Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

New DL coach

There is a posting on Ted's blog, which Ted has confirmed, that Rod Payne has been hired as a new DL coach.

I thought for sure I would see it on here. Like I said, Ted Hutton has confirmed it.

Rod is a HS coach. Played college ball at Michigan and was drafted by the Bengals.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

Re: New DL coach

A member of this board posted it on Ted's blog…

Why they didn't post it here as well?  No idea…

Anyway, we aren't touching anything at the request of FAU until it is "official"…
Back to the top

It's official:

"Rod Payne has been named Florida Atlantic University’s defensive line coach completing the 2009 staff, Football Head Coach Howard Schnellenberger announced today.

“We are fortunate to find a coach that perfectly fits our needs,” said Schnellenberger. “He is from the ‘Florida Atlantic Territory’ (I-4 corridor south), has tremendous collegiate playing experience at Michigan, played in the NFL for the Cincinnati Bengals and the Baltimore Ravens, and has proven to be an outstanding coach earning ‘Coach of the Year’ honors. Most importantly, he has won at everything he has applied himself to.”

Payne, who will work with the defensive tackles, joins the FAU staff after serving as the head coach at Felix Varela Senior High School during the 2008 season. The Miami native has been involved in some form of teaching since 2008 and holds a 94 percent graduation rate for his student-athletes in both football and wrestling. While at West Minster Academy in Fort Lauderdale , his team held a 3.4 GPA+ and ended the 2007 campaign with the school’s first winning-season in 10 years. He earned the 2007 Sun-Sentinel Broward County Football Coach of the Year honors, as well as the South Atlantic Coast Conference (SACC) Football Coach of the Year. His Westminster wrestling team earned more district-qualifiers in the school’s history (nine of 14).

Payne played profession football from 1997-2002. He was the first center selected in the 1997 NFL Draft and was taken in the third round by the Cincinnati Bengals. He was also a member of the 2001 Baltimore Ravens Super Bowl Championship team.

Prior to professional football, Payne played for the University of Michigan where he was named All Big-Ten Honorable Mention as a center in 1994. He was also a recipient of the Victors Award, bestowed to the individual who exhibits the highest level of play, in 1994, 1995 and 1996. Payne was a 1995 and 1996 All Big-Ten first team selection and was a 1996 American Football coaches Association (AFCA) First-Team All-American selection. The center was elected team captain in 1996 and was named both the 1996 Hugh Rader Most Valuable Lineman and the Glen E. “Bo” Schembechler Most Valuable Player. One example of his true grit is the fact that he played 37-consecutive games. Another example occurred during the University of Michigan versus Michigan State University game, when he broke his right wrist, remained in the game and used his left hand to snap.

Payne gained his prep experience at Miami Killian Senior High School (’92), where he was a first team All-County and All-State honoree in 1992. He also earned First Team All-County and All-State honors in wrestling.

Since retiring from professional football, Payne also has co-hosted a radio show, taken a year off to help an ailing friend, written a book, served as a personal trainer, worked as a managing partner of a gym and taught both in the mainstream classroom and special education. He is also a speaker for the Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA).

Source:  FAU Media Relations

Back to the top

"Centered by a Miracle" by Rod Payne and Steve Rom

http://www.amazon.com/Centered-Miracle-Story-Friendship-Football/dp/1596701455

This guys looks like a winner.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

Very impressive
I bet our kids are very excited. He sounds like a class act who can continue to mold our fine youg Owls.

Good hire Coach S. Can't wait to see what he can do for the Defense.
Back to the top

Interesting that a Center becomes a DL coach  ???.  I am sure he will be a great addition to the Owls!  If Coach likes him, then that's good enough for me.  I guess a Center understands the DL pretty well since they are battling the entire game.
Back to the top

On a personal note:

I have a signed copy of Coach Payne's and Steve Rom's book, courtesy of my dad as a gift…

If you haven't read it, it is worth the time.

He signed it:

"Give, Share, and Love!"

-Rod Payne

Awesome man…we are very fortunate to have him here…his character is beyond reproach; and he exemplifies the qualities of a true leader that will make us all proud as Owl Fans.
Back to the top

New DL coach

fauowl said

Interesting that a Center becomes a DL coach  ???.  I am sure he will be a great addition to the Owls!  If Coach likes him, then that's good enough for me.  I guess a Center understands the DL pretty well since they are battling the entire game.

It is pretty common for guys to coach a position that they didn't play. They get experience and they have unique insights to the position. Like he said he probably has a good understanding of what it takes to be a successful D-lineman based on his experience playing on the O-line. I think he will be a solid addition.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top
Control functions: