Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Since Misery Loves Company...

Add topic

Rex Walters' USF team started 5-2(including a win over the basketball powerhouse The Academy of Art).  Since then, they have gone 4-12, are now 9-14 and 1-7 in WCC.  T-Rex won't get that big coaching job he so richly deserves with a record like that…

Matt Doherty's SMU team is 7-14 on the year and 1-7, dead last, in CUSA.  Good luck getting back on top of that mountain Matty!

All that and these two men are at least in part (and a strong argument can be made that they are almost entirely) responsible for the current state of the FAU program.

Helluva year guys!!   >:(
Back to the top

Re: Since Misery Loves Company...

Doherty will be coaching at the YMCA if this keeps up...
Back to the top

Since Misery Loves Company...

Doherty is in his 3rd season at SMU. His first recruits are Juniors or red shirt Sophs.

Things are working out for the best at FAU. Jarvis is supposed to be there.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

illinoisowl said

Things are working out for the best at FAU. Jarvis is supposed to be there.

Everyone always says "wait until next year"…but being completely objective (and not partisan as an Owl Fan), i trully believe, bottom dollar, that you are 100% correct…and that next year we will immediately see first fruits of this class we have coming in:

2009-2010 Class
Back to the top

Florida_Owl said

Doherty will be coaching at the YMCA if this keeps up…

I wouldn't want him as my coach there either lol. This was it, he blew it. This was his last chance at coaching in college. He had a job at FAU where he turned the team around in his first year and we were expecting big things with him then as Steve Miller once said he "took the money and ran." So he goes SMU and he's done nothing but lose there. Who would hire him? Even if SMU gives him 1 more season which they shouldn't. Going by W/L record alone SMU was a better team before he showed up

Here's the 3 seasons BEFORE Doherty….
13 W 2005-06
14 W 2004-05
12 W 2003-04

And the 3 season WITH Doherty
14 W 2006-07
10 W 2007-08
  7 W 2008-09

granted 08-09 isn't over yet but look at the difference. The old coach improved his win totals. 12 in his first year and 13 his last year. Doherty's win totals have gone backwards from 14 to whatever he gets this season. I say unless he miraculously beats Memphis and wins the C-USA tournament and makes the NCAA tournament then he gets canned

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Jab979 said

Florida_Owl said

Doherty will be coaching at the YMCA if this keeps up…

I wouldn't want him as my coach there either lol. This was it, he blew it. This was his last chance at coaching in college. He had a job at FAU where he turned the team around in his first year and we were expecting big things with him then as Steve Miller once said he "took the money and ran." So he goes SMU and he's done nothing but lose there. Who would hire him? Even if SMU gives him 1 more season which they shouldn't. Going by W/L record alone SMU was a better team before he showed up

Here's the 3 seasons BEFORE Doherty….
13 W 2005-06
14 W 2004-05
12 W 2003-04

And the 3 season WITH Doherty
14 W 2006-07
10 W 2007-08
  7 W 2008-09

granted 08-09 isn't over yet but look at the difference. The old coach improved his win totals. 12 in his first year and 13 his last year. Doherty's win totals have gone backwards from 14 to whatever he gets this season. I say unless he miraculously beats Memphis and wins the C-USA tournament and makes the NCAA tournament then he gets canned

Big proponent of the spoken word and commitment…he also said that he was "building a foundation" at FAU…had a special brick made with the players names on it, then he blazed…

No surprise what is happening now…you reap what you sew…and in this case, it is broken promises.

Coach DOH!
Back to the top

I think our program's biggest problem has been our inability to name a coach in a timely manner.  Doherty came in late.  He has to recruit whatever is left over and we were in the A-Sun.  Then Doherty leaves and we interview "outsiders" and then finally stay with Rex.  Then Rex gets some players lined up his second year to come in, but they decide against it when he leaves.  It takes us forever to name Jarvis and he has to go after anything he can find.

We have not had a "normal" recruiting season since we have been in the Sun Belt and our results in the Sun Belt show that.  Our best guys are A-Sun recruited players.  When you have to sign guys very late, they typically have some baggage.

Hopefully Jarvis sticks it out and we can get some stability in the next year or two.
Back to the top

This years class is pretty solid
Back to the top

fauowl said

I think our program's biggest problem has been our inability to name a coach in a timely manner.  Doherty came in late.  He has to recruit whatever is left over and we were in the A-Sun.  Then Doherty leaves and we interview "outsiders" and then finally stay with Rex.  Then Rex gets some players lined up his second year to come in, but they decide against it when he leaves.  It takes us forever to name Jarvis and he has to go after anything he can find.

We have not had a "normal" recruiting season since we have been in the Sun Belt and our results in the Sun Belt show that.  Our best guys are A-Sun recruited players.  When you have to sign guys very late, they typically have some baggage.

Hopefully Jarvis sticks it out and we can get some stability in the next year or two.

not true.. he was named coach very quickly after doherty left

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

<br>The one and only, world famous checklist signature is back!
Back to the top

owl09 said

fauowl said

not true.. he was named coach very quickly after doherty left

Right.  I think he was named coach the next day.  In fact, if I recall, we didn't lose any of Doherty's recruits from that year.  I think it was Perkins, Hughley, Nwoji, and Kone.
Back to the top
Control functions: