Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

U of Miami Won't Play FIU Anymore

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/others/0-4-184/Miami-won-t-play-FIU-anymore.html

Miami won't play FIU anymore

March 23, 2009 5:30 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Graham Watson

The Miami Herald is reporting that the University of Miami has refused to play Florida International in any revenue sport stemming from the football brawl between the two teams in 2006.

"There's history there," Miami athletics director Kirby Hocutt told the Miami Herald. "This particular time, it's not in Miami's best interests [to play FIU]. Will it change in five years? Ten years? I don't want to speculate."

Hocutt did say Miami would continue to play FIU in non-revenue sports.

The brawl was how long ago? I'm not a fan of either team but it seems to me Miami is afraid of FIU. FIU is on the rise and they should be bowl eligible this year for the first time ever and Miami is on the decline even with the # 1 recruiting class 2 years ago.

Cristobal wasn't there for the brawl it's a totally different team. Get over yourselves' Miami! Way to come out with this news almost 3 years after the fight happened

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Re: U of Miami Won't Play FIU Anymore

So, did they buy out the contract??  They still had a year left on it right?
Back to the top

Huh.

USF won't play UCF
UM won't play FIU

Tough times to build rivalries.
Back to the top

I love how Miami is playing the victim.  Just another reason to hate the Caines.
Back to the top

I'd like to hear what the FIU fans that post on here have to say about this? FIUPanthersFan?

Back to the top

Jab979 said

I'd like to hear what the FIU fans that post on here have to say about this? FIUPanthersFan?

They would probably say that they are the best team in the nation and Miami is scared of them!
ah! forgot! They also would say that they are part of the Ivy League and UM education is the worst.
Delusional!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to the top

U of Miami Won't Play FIU Anymore

Actually a few of them are on the SunBelt board and they are ok with it.

In fact now FIU will not schedule UM in ANY sport going forward.

Why should they help out UM in other sports, if UM wont retrun the favor in the "money" games.

Good for them.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

owlfamily said

Actually a few of them are on the SunBelt board and they are ok with it.

In fact now FIU will not schedule UM in ANY sport going forward.

Why should they help out UM in other sports, if UM wont retrun the favor in the "money" games.

Good for them.

I agree, the time will come whether it be 10 years down the road or 20 years where UM will want to play FIU and then FIU will say "nope, sorry we don't want to play you anymore"

UM needs to step of this high horse of theirs

Back to the top

Maybe now FIU will see who their true rival is :)  (As I hand my keys to the Golden Panther Valet)

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top
Control functions: