Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

University Press posts five renderings of the new Science and Engineering Bldg

Add topic

All I can say is… wow.

http://www.upressonline.com/a_look_at_the_green_engineering_building-1.1603560

(Posted in FAU News since the link is from the FAU student newspaper)
Back to the top

Re: University Press posts five renderings of the new Science and Engineering Bldg

Read the first line.

"The new "green" engineering building will be located on the Boca campus. The building is set to be completed in 2010."

I don't know about this deadline. Seems oddly familiar to something we have been hearing about a certain other project.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Re: University Press posts five renderings of the new Science and Engineering Bldg

I can't wait to see it

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

In all seriousness it should be a nice addition to FAU.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Re: University Press posts five renderings of the new Science and Engineering Bl

6 months ago I saw an empty lot by the NW corner of FAU with a sign that said Engineering. I guess that's where the buildg is going to be located. This is awesome for the school. The school is expanding structurally and is using those empty pieces of land for future expansions. I don't know how much of those 850 acres at FAU are occupied by structures. Also most of the new additions are taking place in the north section of the school. Is FAU adding new bldgs by the south section? or the east where the arts and letters faculty is?

FAU, you make me proud.
Back to the top

Re: University Press posts five renderings of the new Science and Engineering Bl

AlexFAU06 said

Is FAU adding new bldgs by the south section? or the east where the arts and letters facility is?

Yes. There's a new academic building that will go up in the IRT parking lot. It will house the independent movie theater as well.

Greek Life is looking at the spot where the hospital would have been as a possible site of the Greek Village although ideally they would prefer space by the stadium so you could see the houses as you came in from Spanish River for a football game. However, they may build a hotel there (Angelos said they were pushing the hotel concept hard)

Other than that, most of the new development will take place in the north; for instance, one building just west of the Education building (in that parking lot) and a building between the Biomedical building and the new Science and Engineering building.
Back to the top

University Press posts five renderings of the new Science and Engineering Bldg

owlcountry said

Greek Life is looking at the spot where the hospital would have been as a possible site of the Greek Village although ideally they would prefer space by the stadium so you could see the houses as you came in from Spanish River for a football game. However, they may build a hotel there (Angelos said they were pushing the hotel concept hard)

I'm not sure I like the idea of a hotel on campus. I don't know if there are enough visitors to warrant one. To test that idea, I'm interested to see if hotels publish vacancy rates. If so, what are the vacancy rates for the Holiday Inn on Glades? The Fairfield Inn on Airport Road? etc.

Also, Greek Life had the empty lot in-between the College of Nursing and the Student Apartments earmarked (for at least seven or eight years now from my understanding) as the spot for Greek Village. Has that changed? Teambeer?

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

smittysahoot said

owlcountry said

I'm not sure I like the idea of a hotel on campus. I don't know if there are enough visitors to warrant one. To test that idea, I'm interested to see if hotels publish vacancy rates. If so, what are the vacancy rates for the Holiday Inn on Glades? The Fairfield Inn on Airport Road? etc.

I don't know about vacancy rates but if they're pushing it hard, they obviously believe in its ability to succeed. It's also important for the Hospitality and Tourism Management students to have practical experience and an on-campus academic hotel would certainly provide that. It makes sense. That being said, I think the hotel would do best if it were along Glades somewhere instead of back by the football stadium. Then again they're going to add the I-95 exit on Spanish River so maybe it does make sense to put it back there.

smittysahoot said

Also, Greek Life had the empty lot in-between the College of Nursing and the Student Apartments earmarked (for at least seven or eight years now from my understanding) as the spot for Greek Village. Has that changed? Teambeer?

That was years ago in the Master Plan before the updated (current) one. I talked to the Director of Greek Life last week. He told me about the two sites I mentioned. I think the university wants to put Greek Life where the hospital was going to go and Greek Life wants to be by the stadium. We'll see how it shakes out.
Back to the top

What is FAU planning to do with the empty lots along the students apartments by the college of nursing and arts & letters?
What is FAU planning to do with those pieces of land next to glades Rd in the south section of the school?
???
Back to the top

AlexFAU06 said

What is FAU planning to do with the empty lots along the students apartments by the college of nursing and arts & letters?

They'll likely remain parking lots for now.

AlexFAU06 said

What is FAU planning to do with those pieces of land next to glades Rd in the south section of the school?
???

The last thing they were designated for was the hospital. Since that fell through, they're not slated for anything. Like I said, the hotel would make sense. I imagine they'll eventually building a cluster of academic buildings down there. You could fit three in the parking lot around the A&L parking garage, for instance.

Again, this is all conjecture until FAU designated it for something in particular.
Back to the top
Control functions: