Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

ESPN Article on South Caroloina- Might be hitting them at the right time.

Error Page

Looks like spurrier has his hands full at SC with lots of changes.

Im still not getting my hopes up but I feel we have a better shot at SC then Nebraska.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

Re: ESPN Article on South Caroloina- Might be hitting them at the right time.

ESPN Article on South Caroloina- Might be hitting them at the right time.

"We have a lot of good players here," Spurrier said. "I told our guys the other day, 'If our recruiting is ranked as high as sixth one year and 12th two years later, that means we're supposed to finish in the Top 10 in the country, fellas. That means we've got some ball players here, so let's try to eliminate the excuses and see if we can't mentally believe that we can go win a championship."

Ill take Nebraska…
Back to the top

I don't like our chances in either game.  Remember when we went to Kentucky?  How good was Kentucky that year?  Nothing special if i recall and they still crushed us!  Same with Kansas & Kansas State, until we can prove we can handle ourselves on the road against BCS schools i'm just going to assume these are more "body bag" games.
Back to the top

The said

I don't like our chances in either game.  Remember when we went to Kentucky?  How good was Kentucky that year?  Nothing special if i recall and they still crushed us!  Same with Kansas & Kansas State, until we can prove we can handle ourselves on the road against BCS schools i'm just going to assume these are more "body bag" games.

Kentucky was pretty good that year…8-5…quaility wins over FSU…Louisville…

But i toally agree with you that we do need a serious statement game against a worthy road opponent!
Back to the top

Even if Nebraska and South Carolina are down, they are still at a different level. That doesn't mean FAU can't win. I just don't like our chances. What I do hope for is a more competetive outcome than what we have seen against past BCS conference opponents.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

I only expect a competitive outcome from FAU. These other schools play at a higher level and I think we are not ready for that. I also expect better or equal coverage on TV for FAU than last year.
I think we finish 7 - 5 this year with a chance for a bowl bid. I don't see a conference title in 09.
GO OWLS!
Back to the top

We all love the school but be realistic. We've been playing football for 6 years, roughly, and have never even come close vs. a BCS school, and i'm not counting the Minnesota game two years ago because they were 1-10 and lost to a 1AA team.

Even this past year if you look our results i think they were pretty freaking lame. We squeaked by WKU, got lucky as hell vs. FIU, squeaked another one out vs. ULM and let up a ton of points to UAB. We played well in three games, UNT, ULL and CMU. That's nothing great at all, its what an average sunbelt team does. And i still think the qb of CMU was hurt because that guy, Lefevour, was the leading rusher on the team and probably had 20 yards vs. us. Anyone who has watched a minute of FAU football knows they have NEVER stopped a mobile qb so i don't think our defense suddenly figured it out.

I'm not bashing the team because they are obviously my favorite college team hands down. But reality is they have never done anything to be considered a top 50 team in college football.
Back to the top

Exit39 said

We all love the school but be realistic. We've been playing football for 6 years, roughly, and have never even come close vs. a BCS school, and i'm not counting the Minnesota game two years ago because they were 1-10 and lost to a 1AA team.

Even this past year if you look our results i think they were pretty freaking lame. We squeaked by WKU, got lucky as hell vs. FIU, squeaked another one out vs. ULM and let up a ton of points to UAB. We played well in three games, UNT, ULL and CMU. That's nothing great at all, its what an average sunbelt team does. And i still think the qb of CMU was hurt because that guy, Lefevour, was the leading rusher on the team and probably had 20 yards vs. us. Anyone who has watched a minute of FAU football knows they have NEVER stopped a mobile qb so i don't think our defense suddenly figured it out.

I'm not bashing the team because they are obviously my favorite college team hands down. But reality is they have never done anything to be considered a top 50 team in college football.

Best Exit39 post ever??

;D

Back to the top

Our problem is home and away (or lack thereof) against the big dogs.  We beat Minnie at home, came close (should have won) against USF at home.  Michigan State in 2010 should be interesting, I think the boys come out for the home crowd when its a big team.

Playing in front of 50, 60, 70, 80 thousand fans that all hate you, rooting against you, it ain't easy for any team, and I think its even harder for a team like us who isnt used to playing in front of that many of their own fans ever.  You bring a Big boy to our sold out 30k stadium and I bet we give them a game.  That was the reason UCF gave Texas a game, and I think we all forgot about that when we started thinking we had a shot AT Texas.  Once we can beat them at home, then we can work on beating them in their house…but to do that we need a stadium and we need home and away series

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

I have to agree with some of the above posters regarding the BCS schools being on a higher level than us.  No matter how you look at it, thats the way it is, if we were on the same level, we wouldn't be in the Sunbelt.  Not that I'm bashing on the SBC, that's where we belong for now, I'm just saying.  USC or Nebraska's worst game day is still likely better than our best game day. 

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top
Control functions: