Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

State of Affairs at RB

I have to say, I've been to a couple of spring games this year covering as a member of the media, but I've not seen nearly as impressive a showing on the ground as I saw out of Morris (18 carries for 131 yards) and Rolle yesterday.  I like the fact that you have almost a "thunger" and "lightning" effect going on there, and love the story behind Morris coming in as a backup fullback, but ending up starter at tailback for the Spring Game.  Research I've done suggests that Morris got to his place partially due to a string of injuries to other tailbacks, but I wonder if he's solidified a role now that he performed as well as he did in the last scrimmage before fall camps.

Any thoughts on how likely it is Morris has a more prominent role?  Also, the quickness and nimbleness of Rolle, does that push him up the charts?

Regardless, looks like FAU has a strong ground game heading into '09.

Jason
PRISM/freelantz
www.prismfreelantz.wordpress.com
Back to the top

Re: State of Affairs at RB

prismfreelantz said

Any thoughts on how likely it is Morris has a more prominent role?  Also, the quickness and nimbleness of Rolle, does that push him up the charts?

Welcome Jason!

Schnellenberger recently compared Morris to famed Dolphins running back Larry Czonka…he puts his head down and burrows through would be tacklers…but he also eluded to the fact that Morris, in contrast, has break away speed and moves to make people miss…which is very conclusive when looking at his plays on video…

It's a skill set that no back, IMO, has had to date within FAU's roster of athletes…

He also said that he has won the job…

In the SBC, the tandem of a fullback and tailback with the size and ability between Rose and Morris is absent…this presents an excellent opporunity (especially within the pro-set) to keep defensive units on their toes full bore on every play…

What will be interesting is to see how the coches develop an offensive game plan with such a great passing attack to mix in this newly found tandem.

The scrimmages were run with specific plays and were controlled, obviously, by the coaches to evaluate and achieve certain factors…

In the game situation, it will be different and i would suspect that FAU will dip into the well of a 450+ lb backfield time and time again - especially when opposing teams expect a pass.

One thing is for sure though, we have a much better chance at short yardage situations now and will likely be able to pull off goal line plays with greater ease.

That has been a point of frustration the last two seasons at times…
Back to the top

Anthem - thanks for the great response!!!

So, let me ask an extension question, if I might . . .

I know that one of the problems that FAU has had over the last few years is protecting Rusty Smith along the line . . . does the present of Morris allow for less of a defensive pressure in the backfield this year?

Curious on your thoughts there . . .

Back to the top

prismfreelantz said

I know that one of the problems that FAU has had over the last few years is protecting Rusty Smith along the line . . . does the present of Morris allow for less of a defensive pressure in the backfield this year?

Curious on your thoughts there . . .

This assertion came up recently within another thread with regards to FAU's OL and protection…the Owls actually ranked within the top 10 in QB protection (as indicated in sacks allowed)…that's a mainstay of Schnellenberger…he builds his Teams around a QB, TE, and FB first but this also requires a quick and "able to protect" OL…

However, the OL we have this year is somewhat unproven, and will need to show what they can do in game situations…we lost a couple guys who were very good at their positions…most notibly Nick Paris - center.

That's a huge cog in the wheel not only in leadership, but also chemistry…

With the passing threat we have in place at TE and WR across the board, i think Morris presents more of a challenge for opponents - when is he going to get the ball??

The coahing staff mentioned that they were 60-40 to 70-30 at times last year with the play mix being heavy on pass; soley due to the fact that our running attack at times when compared to other defenses was not clear strength or advantage…

If anything, Morris will help the goal OC Jackson recently stated of possibly being able to move the play mix to a true 50-50 split…which is most opportune in the pro-set…
Back to the top

State of Affairs at RB

Welcome Jason!

I was just about to link to your article too! Everybody here should check it out.

Florida Atlantic – Football – 2009 Spring Game Review | PRISM/freelantz
Back to the top

Really good article… I also like the idea of having Alfred 'Thunder' Morris and Avionne 'Lightning' Rolle as our tailback nicknames.  At fullback Rose will always be a 'cat named way out Willie' to me.

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

Florida_Owl said

prismfreelantz said

Welcome Jason!

Schnellenberger recently compared Morris to famed Dolphins running back Larry Czonka…he puts his head down and burrows through would be tacklers…but he also eluded to the fact that Morris, in contrast, has break away speed and moves to make people miss…which is very conclusive when looking at his plays on video…

It's a skill set that no back, IMO, has had to date within FAU's roster of athletes…

He also said that he has won the job…

In the SBC, the tandem of a fullback and tailback with the size and ability between Rose and Morris is absent…this presents an excellent opporunity (especially within the pro-set) to keep defensive units on their toes full bore on every play…

What will be interesting is to see how the coches develop an offensive game plan with such a great passing attack to mix in this newly found tandem.

The scrimmages were run with specific plays and were controlled, obviously, by the coaches to evaluate and achieve certain factors…

In the game situation, it will be different and i would suspect that FAU will dip into the well of a 450+ lb backfield time and time again - especially when opposing teams expect a pass.

One thing is for sure though, we have a much better chance at short yardage situations now and will likely be able to pull off goal line plays with greater ease.

That has been a point of frustration the last two seasons at times…

We can also expect the strength at running back to open up play action at the goal line as well as in other scenarios. Having a strong running game will definetely only be a benefit to the passing game.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

SeminOWL2006 said

Really good article… I also like the idea of having Alfred 'Thunder' Morris and Avionne 'Lightning' Rolle as our tailback nicknames.  At fullback Rose will always be a 'cat named way out Willie' to me.

Thunder and lightning are good, but not original.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

SeminOWL2006 said

Haha I agree I still call him that. Whenever I hear his name I say "I know a cat named way out Willie" lol

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Someone care to post the article's text please?
Back to the top
Control functions: