Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FIU reassigns Mens Basketball coach Sergio - Hires Thomas

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

Re: FIU fires Mens Basketball coach Sergio....

Not a shock when you look at his record.  If you want deja vu, go over to the FIU board and read the thread about this.  Sounds like the threads we have around here every other year or so!  ;D 
Back to the top

Re: FIU reassigns Mens Basketball coach Sergio....

fauowls44 said

If you want deja vu, go over to the FIU board and read the thread about this.  Sounds like the threads we have around here every other year or so!   ;D

:D

Back to the top

Rumor has it that they are going after a big name....Isiah Thomas!
Back to the top

Looks probable now:

"From the New York Knicks to Florida International University?

That could be the curious career path for former NBA star and coach Isiah Thomas, who is the frontrunner to replace Sergio Rouco at the Sun Belt Conference school.

Sources indicate that FIU is close to striking a deal with Thomas, 47, a Hall of Famer who spent 13 seasons with the Detroit Pistons. According to one source close to the negotiation, an announcement could be coming as soon as Wednesday — just two days after the school fired Rouco after five years and a 55-94 record.

Thomas led Indiana Pacers to the playoffs in each of his three seasons at the helm (2000-2003) before being fired.

Thomas was then hired as president of basketball operations for the New York Knicks and ultimately replaced Larry Brown as head coach in 2006.

He was 56-108 in two seasons in New York before being fired shortly after Donnie Walsh joined the franchise in April 2008.

Florida International was 13-20 this past season — its fifth consecutive losing season."

Source:  foxsports.com
Back to the top

Per Pete Pelegrin's Herald Blog, Isiah Thomas will be introduced on Wed as FIU coach. Should be interesting….Let's hope he's as successful as he was in NY.    ;)  We owe them a couple of losses after this past year.
Back to the top

I have a feeling…if he is finally hired as new FIU coach…we will be a lot more successful at FIU than he was ever at NY  ;D…however, I would be content with him being as successful as he was as Indiana Pacers coach… ;)

Interesting, and surprising hire, to say the least….
Back to the top

FIU reassigns Mens Basketball coach Sergio - Hires Thomas

FIUFanatic said

And great for the Belt!

Congrats, prematurely of course! ;)
Back to the top

FIUFanatic said

we will be a lot more successful at FIU than he was ever at NY   ;D

Based on what?  His glorious track record everywhere he's been besides NY?

I'm all for making a big splash with a coaching hire.  I definately think you have to go as big as possible….which FIU certainly has…but based on Thomas' track record, you have to know that the odds of this not ending badly are slim.  Add to the fact he has never coached a college team…nor has he ever been around a mid-major type program where money and resources will be tight….I just think the odds of this working for any significant period of time are not good.

Still for a team like FIU who has nothing to lose, hiring a guy like this is worth a shot. 
Back to the top

FIUFanatic said

I have a feeling…if he is finally hired as new FIU coach…we will be a lot more successful at FIU than he was ever at NY   ;D…however, I would be content with him being as successful as he was as Indiana Pacers coach… ;)

Will he be as successful at the sexual harassment of women at FIU and coasting your university 11.6M in damages?  Could be another lovely hire for FIU.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top
Control functions: