Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU to convert to A-11 Offense?

Is the A-11 Formation a legitimate formation according to current rules?

Yes
No
What is it?
Spread Schmed...Smash Mouth rules!

You must select between 1 and 27 options

Ok, highly unlikey ;)

BUT:

This is an interesting principle, and  i would be very interested to hear Howards take on the "offense" as he has so eliquently refered to the spread as the "national offense"…this takes even that to new levels:

In essense, two tightends and a center bolten the o-line…you then have a qb and back in the back field out of the gun…lastly, six wideouts:

In the A-11 formation, you have an infinite amount of plays…you also have on jersey numbers in the range that receivers generally wear, so you do not know who the down linemen are…players do not wear the traditional jersey numbers for linemen: they use 1-49, and 80 through 99.

This allows for all eleven players to be eligible, and creates a super spread atmosphere:

But it has had its challenges, and will be looked at by some to determine if it should stand…

Here's more on the relatively new scheme:

A-11 now has to play defense

Back to the top

Re: FAU to convert to A-11 Offense?

If I am not mistaken the linemen in the formation cannot go downfield. So three guys will not be receivers.

In any case, it is obviously difficult to defend if not prepared, but it has thus far only existed as a gimmick formation. A similar formation includes a field-goal formation with snapper alone on the line with holder and kicker in normal position and the remaining eight players lined up on one side of the field. If the defense doesn't adjust the snapper can get the ball to the holder who throws to his choice of eight wide open guys with the seven remaining to block. Again, it is a gimmick that rarely works when teams are prepared to defend it.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

owlfan1 said

If I am not mistaken the linemen in the formation cannot go downfield. So three guys will not be receivers.

The article state they can…check it out…

It's a very interesting scheme to say the least…and the hillarious part is that it is already being met by objection…

HS would never go for something like this IMO…unless it was a trick play…

Hoever, if they allow it to stand, you can bet your bottom dollar this will show up in Urban Myers playbook…
Back to the top

Yeah, I was just reading all this on yahoo. Some high schools us it, and some, it is frowned upon as boarderline cheating. That's why some schools are being banned from playing.

To me it sounds like a cheap way of winning in highschool, and it would not give the kids the real experience and practice they need to move up to college level.
Back to the top

this offense works in highschool, but it could never work at the collegiate level.  defenses would eat this up.

"This is Troy's conference. We just play in it. There are some people who claim that no one can separate themselves in the SBC on talent alone. They are wrong." - CajunNation
Back to the top

Trojan said

this offense works in highschool, but it could never work at the collegiate level.  defenses would eat this up.

tell that to FSU back in 96…….UF ran this formation that year in the national championship and several times that year.  it worked pretty well cause defenses werent ready for it.  QB has to have a quick release though!
Back to the top

FAU to convert to A-11 Offense?

Nunzio42 said

Trojan said

tell that to FSU back in 96…….UF ran this formation that year in the national championship and several times that year.  it worked pretty well cause defenses werent ready for it.  QB has to have a quick release though!

I watched that game, and I don't remember anything like this.

I don't see how this can be legal, unless there is a loophole in the Federation rule that isn't there in college or pro.  If not, then what's the point of giving anyone 50-79, if you can just be an eligible receiver because of your number?  Let's just give all the lineman a low number to make them eligible, and we don't even have to bother with the A-11.  We can run the friggin' wishbone and everyone will be eligible.  What's to keep the QB from handing off to the center or guard?  There's something funny in that article.
Back to the top

I've gotten a kick out of the A-11 for the last year when it started making news. Big Dog, it's not legal in NCAA Div 1 football from what I remember reading. It's a high school gimmick offense where intimidation works much better than execution at times.

The best thing about this offense is that it's now for sale for the low low price of $199.

http://deadspin.com/5149682/installing-the-a+11-offense-for-fun-and-profit
Back to the top

Formation is garbage
Back to the top

rdownin1 said

Formation is garbage

No, please tell us how you really feel!

:D  ;D
Back to the top
Control functions: