Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Senate reviewing how college football picks No. 1

Add topic

By FREDERIC J. FROMMER

Everyone from President Barack Obama on down to fans has criticized how college football determines its top team. Now senators are getting off the sidelines to examine antitrust issues involving the Bowl Champion Series.

The current system "leaves nearly half of all the teams in college football at a competitive disadvantage when it comes to qualifying for the millions of dollars paid out every year," the Senate Judiciary's subcommittee on antitrust, competition policy and consumer rights said in a statement Wednesday announcing the hearings.

Under the BCS, some conferences get automatic bids to participate in series, while others do not.

Obama and some members of Congress favor a playoff-type system to determine the national champion. The BCS features a championship game between the two top teams in the BCS standings, based on two polls and six computer ratings.

Behind the push for the hearings is the subcommittee's top Republican, Sen. Orrin Hatch of Utah. People there were furious that Utah was bypassed for the national championship despite going undefeated in the regular season.

The title game pitted No. 1 Florida (12-1) against No. 2 Oklahoma (12-1); Florida won 24-14 and claimed the title.

The subcommittee's statement said Hatch would introduce legislation "to rectify this situation." No details were offered and Hatch's office declined to provide any.

Hatch said in a statement that the BCS system "has proven itself to be inadequate, not only for those of us who are fans of college football, but for anyone who believes that competition and fair play should have a role in collegiate sports."

In the House, Rep. Joe Barton of Texas, the top Republican on the Energy and Commerce Committee, has sponsored legislation that would prevent the NCAA from calling a football game a "national championship" unless the game culminates from a playoff system.

Source:  Associated Press
Back to the top

Re: Senate reviewing how college football picks No. 1

this is stupid

AEA
Go play Intramural Sports! www.fau.edu/campusrec/imsports/
Back to the top

yeah, thanks for saying that Tuba...i kind of thought maybe some other things were MORE IMPORTANT TO WORRY ABOUT right now...but, hey.......
Back to the top

lol yea I think fixing the country should be a number 1 on the list, but beyond that this issue gets overblown and is fueled by ESPN on slow news days.

I'll be honest, I LIKE THE CURRENT BOWL SYSTEM.  Do I think it could be better, sure. Am I against the playoffs, not really.  But lets think about it, a small school like FAU isn't getting into a 16 team playoff anytime soon, unless its with an automatic bid for being in the belt.  In fact, the auto bid would be the only belt team getting in and they would play the SEC  champs and lose in the first round every year.

The other problems with the playoffs: Less money, less teams, and more time out of class.

Now the problems I have with what was stated by the people in this article:

"…legislation that would prevent the NCAA from calling a football game a "national championship" unless the game culminates from a playoff system…"

-The NCAA does not run the championship for the FBS of Div I.  In fact it is the ONLY sport they don't recognize a champion in.

"The current system 'leaves nearly half of all the teams in college football at a competitive disadvantage when it comes to qualifying for the millions of dollars paid out every year'…"

- Thats because almost half the teams can't be over 6-6. I feel that even 6-6 teams shouldn't even make it to a bowl game.  Now if your talking about just the BCS games then expand them out to 6 and give each conference an auto bid.

AEA
Go play Intramural Sports! www.fau.edu/campusrec/imsports/
Back to the top

FAUtuba said

I'll be honest, I LIKE THE CURRENT BOWL SYSTEM.  Do I think it could be better, sure. Am I against the playoffs, not really.  But lets think about it, a small school like FAU isn't getting into a 16 team playoff anytime soon, unless its with an automatic bid for being in the belt.  In fact, the auto bid would be the only belt team getting in and they would play the SEC  champs and lose in the first round every year.

Amen. I feel the same way.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

As much as I like the idea of the a playoff it is a complete waste of time and tax dollars to have government meddling in sports. In my opinion government should not be providing oversight for pro sports period. I felt the same way about the whole steriod scandal in baseball. Should congress really be hearing about that?? My answer is no.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

owlfan1 said

As much as I like the idea of the a playoff it is a complete waste of time and tax dollars to have government meddling in sports. In my opinion government should not be providing oversight for pro sports period.

I think it's important to see if there are antitrust issues.

They're right. It's an exclusive party. It's not right. There should be a playoff. Even if that means the Sun Belt champ losing to the SEC champ every single year… at least the opportunity is there.

Besides, it would mean televised games and thus national interest/exposure for our programs. And who doesn't want that?
Back to the top

owlcountry said

owlfan1 said

As much as I like the idea of the a playoff it is a complete waste of time and tax dollars to have government meddling in sports. In my opinion government should not be providing oversight for pro sports period.

I think it's important to see if there are antitrust issues.

They're right. It's an exclusive party. It's not right. There should be a playoff. Even if that means the Sun Belt champ losing to the SEC champ every single year… at least the opportunity is there.

Besides, it would mean televised games and thus national interest/exposure for our programs. And who doesn't want that?

I agree with everything that I put in red. I have followed FCS for some time and the playoff atmosphere is absolutely great. I would love to see a playoff at the FBS level. Too often bowl games are poorly attended and interest is limited for non-BCS bowls as the system is now. I know there are exceptions to this, but you take a lower level bowl even with BCS conference teams and the stadiums often have plenty of open seats. Make it a playoff where every game counts and stadiums would be packed and interest would definitely be heightened. I know a lot more goes into it than what I have just posted, but I think the general idea that a playoff is more exciting holds true in most cases.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

I dont like the current bowl system, but I also wouldn't want an autobid playoff scenario unless we had mega-conferences of 16 teams.  That would essentially pop 12 teams out of conference championships…give 4 more as at-large bids based on non-poll based rankings.  Then play a maximum of 4 games to be the NC.

And yes it is a trust and as I think was discussed a Loooong time ago around here, the only sport in the United States that is immune to anti-trust legislation is Baseball.  Hence the plethora of 'professional' football leagues but only 1 MLB.

The biggest problem I see is that the people complaining are really the mountain west states.  The BCS will find a way to appeae the MWC and then they will all become hypocrites as soon as they are allowed in…leaving all us Sun Belters high and dry (or is it all wet?)

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

I think Owlfan has the right idea.  I do think that we need a playoff system in college football, but the govt needs to butt out of this and find something more improtant to do.  But then again, they seem to be in the mood to just take over everything, so why not recreation.

I do think that a playoff game would have a much better atmosphere then a low level bowl game.  Just look at the St. Pete Bowl last year, it was right here, and a lot of the USF fans on theur board were boycotting it because it was not "a  big deal".  Now compare that with our Division II playoff games from a couple years back.  I remember being at a packed Murhpy's in Boca wathching the game and cheering with the entire bar when we beat Northern Arizona.  And I remember the crowd intensity at the Colgate game at Lockhart.  Sure, we lost, but I think the stands were pretty well packed and everyone was into the game.  That's the way it should be.

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top
Control functions: