Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

IT'S OFFICIAL: Wyoming Completes 2009 Schedule

Mountain West Conference announces 2009 Football Schedule

The 2009 Mountain West Conference football schedule was released today and is comprised of 72 games, including 36 conference match-ups. The 2009 schedule plays out over 13 weeks and concludes Thanksgiving weekend. Fifty-two of the 55 MWC-controlled games are set for Saturdays (95 percent), with only one of the remaining three contests moved for television purposes.

The non-conference schedule features 14 games against teams that earned bowl berths in 2008, including Clemson, Florida Atlantic, Florida State, Hawai`i, Minnesota, Navy, Nevada (two games), Oklahoma, Oregon, Oregon State, Texas, Texas Tech and Tulsa. Six opponents finished ranked in last year's final Top 25 polls (USA Today/AP) - #3/4 Texas, #5/5 Oklahoma, #9/10 Oregon, #12/12 Texas Tech, #19/18 Oregon State and #23/21 Florida State.

The MWC will play 14 games against BCS automatic-qualifying conference opponents including six against the Big 12, three match-ups with both the ACC and Pac-10, and one each against the Big East and Big Ten. The remainder of the non-conference schedule features 10 games against the WAC, three match-ups with C-USA and one contest with the Sun Belt. There are two games scheduled against Football Bowl Subdivision independents Army and Navy, and six home dates with Football Championship Subdivision programs.

The 2009 schedule currently features a minimum of 49 telecasts that will be available on a national basis. CBS College Sports Network will air nine games and VERSUS is scheduled for eight telecasts. The entire slate of CBS College Sports Network and VERSUS games will be produced in high-definition (HD). The Mtn. will televise 30 games, again featuring a unique telecast schedule that includes triple-headers on select weekends to maximize institutional exposure and provide fans all the MWC football action.

The MWC anticipates additional television and kick time information for non-conference road games once those conferences finalize their schedules later this summer.

The Mountain West Conference kicks off the season and the TV slate Thursday, September 3, with defending league champion Utah hosting Utah State at 7 p.m. MT live on The Mtn. Seven of the eight remaining teams open the season on Saturday, September 5, while TCU begins its 2009 campaign on Saturday, September 12 at Virginia.

Live game coverage on VERSUS and CBS College Sports Network begins Saturday, September 12. Wyoming hosts Texas at 1:30 p.m. MT on VERSUS and UNLV welcomes Oregon State to Sam Boyd Stadium at 8 p.m. PT on CBS College Sports Network.

VERSUS and CBS College Sports Network are widely available on cable systems across the country and via satellite on DIRECTV (VERSUS-Channel 603/CBS C-Channel 613) and Dish Network (VERSUS-Channel 151/CBS C-Channel 152). The Mtn. is carried nationally by DIRECTV (Channel 616) and numerous cable operators representing over 200 municipalities in nine states.

Below is the complete 2009 Mountain West Conference schedule, including kick times and television information.

Source:  www.ksl.com

Attachment
105 views (71 Kb)
Back to the top

Re: Wyoming to complete schedule for 2009?

FAU's last 09 game to be filled... WYOMING?

I put this up on the SunbeltBBS board, A UCF poster (and a very nice one at that has some of the scoop)

Post from UCF Citrus:

I was actually hoping UCF would look into dropping our 1-AA game to get Wyoming on the schedule. Their deal has to do with Bowling Green being overscheduled or something. At any rate, Wyoming is pretty bad and breaking in a new HC (Dave Christensen, the OC at Missouri), but they did beat Tennessee in Knoxville last year in a 10-6 (iirc) defensive slugfest (or really, offensive incompetence fest). They're definitely beatable for FAU, especially in FTL/Boca. Not sure if FAU can win in Laramie, as I bet the altitude will be a major problem, but I think talent wise it's a good match-up.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

Here's a question that's sort of related. As best I recall, the Owls are obligated by contract to play one game a year at Dolphin Stadium. With a 2009 home slate of Louisiana-Monroe, Western Kentucky, Middle Tennessee, Arkansas State and To Be Announced – which game would it be?

BTW, the Bowling Green site gives no clues other than to confirm that its schedule won't be released for a bit. Other sites show Wyoming and Bowling Green scheduled for Oct. 3.
Back to the top

IT'S OFFICIAL: Wyoming Completes 2009 Schedule

grayowl said

Here's a question that's sort of related. As best I recall, the Owls are obligated by contract to play one game a year at Dolphin Stadium. With a 2009 home slate of Louisiana-Monroe, Western Kentucky, Middle Tennessee, Arkansas State and To Be Announced – which game would it be?

BTW, the Bowling Green site gives no clues other than to confirm that its schedule won't be released for a bit. Other sites show Wyoming and Bowling Green scheduled for Oct. 3.

I believe the contract is only for our home games vs. FIU - not one game every season.

The 2007 game vs. Minny was because of expected attendance, I believe.

But I'm wrong at least 10 times a day, so this could be one of those times.

If it were true that a 2009 game had to be at Dolphin Stadium, I would assume the To Be Announced opponent would be at Dolphin Stadium

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

Little more detailed of their wins and loses…

Ohio                         W 21-20 –
Air Force                 L 3-23 –
North Dakota State W 16-13 –
at (14) Brigham Young L 0-44 –
Bowling Green         L 16-45 –
at New Mexico         L 0-24 –
(14) Utah                 L 7-40 –
at (15) TCU                 L 7-54 –
San Diego State         W 35-10 –
at Tennessee         W 13-7 –
at UNLV                 L 14-22 –
Colorado State         L 20-31
Back to the top

There are some other schedule shake-ups as well. Idaho is re-working their schedule and from what I understan they need a game now.

Ole Miss is out. They filled their open spot with Gardner Webb.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

owlfan1 said

Ole Miss is out. They filled their open spot with Gardner Webb.

Weren't we playing Gardner Webb way back in 2001 or 2002?  That's weak.  Nutt wants some W's. Hell, bring on Utah State.  At least my Dad played there . . .
Back to the top

NCowl said

Little more detailed of their wins and loses…

Ohio                         W 21-20 –
Air Force                  L 3-23 –
North Dakota State W 16-13 –
at (14) Brigham Young L 0-44 –
Bowling Green          L 16-45 –
at New Mexico          L 0-24 –
(14) Utah                  L 7-40 –
at (15) TCU                  L 7-54 –
San Diego State         W 35-10 –
at Tennessee         W 13-7 –
at UNLV                  L 14-22 –
Colorado State          L 20-31

I hope folks don't think this is a potential automatic win for us and set some unreasonable expectations…

As one can see, they are very even par with us results wise and they got alot better towards season's end last year…they  beat UT…not that it was such a daunting task last year, but to beat any SEC program is a major accomplishment at their, or our, level…

And the scores against highly ranked programs mirrors our results…

But, not to get too far ahead here, let's see some ink dry on the contract in appearant negotiation, and take it from there…
Back to the top

not to happy if this is legit, Wyoming.....seriously?!?!?!?
Back to the top

Nunzio42 said

not to happy if this is legit, Wyoming…..seriously?!?!?!?

I'm a little underwhelmed too but honestly wasn't expecting a big name anyway.
Back to the top
Control functions: