Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU and the stimulus

Add topic

Anybody hear any rumblings about FAU or Boca getting any money from the stimulus? I know Crist was in town today and saw Brogan. How about some of the stimulus money being used for the new overpass into FAU?
Back to the top

Re: FAU and the stimulus

No but I did read that all Florida Universities will be raising tuition over the next several years until it is in line with the national avg. I just wondered what that is going to do to enrollment and students that might have to live at home instead of student housing to save money due to the increase in tuition. How is that going to affect projections for demand for student housing and the market value of the development rights to build new housing.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

FAU and the stimulus

illinoisowl said

No but I did read that all Florida Universities will be raising tuition over the next several years until it is in line with the national avg. I just wondered what that is going to do to enrollment and students that might have to live at home instead of student housing to save money due to the increase in tuition. How is that going to affect projections for demand for student housing and the market value of the development rights to build new housing.

I don't think it will affect housing. We are finally getting in line with the rest of the nation. I do not think universities in other states have problems with filling their housing.
Back to the top

Lago said

illinoisowl said

I don't think it will affect housing. We are finally getting in line with the rest of the nation. I do not think universities in other states have problems with filling their housing.

I think it's a shame, i understand the Universities are in dire straits as far as budget cuts go but making college unaffordable for some people is not the solution.  Over the past few years Florida has prided itself on good public college's with reasonable rates.  I guess the fat cats in Tallahasse don't realize this because they can afford to send their kids to private school's with silver spoon in hand.  Thankfully, from what i've read so far FAU does not plan to increase their rates to the max as schools like UCF, USF, FIU Etc. are talking.
Back to the top

The said

I think it's a shame, i understand the Universities are in dire straits as far as budget cuts go but making college unaffordable for some people is not the solution.  Over the past few years Florida has prided itself on good public college's with reasonable rates. 

While starving every college not named UF.

Look, I spent a lot of time in the Financial Aid office looking into loans, grants, etc and there is honestly enough money to go around. Every year I was basically told, "Everybody who applies for financial aid will at least get a loan offer if nothing else." In fact, there was a recent article saying that there's a bunch of money that sits unused (i.e. Pell Grants) because people self-select themselves out of applying for them.

So I don't really feel bad for people who are complaining about whether they can afford tuition once it goes up. Get a loan like the rest of us did. Like the rest of the country did… all those people going to non-Florida universities and paying enough money so their colleges can retain good professors, upgrade technology, etc

I think all we'll see is a rise in part-time students vs full time.
Back to the top

I have loans out.
Back to the top

With the expansion of the Community Colleges into 'State Colleges' that offer 4-yr degrees there will still be an affordable option out there.  The State Universities are losing professors and departments like woah, something has to be done to stem the tide.  Its either increase taxes (or divert from elsewhere) which wont happen or increase user fees, which is what they are doing.

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

I'm not sure if this is directed at general funding, or possibly towards the stadium project…but if the latter:

IMO, the "stimulus" will have no affect on FAU…and they might not need it with the two companies that have shown recent interest in potentially ponying up the funds in the 11th hour.
Back to the top
Control functions: