Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

NFL Pro day woes, Could this happen to Rusty?

Ball State QB declared early for the draft.  They held Pro day and….

1 NFL team showed up.

:o

============================================================
==========

Headlinin': Can Nate Davis reconsider this whole 'draft' thing?

Photo taylormadetirade.com

What if they held a pro day and nobody came? Such was nearly the fate of early exiting Ball State quarterback Nate Davis on Friday, when only the Indianapolis Colts showed up to watch him throw to various Cardinal receivers on BSU's home field, and that probably only because it wasn't much of a drive for them. For Nate's sake, I hope the Colts liked what they saw as much as the local Muncie Star Press and mentor Steve DeBerg: Davis' stock is apparently plummeting, from day one possibility to late-round afterthought due to his size, Ball State's shotgun-based offense and ball security issues (he has a weird grip on the ball and fumbled multiple times in both of BSU's season-ending losses to Buffalo and Tulsa).

So they have doubts about the kid. Isn't that the guy you want to take an extra look at? Even if you pull an Andre Smith at your workout, no fate can be worse than being ignored.

Source:  Matt Hinton - yahoo!

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

Re: NFL Pro day woes, Could this happen to Rusty?

Ouch.

He should have known better than to leave early. He is predicted to be a 6th or 7th round pick at best. He should have been aware of that long before making his decision to leave school and enter the draft. Hopefully he gets drafted and goes on to have a solid career.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

I know,

Im sure glad Rusty decided to stay, but it goes to show that all those accolades can fall away at the drop of a hat.

I hope Brohm helps Rusty get togther with the WR/FB.

Needless to say that is a critical part of our success.

I sure hope something like that doesnt happen.

Back to the top

IMO, Rusty will not have that problem...not only is he a better protypical NFL QB prospect, but Howard has major connections and they would have the bases covered ahead of time...
Back to the top

Rusty will have at least three pro teams at his pro-day.

Miami, Tampa Bay, and Jacksonville.

I am sure he will actually get more. I just thought since Davis got the in-staters (Colts) Rusty will also.

GO OWLS!!!

Back to the top

NFL Pro day woes, Could this happen to Rusty?

There is alot riding on his performance this year.  Last year's performance will not get too many teams excited.  He needs a solid year from start to finish.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

dusky256fc said

There is alot riding on his performance this year.  Last year's performance will not get too many teams excited.  He needs a solid year from start to finish.

You are 100% correct. Quarterback is a strange position in that a guy from a lesser known program can make it into the first round if he has a great year/career. Look at Flacco as an example of that. However, far too many guys from lesser known programs have great careers and don't even get drafted. Too many things that we as fans don't normally focus on such as release, footwork, ability to pick up the playbook, read a defense, timing, etc.

I think Rusty has the tools to be a solid pro, but I don't see him going above the 3rd round even if he has a HUGE season. His release is awkward and he is streaky. I still like his chances of getting drafted though.

GO OWLS!!!

Back to the top

I wonder if Jeff Brohm will try and "correct" or assit with that?

Its always dicy messing iwth a QB's release even if its unorthodox.

Back to the top

they said initially that they didnt want to mess with it...but who knows?
Back to the top

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  But, it's not my choice.  Rusty won't have this problem becuase he will finish school, then try to hit the draft.  A mediocre QB from a lower tier school is not gonna get a whole lot of interest, and that situation is just embarassing.  I'm looking forward to watching rusty have one last great year, and get picked up, but I still say he won't go on the first day.  Hopefully I'll get proved wrong though. :)

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top
Control functions: