Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

You've been waitlisted... at FAU

Add topic

Speaking of Kimberly Miller: Applications up sharply at FAU

Some excerpts:

Florida Atlantic University has an enrollment wait list for the first time in its history as a crush of freshman applications floods its admissions office.

The number of applications is a 28 percent increase over this time last year, a change that is also upping the academic standards needed to get into FAU.

The increase in eager students means it's going to be harder to get into FAU. Students who applied in the early fall were considered for admissions if they had 2.6 GPA's and 1450 on the SAT, which now tops out at 2400 points when including the reading, writing and math sections.

But as seats filled up, Pletcher said students currently need a 3.5 GPA and 1600 SAT score for admission.

Back to the top

Re: You've been waitlisted... at FAU

AWESOME

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

owlcountry said

Speaking of Kimberly Miller: Applications up sharply at FAU

But as seats filled up, Pletcher said students currently need a 3.5 GPA and 1600 SAT score for admission.

It's been awhile since I took the SAT, isn't a 1600 on the SAT a perfect score? I know they changed it right after I graduated so mabye 1600 isn't a perfect score anymore. Anyways, its still good to see requirements going up.
Back to the top

You've been waitlisted... at FAU

800 math
800 english
800 reading (new)

2400 is perfect

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Back to the top

I remember...though sad to say it now...that I got into FAU for fall 04 with a 1050 SAT (old system) and a 2.9 GPA. Glad to see that we are not taking lightly our "safe school" image anymore.
Back to the top

horned_owl said

I remember…though sad to say it now…that I got into FAU for fall 04 with a 1050 SAT (old system) and a 2.9 GPA. Glad to see that we are not taking lightly our "safe school" image anymore.

I agree. Great post. Soon it will no longer be "oh i don't have the grades for UF so I'll go to FAU for a year and transfer." 3.5 GPA and a 1600 on your SATs. I'm impressed.

How do our standards for admission compare to other Florida schools?

UM, UF, FSU, USF, UCF, FIU

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

smittysahoot said

800 math
800 english
800 reading (new)

2400 is perfect
 i thought the new one was writing
Back to the top

yeah, probably is writing.

Back to the top

This is the FAU admissions requirements

FAU - Freshman Requirements

From the link:
Florida Atlantic University calculates the academic grade point average used in the admissions selection criteria. Additional weight is given to all courses clearly marked Honors, Advanced, Gifted, Advanced Placement, Advanced International Certificate of Education or International Baccalaureate. Beginning fall 2009, a minimum recalculated grade point average (gpa) of 2.6 will be required.

This is probably the highest minimum GPA in FL for state schools. I know other universities, including UF, have freshman classes with a higher avg gpa but you can still apply with a 2.0 and take your chances.  FAU will not accept anything less than a 2.6 starting this fall.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

illinoisowl said

This is probably the highest minimum GPA in FL for state schools. I know other universities, including UF, have freshman classes with a higher avg gpa but you can still apply with a 2.0 and take your chances.  FAU will not accept anything less than a 2.6 starting this fall.

It was supposed to be 2.8.

Maybe they'll actually do 2.8 starting next year.
Back to the top
Control functions: