Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Opens Solar Panel System at Downtown Ft. Lauderdale Campus

Add topic

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

Re: FAU Opens Solar Panel System at Downtown Ft. Lauderdale Campus

FAU Opens Solar Panel System at Downtown Ft. Lauderdale Campus

not that anyone besides me and seminowl will get this but take a look at our ole planning department director Vos up there with the big dogs,

anyways glad to see this getting done, they told us about this over a year ago, i believe they were also considering doing the side of the building as technology improved, maybe they will start doing this in boca and take advantage of all of those flat empty roofs
Back to the top

der said

not that anyone besides me and seminowl will get this but take a look at our ole planning department director Vos up there with the big dogs,

anyways glad to see this getting done, they told us about this over a year ago, i believe they were also considering doing the side of the building as technology improved, maybe they will start doing this in boca and take advantage of all of those flat empty roofs

Isn't it stupid to have all those flat roofs? Doesn't water just collect on top and rot the roof away?

Would it make sense to put a lawn up there? (I know that sounds funny to some but a growing number of schools are creating "green roofs" by basically putting a lawn of grass on top of the roof)
Back to the top

owlcountry said

der said

Isn't it stupid to have all those flat roofs? Doesn't water just collect on top and rot the roof away?

Would it make sense to put a lawn up there? (I know that sounds funny to some but a growing number of schools are creating "green roofs" by basically putting a lawn of grass on top of the roof)

Most flat roofs have drains and scuppers to get rid of extra water.  I would think the water would help keep the roof cooler in the summer. I wonder if they build roofs stronger up north for the snow.  I bet that roofs down here might not be designed to support grass and things like that.  Besides how do you get a mower up there?
Back to the top

HOTEL said

Most flat roofs have drains and scuppers to get rid of extra water.  I would think the water would help keep the roof cooler in the summer. I wonder if they build roofs stronger up north for the snow.  I bet that roofs down here might not be designed to support grass and things like that.  Besides how do you get a mower up there?

Hmmm,

Fly a helicopter upsdie down?  ;D

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

both grass and solar have their advantages, grass helps the environment as well as insolation for the building and could make the roofs usable space, solar provides energy, grass would require massive amounts of remodeling and dont we have enough grass on the boca campus, either one would be good for retrofiting buildings for LEED certification, though i doubt we will see much of this until the boca campus approaches build out
Back to the top

Interesting to note is that they intend to use the money saved for a scholarship 'powered by the sun'.

Future buildings will likely include green roofs as part of a LEED program.  Saving on utilities is big, and designing buildings green is favored by the State for obvious funding related reasons.

2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

This is VERY cool.  So cool..

www.fausolar.com

Hopefully everyone else will share my enthusiasm

Back to the top
Control functions: