Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Thomas Dismisses Second Rouco Recruit; We're Looking Good!

Because, as we just learned, the ultra-late signing period is not kind to Coaches…and if there are more, it will be even the better for FAU versus conference rival FIU this upcoming season…especially after we had to endure the last spanking…anyway, without any further delay:

Numero Uno:

One of the first moves made by former NBA star Isiah Thomas as a college basketball coach has turned Olympia senior Jamel Marshall's world upside down.

Thomas, hired last week by Florida International University, is reneging on the Golden Panthers' recruitment of several players – including Marshall, who signed a National Letter of Intent last November.

Marshall, a 6-foot-4 small forward, said FIU assistant coach Heath Glick called his home Friday and said the school would fax a release form. A Letter of Intent is binding for one academic year unless a release is signed.

"They said they would honor my scholarship for a year, but there's no guarantee I'd be on the team," Marshall said. "I'd be trying out like everybody else."

Mark Griseck, Olympia's coach, said Monday that it was "gutless" for Thomas to have an assistant break the news to recruits rather than make the calls himself.

Thomas phoned Griseck later – after the Sentinel contacted FIU's sports information department seeking comment.

"Isiah apologized and said he made a major mistake," Griseck said. "He said he's delegated some things he should have handled himself."

Source:  buddy collings - orlandosentinel.com

And Dos:

Isiah Thomas is the new sheriff in whatever town would be the metaphorical equivalent of Florida International University basketball, and he's laying down the law early. Were you given a scholarship by Thomas' successor, Sergio Rocco? Tough luck, Chris Rozier. That scholarship will be taken from you in order to, I don't know, find some other talent, or something.

Wolfson basketball coach Bruce Rosebrock was bothered by the way FIU handled Rozier's recruitment at the end. "I think it could have been handled more professional, especially when you consider the people involved are supposed to be professionals," Rosebrock said. "I've gotten calls from several college coaches apologizing for the way that Chris was treated by FIU. They were apologizing for their profession."

Source:  eamonn brennan - rivals.com

Back to the top

Re: Thomas Dismisses Second Rouco Recruit; We're Looking Good!

Not off to a good start.

Also according to some FIU fans on the SunBelt BBS it looks like Fredy Asprilla (SP?) will NOT play for FIU and is looking to transfer.

I understand he was a pretty good big man.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

owlfamily said

Not off to a good start.

Also according to some FIU fans on the SunBelt BBS it looks like Fredy Asprilla (SP?) will NOT play for FIU and is looking to transfer.

I understand he was a pretty good big man.

Slow, but HUGE as far as Belt standards…if he runs that guy off i have no idea what they will do in the post…there are slim pickens at best to sign right now…we shall see…
Back to the top

Hi guys….Some comments.

First off, I don't like to see and read some state coaches feeling that way about any FIU coach, and I would have preferred him making the calls to let them know about the change of direction.  It's a pity these things happen to any party involved, as sometimes players ask for releases, and some times, new coaches ask for release from previously SIGNED players.  But…let's be fair here….this thing happens pretty much every year with new coaches coming in, with an idea of bringing in "their players".  The Rozier kid wasn't even a signing, just a commitment to Rouco and his staff, not to Isiah.  So any player…but especially his high school coach for that matter….that heard, knew….and saw on ESPN live….that a new coach, with a new staff, was coming over to FIU….had to be smart enough to look at some type of Plan "B", and plan accodingly.

Now, as for Freddy…..I know some people that have told me  for a fact that Isiah is not "running him off" from the team.  As you know, Freddy was a 1st team All SBC…as a freshman…and selected as the SBC Freshman of the Year.  He is way too talented for any new coach, Isiah included, to think like that.  There are some outside forces making Asprilla leave FIU…not because FIU or Thomas want him to leave.

As for recruiting, he didn't have much time before the signing day….actually he signed one day prior to the start of signing period….but he has landed a pretty solid JUCO class so far, given the circumstances.  3 players, one  of them a 3rd Team All American, the other was JUCO's leading scorer, while the other was JUCO's leader in assists, according to official NJCAA stats.  Also, there are rumors he will be getting a transfer Forward from University of Arkansas, who was fairly highly recruited out of high school in New Orleans.

I would say, in terms of recruiting…he is off to a very solid start….if only he could've made Asprilla stay, it would've been a great start, in my opinion.

Back to the top

Thomas Dismisses Second Rouco Recruit; We're Looking Good!

It's unfortunate that these kids have to go through this, but it is the nature of college athletics these days.  I don't blame Thomas for making the decision…just for the way he went about it.

I would just recommend not getting your hopes too high on some of these JUCO transfers and late signings.  I'm sure there are many positive examples that work out very well, but we know from experience that there are reasons that these kids are still out there this late and why they had to go the JUCO route.  They may have talent, but keeping them eligible and on the court is another matter altogether.  For example…Carlos Monroe.  He was perhaps the best big man in the SBC…but had to sit out large chunks of each of his year's here. 
Back to the top

fauowls44 said

It's unfortunate that these kids have to go through this, but it is the nature of college athletics these days.  I don't blame Thomas for making the decision…just for the way he went about it.

I would just recommend not getting your hopes too high on some of these JUCO transfers and late signings.  I'm sure there are many positive examples that work out very well, but we know from experience that there are reasons that these kids are still out there this late and why they had to go the JUCO route.  They may have talent, but keeping them eligible and on the court is another matter altogether.  For example…Carlos Monroe.  He was perhaps the best big man in the SBC…but had to sit out large chunks of each of his year's here.

Very good point….
Back to the top

My only question is this:

If this guy is so good, then why didn't anyone else grab before hand?  Including us?

We had scholarships…and so did virtually all other programs…what are we missing here with Marvin Roberts??

"Garcia has no doubts. He raves about Thomas' passion for coaching and his work ethic. "And he's going to shock people with players he'll sign," he added.

Thomas started the process last week, recruiting four top junior college transfers, including Marvin Roberts, the nation's top junior college scorer last season.
"

Complete Story
Back to the top

Florida_Owl said

If this guy is so good, then why didn't anyone else grab before hand?  Including us?

We had scholarships…and so did virtually all other programs…what are we missing here with Marvin Roberts??

"Garcia has no doubts. He raves about Thomas' passion for coaching and his work ethic. "And he's going to shock people with players he'll sign," he added.

Thomas started the process last week, recruiting four top junior college transfers, including Marvin Roberts, the nation's top junior college scorer last season.
"

Complete Story

Could be similar reasons that Carlos Monroe was picked up so late. The guy obviously could play but was picked up by FAU in July.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

Florida_Owl said

"

Complete Story

Ever notice how whenever anyone signs a junior college player, he's always called "one of the top JUCO players in the nation"?  Who ranks these things?  They all can't be so great…
Back to the top

illinoisowl said

Could be similar reasons that Carlos Monroe was picked up so late. The guy obviously could play but was picked up by FAU in July.

Let's Hope so!

That way he'll be out every time he is needed…….

ok, ok, that was a bit much :P
Back to the top
Control functions: