Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Can We Handle the Truth?! Cast your vote!

Add topic

At this point, do supporters deserve a Town Hall held by FAU to discuss the current situation regarding the football stadium and the Innovation Village?

Yes
No

You must select between 1 and 47 options

It would be nice if FAU and/or FAU Athletics would host a town hall or some sort of gathering to discuss the current situation of the stadium and innovation village. The press makes it seem like the stadium will not be ready for the 2010 season as planned, FAU administration appear optimistic, but very are vague as to why. And we (the fans, students and alumni) are left in the dark with no real gauge on the situation.

If FAU held some sort of event to discuss the situation, honestly and openly, I think a lot of good would come from this: suggestions, new ideas, donations, proper communication with supporters, etc.

I don't know about everyone else, but I have no faith in the stadium being ready on time because FAU has not shown any reason to think it will be. If not that's fine, but until I have the facts, I will not contribute anymore money to FAU because I feel they are not being honest and are not communicating well with supporters.

What do you all think???

"FAU is on a collision course with the national championship. The only variable is time."
Back to the top

Re: Can We Handle the Truth?!

The problem with all of this is transparency. The university has been very hesitant to keep people informed and it seems like something is always being hidden. Updates are few and far between and when they do come out they really don't give us any new information. At this point I think people would rather hear university officials say that 2010 is not going to happen and now we need to focus on 2011 as opposed to continuing to talk up 2010 ultimately just to have it get pushed to 2011 anyway.

To answer the question "Can we handle the truth?" I say yes. I want the truth as opposed to being led along like a mule with a carrot.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Dont think it would do much good to be honest.

Im sure that FAU is trying DESPERATELY to find a naming rights sponsor, because to loose the developmental rights would hurt financialy in the long run.

They arent going to tell us, nor do I feel they should divulge to much in these tough times. If a compnay is interested and it leaks out that they are going to drop that much flow onto a stadium, you would probably have a riot by an investors in the company.

It needs to get done, that is the only given at this time. Lockhart is simply the WORST FBS (maybe even FCS) faility in Football.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

owlfamily said

If a compnay is interested and it leaks out that they are going to drop that much flow onto a stadium, you would probably have a riot by an investors in the company.

They don't have to tell us the name of that company, tell us whether or not they have any prospects for stadium naming rights. Tell us if any of the other naming rights have been sold or are close to being sold. Tell us how far off financially they are and how much they need to get started. Tell us their plans for campaigning for donations. Tell us they are going to start an ambassador program. Tell us they are considering raising the athletic fees. Tell us ANYTHING!

I have several ideas to help to get money for this project. I'm sure many of you have suggestions and ideas and possibly connections to getting money/ sponsors. But the only forum to discuss those ideas is this message board, which isn't the proper channel. FAU is only hurting by not including the supporters in this process. I'm not saying we have a right to know, but I think it's in both FAU and our best interest to host a Town Hall.

"FAU is on a collision course with the national championship. The only variable is time."
Back to the top

Owlando said

I have several ideas to help to get money for this project. I'm sure many of you have suggestions and ideas and possibly connections to getting money/ sponsors. But the only forum to discuss those ideas is this message board, which isn't the proper channel. FAU is only hurting by not including the supporters in this process. I'm not saying we have a right to know, but I think it's in both FAU and our best interest to host a Town Hall.

Have you sent Terry Mohajir in FAU Athletics an e-mail with your ideas? Or talked with him at an event?

Also… I don't think a townhall meeting would work. Gathering ideas is one thing. A townhall meeting is another.

FAU is doing everything they can to try and find a donor. They have been close at least once that we all know of, and probably a few times more.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

smittysahoot said

Have you sent Terry Mohajir in FAU Athletics an e-mail with your ideas? Or talked with him at an event?
Also… I don't think a townhall meeting would work. Gathering ideas is one thing. A townhall meeting is another.
FAU is doing everything they can to try and find a donor. They have been close at least once that we all know of, and probably a few times more.

No, I have not emailed or spoken with Terry, as I do not know who he/she is or what exactly he/she does? If it wasn't for your post, this person would have never existed to me, so thank you for providing me with an appropriate contact, I do appreciate it. But this is exactly what I am talking about, the communication between FAU and their supporters is so poor, that we have to resort to this message board to find out information.

The Town Hall would be more than just an opportunity to gather ideas. It's a chance for supporters to find out who is doing what, where are we at, where do we hope to be and by when, what is being done, what can we do to help, etc. I believe supporters would donate their time, money and expertise if they felt involved in this process or at least had some factual knowledge of it status.

That's why the majority of the results of this poll say YES to a Town Hall, becuase they want to know and they want to be involved.

Back to the top

I'm as frustrated as anyone, but the more I think about it, I'm not sure how much the administration can really say without showing their hand.

First – and we've all heard this one – if they tell us who they're negotiating with, someone else may step in and tell the sponsor, "hey, what are you messing with FAU for?  You get more bang for your buck with us."

But the administraton has to look strong, too.  If there really is no one out there, and they show desperation, a potential sponsor may swoop in and totally lowball the offer.  "Hmmm… you want $20M?  We'll give you $12M."

Sounds to me like they are trying to play big stakes poker with few chips and a lousy hand.  When that's what you have, you better have a good poker face.
Back to the top

Can We Handle the Truth?! Cast your vote!

The said

Sounds to me like they are trying to play big stakes poker with few chips and a lousy hand.  When that's what you have, you better have a good poker face.

I agree with your analogy, and it's a poor strategy on FAU's part.

The bottom line is FAU needs to raise $12million before May 1, 2009 to secure a loan to begin construction, so the stadium can be built in time for the 2010 season.

Here is an idea, FAU: host a Town Hall and charge $10 for admission to it. Even if you only get a turnout of 100 people, that's a $1,000 towards to stadium. Who knows, FAU may get a turnout of the 1000 people ($100,000).

$12million in less than two months. How much of that do they currently have? What is their strategy to meet this goal? Based on this thread's poll, an overwhelming majority of us want to know this info.This is a historic time for the FAU community and the university isn't really including the community in it.

In my honest opinion, unless FAU changes their "play big stakes poker with few chips and a lousy hand" strategy, we will NOT see an on-campus stadium in 2010, and quite possibly 2011 either.

Back to the top

Some of the responsibility to find out who these people are lies with the fans and alumni as well.

And Owlando Magic, I really appreciate your maturity in this matter. Some posters in other forums (and maybe this one) come on and just blast FAU and how poor their marketing is. Then when I tell them who to contact, they are still negative.

www.fausports.com and then go to staff directory. Terry is the AD for External Relations. He'll listen to what you have to say.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

I like the ideas on here because offering opinions can never be a bad thing.  I want the stadium as bad as the next person.  I'm not sure a town hall will draw buyers.  We struggle to get fans to games, in many cases for free (both football and basketball).

As a business person, I don't see corporations holding town halls to discuss the direction of their projects with their stockholders so I am confused why FAU should be inclined to do it.

I think they have been as upfront as possible saying we don't have the necessary funds, we are pursuing it, and still have hope.

Personally, I think we will not see the stadium in 2010.  Not many companies out there that can part with money to help build stadiums.  But I don't want to hear FAU say they gave up yet, because until the deadline is past, I want them to keep working on the deal.

I donate to the university, but I don't see how a town hall explaining to me details, is going to build it any faster.

Now if we are a million dollars short, and they want to do a fund-raiser to finish off the project and let everyone see behind the curtain, then that would be of value.

Back to the top
Control functions: