Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

The D-Line

I see a lot of us have concerns about the D-line. I know that they are young and I think they hold the key to our success this year. The O will score their points. The question remains can our D at least be able to keep us out of shoot outs. Salvidge, Cox, Johnson, Givens, Cyrille, Counsil and Joseph is the pool to choose from. Hopefully one of them has some speed as we really need a guy who can pass rush off the edge. Johnson looked promising last spring but I haven't heard or read anything on him so far this spring. Is he out there? Man I hope this new coach allow them to play off the edge as watching the schemes last year, I felt that our ends were somewhat hindered in their pass rushes due to the techniques they were palying. Maybe I'm reaching, but I think they had better talent on the line than the results proved out and that normally is attributed to coaching.
Back to the top

Re: The D-Line

Johnson is out there…he's number one on the depth chart at LE…
Back to the top

Hootyhoot said

The question remains can our D at least be able to keep us out of shoot outs.

Probably not. Granted it's early but right now they're breaking down against our guys. Imagine what SC or Nebraska could do to us. Again, a lot could change between now and then though since they're still moving guys around and getting a feel for what everyone's individual talents are.

Hootyhoot said

Salvidge, Cox, Johnson, Givens, Cyrille, Counsil and Joseph is the pool to choose from. Hopefully one of them has some speed as we really need a guy who can pass rush off the edge.

Don't quote me on this but one of the players said Council may be "done" because of nagging back injury problems.
Back to the top

owlcountry said

Don't quote me on this but one of the players said Council may be "done" because of nagging back injury problems.

Spoke to Jermaine last week at the Oxley, and he was emphatic about returning…didn't mention injury, but did mention "hitting the books"…

Back to the top

One of the concerns, or better yet questions I have about the d-line relates to size and positions. It seems like we have some guys that are either huge or relatively small for their respective position. Johnson, from what I have heard is supposed to be very promising but hes very thin as I recall from last season. Meanwhile we have Cox as at DT and he seems to be quite small for the position yet we have Council & Cyrille as ends but they have DT size (and in Council's case DT speed as well). All in all it appears as though we have around 6-7 DT's and a shortage of ends. Whats everyone Else's take on the situation?
Back to the top

They should take a look at some of the lighter OL guys and try them out at DE. They are probably better suited there because of their size.
Back to the top

Bob said

One of the concerns, or better yet questions I have about the d-line relates to size and positions. It seems like we have some guys that are either huge or relatively small for their respective position. Johnson, from what I have heard is supposed to be very promising but hes very thin as I recall from last season. Meanwhile we have Cox as at DT and he seems to be quite small for the position yet we have Council & Cyrille as ends but they have DT size (and in Council's case DT speed as well). All in all it appears as though we have around 6-7 DT's and a shortage of ends. Whats everyone Else's take on the situation?

Interesting comments…

HS prefers athleticism over size as a norm…that is probably the reason for the assignments.

On a side note:

Are you a former, or current Football Coach??

(not speaking of FAU)
Back to the top

The D-Line

Thanks for the replys. Florida_Owl I am not (or have ever been) a football coach. I graduated from FAU in 2004 and decided to try my hand at the worlds most hated profession.
Back to the top

Bob said

Thanks for the replys. Florida_Owl I am not (or have ever been) a football coach. I graduated from FAU in 2004 and decided to try my hand at the worlds most hated profession.

Must be a lawyer ;)

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

illinoisowl said

Bob said

I graduated from FAU in 2004 and decided to try my hand at the worlds most hated profession.

Must be a lawyer ;)

:D

What do yo do??
Back to the top
Control functions: