Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

ESPN article on Frantz...

EXCELLENT Article promoing the Inside the lines show…

And it pains me about the BC stuff, but thats probably true.

Greg Garber examines Frantz Joseph's NFL draft prospect journey - ESPN

LAUDERHILL, Fla. – The beige paint is cracking around the windows outside Marie Clercius' cramped apartment.

But inside, as this late February day winds down, the happy hum of family dominates. There is pungent conversation, laughter and food – plenty of food – from brown beans and rice to fruit salad to oxtail.

In the 1970s, Lauderhill was predominantly a Jewish retirement community, but by the mid-1990s it had developed one of the densest Haitian and Jamaican populations in the country. After English, Haitian Creole is the second language here, and one-fifth of the households are led by a single woman. Clercius, who arrived on a boat from Haiti nearly 40 years ago, fits both demographics.

The modest home is filled to the seams with eclectic curios acquired at the local Swap Shop. Among them: snowmen, teddy bears, elephants, advertising placards, a large Shrek towel on back of the couch. Family photos – featuring her three children born in Haiti, and two sons born later in the United States – compete for space on the crowded walls.

Outside The Lines: Frantz Joseph
Sunday on "Outside The Lines (Weekend)" (ESPN, 8 a.m. ET) airs Greg Garber's profile of NFL draft prospect Frantz Joseph. Monday on "OTL" (ESPN2, 3 and 4 p.m. ET), Garber will update Joseph's story.

Related: Frantz Joseph talks about being inspired by his mother Marie
Almost lost in the clutter is a crimson jersey, No. 45, attached to the wall with two nails through the shoulders. It belonged to the youngest of her children, Frantz Joseph. He never played a down at Boston College.

He had uncommon athletic skill, a full athletic scholarship, but he was red-shirted as a freshman linebacker. What might have been?

"Had Frantz stayed at Boston College," said his brother Jimmy, "I know for a fact we'd be talking about a first- or second-round pick."

It's impossible to know with any certainty, of course. It's safe to say that Joseph's path to the NFL would have been easier if he hadn't returned home to Florida to support his struggling mother, hadn't transferred to the low-profile Florida Atlantic University.

His 154 tackles were the second-highest total in the country last season. He was the defensive MVP of the Texas vs. the Nation all-star game but Joseph, whose measurables aren't quite what the scouts would want, was not invited to the NFL scouting combine.

But as it turns out, the engaging Joseph did the right thing. This weekend, as the NFL draft unfolds in New York, we'll learn how costly his sacrifice was.

"In life, just what I've been through – all of the trials and tribulations – [it's] just understanding that it's not about you," Joseph said. "It's about the people around you.

"It was a very hard decision, but it was the obvious decision that I had to come home and handle that. Just looking deeper into the picture, little did I know that it was a blessing in disguise."

Trading down

She didn't have her papers, so Marie Clercius worked under the table. Dirty work was all she could get, and that's what she did at the local mall and random hotels; cleaning toilets, taking out trash. She didn't always make enough money to keep the lights on, sometimes for days at a time.

[+] EnlargeESPN
When his mother Marie Clercius summoned him home from Boston College, Frantz Joseph transferred to Florida Atlantic University to help provide support. They were evicted enough times to never really feel settled and food on the table, a given for most people, was only slightly more predictable than the electricity.

"Going to bed hungry was something that I experienced a lot growing up," Joseph said.

Added Jimmy, "I remember me and my brother, looking at each other in our rooms, listening to our mother cry, being sad with each other."

It is a tribute to their mother that they did not succumb to the usual temptations. Frantz, who started out as a freshman bass drum player in the Dillard High School marching band, was soon laying out ballcarriers for Fort Lauderdale (Fla.) High School. He led the Flying L's with 96 tackles in seven games and forced seven fumbles as a senior captain in 2003.

Boston College offered him a full ride, and he took it.

"You're playing great football at a high level, ACC – Big East at the time – and at the same time, you're getting just a step below an Ivy League institution teaching," Joseph said. "The way I looked at it, I couldn't lose."

But Clercius, whose health was failing, was unable to pay her bills. After repeated phone calls from his mother, Joseph decided to return home after his first year. "Just hearing the person that you love, the person that's done everything for you – crying," he said. "I mean, it's really not explainable."

He enrolled at Florida Atlantic and immediately began living two lives: scholarship athlete and household provider. In the cracks between school and football, Joseph worked various odd jobs to support his mother. He'd rent a U-Haul and help people from his church move from one place to another. He cleaned homes and cut grass. Along with his brother Jimmy, who sent along about half of his Navy paycheck, they supported their mother.

Joseph grew into the most productive defensive player for Florida Atlantic, a mid-major, NCAA Division I program with high aspirations under head coach Howard Schnellenberger. At inside linebacker in 2008, Joseph made 10 tackles against Texas, 13 against Michigan State and 15 against Minnesota – and that was just the first month.

[+] EnlargeESPN
Even though his pro day showing was not his best, Frantz Joseph remains confident in his prospects.
But when the invitations to the NFL combine went out, Joseph wasn't on the list. His two postseason performances came after the mid-December cutoff date for invitations.

"I thought everybody that saw him in El Paso, saw him at his best," said Schnellenberger, who was on the sideline of the all-star game. "He's got a great instinct for the ball."

Joseph was credited with an interception and a 26-yard return and fumble recovery and another 32-yard return to set up scores in the Texas vs. the Nation game. In FAU's victory over Central Michigan, Joseph led the Owls with 13 tackles.

Instead of working out for pro scouts in Indianapolis, Joseph watched on television in late February as the country's best 300-plus prospects – 22 of them linebackers – culled from more than 12,000 candidates, worked under the scrutiny of some 600 NFL personnel men.

That doesn't necessarily mean he won't be drafted.

According to Jeff Foster, president of National Football Scouting, over the past five years, between 28 and 38 players who weren't in Indianapolis still managed to get themselves selected by NFL teams.

How to quantify heart?

Joseph's personal combine took place on February 24. It was, he acknowledged, probably the biggest day of his life, one that might dictate the next five to 10 years of his life.

Florida Atlantic played host to 19 scouts, representing 16 NFL teams, for its pro day.

"It's huge," explained Brian Martin, Joseph's trainer and CEO of TEST Sports Clubs. "For these guys, it's their Super Bowl. This is it."

In a game where franchises are now valued at an average of more than one billion dollars, the search for talent is a ruthless, emotionless process. In the end, numbers are what matter most.

Joseph's were well below his expectations:

Height: 6 feet, 1 ½ inches
Weight: 242 pounds
Broad jump: 9 feet, 7½ inches
Vertical leap: 27½inches
Bench press: 19 repetitions at 225 pounds
40-yard dash: 4.84 seconds
20-yard shuttle drill: 4.36 seconds
Three-cone: 7.34 seconds

"I didn't do so well as far as the numbers," Joseph said afterward. "I'd say like a seven on a scale of one to 10."

Earlier this month, Joseph worked out for the Miami Dolphins, at their facility in Davie, Fla. The Dolphins, whose scout had asked Joseph questions about his failed drug test in 2005 and arrest for marijuana possession in 2006, have been the most aggressive in doing their due diligence. Joseph freely acknowledges his mistakes but hopes that these incidents aren't going to hurt his draft position.

[+] EnlargeESPN
The Dolphins are among the NFL teams interested in Frantz Joseph, who led Florida Atlantic University in tackles last season.
According to Latish Kinsler, Joseph's agent and a partner at Metro Sports, about two-thirds of the league's teams have expressed interest, including the Pittsburgh Steelers, Baltimore Ravens and Carolina Panthers. Some projections have Joseph getting drafted as high as the fourth round, but the consensus is somewhere between the fifth and seventh rounds - or, perhaps, not at all.

Joseph's anxiety has peaked in recent weeks.

"Just looking at the TVs and the Mel Kipers and the draft gurus, talking about the guys who are going the first day, and just knowing that your name's not out there," Joseph said in late March. "But at the same time you don't worry about that type of stuff because if you do, then you go crazy."

Joseph is two courses short of graduating with a double major in business and management at Florida Atlantic. Over the years, he has taken out $30,000 in loans to help support his mother. Clearly, he has the drive and the ability to succeed in life after football. It's just a question of when that life will begin. Sooner or later?

"They can't measure dedication and heart," said his brother Jimmy. "Anyone who watches film on him, they're going to see that dedication, that heart, and that will to make every play." Unquestionably, his return to Florida compromised his career path. But will that journey ultimately take him farther?

"I know I'm a better player because of my mother," Joseph said. "Just understanding the adversity off the field and how to overcome and translating that on the field. I know if it wasn't for my mother and the situations I've been through, I wouldn't be the player that I am today."

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

Re: ESPN article on Frantz...

GREAT article!

"Joseph is two courses short of graduating with a double major in business and management at Florida Atlantic. Over the years, he has taken out $30,000 in loans to help support his mother. Clearly, he has the drive and the ability to succeed in life after football. It's just a question of when that life will begin. Sooner or later?"

I really hope he can get drafted and we all know he will work hard at it, just like he has done for us since joining the team. Hopefully it's sooner rather than later and he can repay his mother for never giving up on him and his family and doing all she can to provide for them. No gift would be greater than for him to send her a million dollars and buy her a house.

In Due time Frantz! Owl Country supports you!

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

I dont think him going to FAU has anything to do with his draft status.  Demarcus Ware was a 1st round pick out of Troy which is in the same conference and smaller market than us…I dont think the BC thing has anything to do with it.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

I still do not understand why everyone is down on his numbers. Compare him to top name LBs and he stacks up pretty good.

James Laurinaitis

6-2 244 4.88 (40 time)

Rey Malaluga

6-2 249 4.91 (40 time)

Frantz Joseph

6-1.5 242 4.84 (40 time)

The other guys are the top 2 ILB prospects. Sure they are from bigger schools, but in terms of measurables Frantz is right on par with both of them. Any knock on his measurables makes no sense at all. Sounds more like scouts and draft gurus are stretching for a reason not to draft him.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Great story on persistence, determination to success.  The kid has clearly worked very hard to put himself into position to get drafted.  I will be disappointed like most Owl fans if he doesn't get drafted.

It seems like nothing has come easy for him and his family. Hopefully he is given an opportunity to play at the next level.

Wishing him the best this weekend.
Back to the top

ESPN article on Frantz...

walty12 said

I dont think him going to FAU has anything to do with his draft status.  Demarcus Ware was a 1st round pick out of Troy which is in the same conference and smaller market than us…I dont think the BC thing has anything to do with it.

Yeah but Troy has been around a awhile, FAU has not an is still under the radar (no drafties ever), I think it would have made a difference.
Back to the top

NCowl said

walty12 said

Yeah but Troy has been around a awhile, FAU has not an is still under the radar (no drafties ever), I think it would have made a difference.

There are players that get drafted in the 1st round out of D-IAA schools i.e. Joe Flacco (Deleware State?).  I dont think pro scouts care where you went to college, I think they care how you will contribute in the NFL.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

awful example walty, flacco went to pitt, had some problems and left. samething as sam bomar.
Back to the top

Flacco went to Deleware. Deleware is a powerhouse in D-II football

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Jab979 said

Flacco went to Delaware. Delaware is a powerhouse in D-II football

How can y'all insult one of my favorite teams and Papa $mitty's alma mater!!! lol

The University of Delaware Fighting Blue Hens are in Division 1-AA (FCS). Yes, they are a power house.

FAU was on a collision course with them in 2003 for the championship until some toothpaste school got in the way (Colgate). It would have been a great family vacation - Hens vs. Owls, FAU vs. Delaware, Father vs. Son.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top
Control functions: