Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Dorm rumors

Add topic

i have heard from many people that all the dorms are going to be freshmen except for half of IRT and the student apartments i also heard that freshmen who live on campus will not be allowed to have cars
any conformation
and what do you think of this personally i thinks its good it will force more upper classmen to live in the area around campus and as for the freshmen not having cars maybe now less will drive home on weekends and there will be more parking for other students 
Back to the top

Re: Dorm rumers

This is been along time coming if so…major Universities already do it…time for us to follow suit…

Smitty:

What's the word??
Back to the top

Here's the e-mail that they sent to students….

Lottery Information
We have received many questions about the number of returning students
who will be allowed to sign up for 2009-2010 housing.  The answer is
800.  The decision to go with this number was by no means arbitrary.
We looked at how many returning students typically sign up for housing
during the room selection process and how many of those students tend
to cancel their contract before the start of the fall semester.
Typically, fewer than 700 returning students actually move in to
housing for the fall semester.  We anticipate that we will be able to
house just as many, if not more, returning students as we ever have.

Preference
After carefully considering feedback that we've received from students,
we have made an adjustment to the process.  Preference will be given to
students who will complete 30 hours (or fewer) by the end of the Spring
2009 semester and who have permanent addresses listed outside of a 50
mile radius from the Boca Raton campus.  All other students will be
considered equal in the process.

Available Spaces
Returning students will be able to choose a space in Algonquin Hall,
the University Village Apartments, or Indian River Towers.  Glades Park
Towers and Heritage Park Towers will only be available to incoming
freshmen.

Waiting List
If you are unable to sign up for a space during the room selection
process, you will be able to place your name on a waiting list.  This
will be separate from the incoming freshman waiting list.  So, as
returning students cancel their contracts, we will fill spaces with
other returning students.

Eventually every dorm wil be freshman only. They want to keep the dorms fresman only and then have the student apartments and the new apartments that will go up with Innovation Village.
Back to the top

*Re: Dorm rumors

I had heard that when the 2400 beds of Innovation Village finally goes in, all the south side dorms will be underclassmen and the Innovation Village will be upperclassmen. They want to create that division.

In terms of this Fall '09 semester, nothing is explicitly stated on the website so far about what you've suggested. An interesting document has popped up on the housing website, however:

ERROR: A link was posted here (url) but it appears to be a broken link.

http://wise.fau.edu/housing/Apply_Now/Documents/Room_Selection_2009.pdf

It talks about how room selection will now be on-line and gives details about a new lottery system for housing (everyone gets a random number and those in a certain range are invited to claim one room and pull one other person in, regardless of their year or lottery number).

Back to the subject: I'm not big on the "freshmen no cars" thing. I think it will keep more people from applying for housing, which drives down demand, which then in turn slows housing process (which I think needs to be sped up). Furthermore, the area around Boca provides some of the necessary amenities (CVS, Barnes, etc) but not enough to be sufficient. Imagine walking home with three or four bags of groceries from the Publix on 20th. Even the Whole Foods on Glades. Which wouldn't be an issue if the Palm Tran system ran every ten minutes. But it doesn't.

As a result, you still need a car to live comfortably at FAU. Right now you do.

Back to the top

Re: Dorm rumors

This has been talked about for years.

I think that last year was the tipping point with freshman being shut out of the dorms.

Remember that not all freshmen get admitted, or apply, in the spring. Some may come for orientation and leave. Or some may sign up to come to FAU in July if their first or second choice didn't get back to them.

And although that may not be a huge number, 20, 30 or 40 times that happens, that's a huge number.

Plus, with Innovation Village coming on board, no matter how far it may be away, and same with Greek housing, they are starting to allow more freshmen to live on campus in anticipation that those special housing projects will be for upperclassmen. At least one could assume that's someone's line of thought.

Giving preference to those that have 30 credit hours or less means they are still giving preference to first-year, or second-year freshmen.

And having upperclassman sign up for Algonquin or the Student Apartments put them on a 12-month contract, which those students would most likley be on anyway if they lived in an apartment complex off campus.

I love the idea.

We'll have to see how the "no car" rumor plays out. FAU would bend and break for certain cases, I would assume, and it would dissolve the rule.

Although I have no problem with making the parking garage by SO resident parking only. It's truly not that far of a walk.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

I don't think that they'll say no cars, if they did that, then whats the purpose of the GPT lot and the IRT lot? No one would ever park in GPT lot and not all of IRT lot would be full. I think they'll let them bring their cars. I know some schools don't allow it, but I don't think FAU is at that point yet. There's just not enough things around the school to be able to get by without a car. I have a feeling that this year's selection process is going to make many people unhappy. There's also no squatting. You used to be able to go sign up and say, I want to stay in my same room and that was that, but now with the lottery, if someone wants your room before you get picked, you're out of luck
Back to the top

Dorm rumors

In most major colleges freshman are not allowed to have cars on campus. I don't have a problem with that, like what OwlCountry40 said it will keep more people on campus and prevent them from going home on weekends. Here's the negative aspect of that. Until there's some sort of a convenience store like a 7-11 type of thing on campus that you can get groceries or laundry detergent then it will be very difficult to tell freshman sorry, no cars. The other negative is right now is Lockhart. If you tell them no cars and the only friends they have right now are other freshman how are they expected to get to the games? Do we still provide transportation to all home games? What about the games at Dolphin Stadium?

It's not a bad idea for the future but get innovation village set up and the stadium on campus and get more housing for students and then I say implement that rule

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Jab979 said

It's not a bad idea for the future but get innovation village set up and the stadium on campus and get more housing for students and then I say implement that rule

Exactly.

Although, I do know some freshmen without cars who still go home every weekend. Someone comes to pick them up… parents, friends, etc

FAU is obviously trying to solve the problem of keeping kids on campus at all times nights and weekend. Thing is, the problem has many layers: limited on-campus entertainment opportunities, freshmen dorms like GPT/HPT having no living rooms so you feel cramped in your own place, irritating dorm mates and, since FAU continues to pull from the local area, people tend not to put in a lot of effort to make friends with on-campus people because all their old friends (from high school) are fifteen minutes away.

The more people you have on-campus, the more there is to do here, the more people that will stay. I keep telling people that and they look at me like I don't know what I'm talking about. The Rec Center is a nice start. The Student Union is picking up but has more or less peaked out.

What else is there? The volleyball court/BBQ pits?

UNF has a skate park. UF has a bowling alley. UCF has a pool. Those are the kind of things we need to consider adding to campus. We have a pool and an independent movie theater on the way which is definitely important (even though I would wager 95% of FAU's student population could give a **** less about independent and foreign film).

I know FAU isn't a theme park but there are little things we can do (board game rental in the Student Union), moderate things we can do (paintball field) and large-scale things we can do (bowling alley, skate park). It's just a matter of the right people who have control over the funding to do the right thing and make it happen.
Back to the top

I know I'm one of the minority on this topic but I'm not exactly happy about this lottery system. I like living on campus (loved until this year). I understand that most upperclassmen want to live off campus but I can't get a loan for that and I don't want to live in Royal Palm Beach while taking classes in Boca and FTL. That's way too much gas for me to spend. This lottery system lessens my chance to get a room and with all the roommates I want. This year I am living in a horrid situtation b/c of a roommate I didn't know and don't want to experience that again next year. Oh well, maybe I'll get lucky or I sure hope gas prices stay down.

AEA
Back to the top

owlcountry said

FAU is obviously trying to solve the problem of keeping kids on campus at all times nights and weekend. Thing is, the problem has many layers: limited on-campus entertainment opportunities, freshmen dorms like GPT/HPT having no living rooms so you feel cramped in your own place, irritating dorm mates and, since FAU continues to pull from the local area, people tend not to put in a lot of effort to make friends with on-campus people because all their old friends (from high school) are fifteen minutes away.

Both GPT and HPT have common rooms, for what it's worth.

Jab979 said

In most major colleges freshman are not allowed to have cars on campus. I don't have a problem with that, like what OwlCountry40 said it will keep more people on campus and prevent them from going home on weekends. Here's the negative aspect of that. Until there's some sort of a convenience store like a 7-11 type of thing on campus that you can get groceries or laundry detergent then it will be very difficult to tell freshman sorry, no cars. The other negative is right now is Lockhart. If you tell them no cars and the only friends they have right now are other freshman how are they expected to get to the games? Do we still provide transportation to all home games? What about the games at Dolphin Stadium?

As far as I know, yes, there is still transportation. This no cars rumor will do wonders for that bus program. It will fill the buses.

Also - there is no 7-11 on campus, but there are three places where students can by "essentials:" Bookstore (open during the day), Outakes (open in the Student Union for some evenings) and Outakes in GPT.

In addition, there is also the 24-hour gas station across the street. And yes, while crossing Glades Road may not be the safest thing in the world - you can be lazy and still get there.

1. call the Night Owls to take you to the edge of campus
  2. Cross the street, buy your stuff, cross the street back to FAU
  3. Call the Night Owls to pick you back up.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top
Control functions: