Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

NFL Pro day woes, Could this happen to Rusty?

Re: NFL Pro day woes, Could this happen to Rusty?

duder said

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  But, it's not my choice.  Rusty won't have this problem becuase he will finish school, then try to hit the draft.  A mediocre QB from a lower tier school is not gonna get a whole lot of interest, and that situation is just embarassing.  I'm looking forward to watching rusty have one last great year, and get picked up, but I still say he won't go on the first day.  Hopefully I'll get proved wrong though. :)

Davis performed better than mediocre the last two years. Here are his stats:

2007: 3667 yards, 56% completion, 30 tds, 6 ints

2008: 3591 yards, 64% completion, 26 tds, 8 ints

Those are pretty good numbers.

Compare to Joe Flacco.

2006: 2783 yards, 63% completion, 18 tds, 10 ints

2007: 4263 yards, 63% completion, 23 tds, 5 ints

My point is that it goes far beyond stats when evaluating QBs. Based on stats alone Davis would be a first rounder just like Flacco. Obviously there is much more to it.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

NFL Pro day woes, Could this happen to Rusty?

This is why having a good combine is important. Especially for QBs if you play poorly there you won't see NFL teams burning cash to see you in this economy.
Back to the top

The short answer to the question "Could this happen to Rusty?" is absolutely not.  Take a look at the date of Ball State's pro day.  Oddly enough, it was held on February 26th, the very same day that FAU held theirs.  My understanding is that FAU schedules their pro day in conjunction with "The U" and the Hurricanes historically have held theirs on the Friday or Saturday following the Indy combine.  FAU and FIU then split the previous day since the scouts will be in town for Miami the following day.  They have been freezing their butts off in Indy, who wouldn't want to take a business trip to the South Florida sun?!?!?

They start in Boca for FAU in the morning then head down to Miami for FIU in the afternoon at which time the juniors have their pro day on campus.  Ordinarily, just a couple of scouts run the junior day, but this year, to be specific about their interest in Rusty Smith, six teams stayed around to watch Smith, Harmon and the guys work out, rather than go to FIU's senior pro day.

The best pro day attendance by scouts was after the 2004 season.  21 teams were represented that year.  That just goes to show how a legitimate quarterback prospect can draw interest.  I overhears some scouts at this year's pro day say that they anticipated some head coaches and general managers in attendance next year.

In summary, I don't think the attendance for Ball State's pro day was a reflection on interest in their QB.  They just have to be smart about scheduling.  Maybe they should schedule in conjunction with Notre Dame or Purdue instead of trying to lure the scouts up the street right after the combine.
Back to the top

owlsindider said

The short answer to the question "Could this happen to Rusty?" is absolutely not.  Take a look at the date of Ball State's pro day.  Oddly enough, it was held on February 26th, the very same day that FAU held theirs.

Are you proposing that NFL teams have only one scout each?
Back to the top

I don't believe it could happen to Rusty because Rusty did not elect to come out early.  Had he elected to come out early, it certainly could have happened.  The kid (Rusty) is smart enough to know he needs his senior year where some others think they can make it after their junior year. 
Back to the top
Control functions: