Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Tuition-Hike Bill Heading to Crist

Add topic

Do You Support The Increase?

Yes
No
Indifferent

You must select between 1 and 8 options

By Aaron Deslatte

The Florida House sent the governor a bill Wednesday that would let all 11 of Florida’s state universities enact student-tuition increases of as much as 15 percent next year.

The bill (SB 762) would give schools like Florida Atlantic University in Palm Beach County and the University of West Florida in Pensacola the right to raise their tuitions 15 percent annually until they reach the national average – along with flagship schools like the University of Florida in Gainesville, Florida State University in Tallahassee, and the University of Central Florida in Orlando.

The tuition increases aren’t covered by Bright Futures, which critics have said amounted to pushing the dream of college out of reach for lower-income families.

But Republican leaders have said it was a needed move to keep Florida’s universities from slowly bleeding top-flight talent and research money. Gov. Charlie Crist, who has long fought tuition increases, embraced the idea of "tuition differential" increases late last year, and is expected to sign the bill.

Crist left no doubt where he stood. His office issued a statement expressing "appreciation" that the measure passed, adding, "The vote today ensures these schools have the resources they need in order to achieve academic excellence.  Students with financial needs, faculty members and researchers will benefit from these efforts to strengthen Florida’s 11 state universities and help them compete with schools across the nation.”

“This is the right thing to so,” said Rep. Will Weatherford, R-Wesley Chapel.

Higher education is already taking a $150 million budget cut for universities and community colleges in the state's new budget plan that could force those tuition increases.

Universities across the state have threatened to shutter programs and lay off staff if the most dire version of the cuts – the $460 million originally pitched by the House – materialized.

Senate budget chief J.D. Alexander, R-Lake Wales, suggested the campuses could make do with the cuts given the higher tuition rates of between 8 and 15 percent.

“When you add that together it’s a slight increase in total funding,” Alexander said.

Senate Democrats weren’t entirely pleased with the outcome.

“Some of the universities had not planned on using the tuition increases but they might have to now,” said Senate Democratic Leader Al Lawson, D-Tallahassee.

Source:  orlandosentinel.com

Back to the top

Re: Tuition-Hike Bill Heading to Crist

Florida_Owl said

The tuition increases aren’t covered by Bright Futures, which critics have said amounted to pushing the dream of college out of reach for lower-income families.

I'm from a middle class family and I qualified for loans, so I took them out to go to college.

Lower-income families will qualify for them too. Higher tuition is not a dream killer for FAU.
Back to the top

Well, I'm in college right now so of course i don't support it.  I guess it's easier to support the increase if you've already graduated….. ;)
Back to the top

I'm a student and i support it cause i know its for the betterment of the school.
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

I'm a student and i support it cause i know its for the betterment of the school.

Well have fun with that.  Honestly, i support my school and everything but i don't want to be in debt for the rest of my life.  Maybe this school wouldn't be in such bad shape if it didn't suffer from years of corruption.
Back to the top

Tuition-Hike Bill Heading to Crist

The said

owlcountry40 said

Well have fun with that.  Honestly, i support my school and everything but i don't want to be in debt for the rest of my life.  Maybe this school wouldn't be in such bad shape if it didn't suffer from years of corruption.

Not to say that there isn't waste and shocking ineptitude at FAU because there definitely is…

but…

all the universities in Florida are raising tuition. It's a Florida thing, not an FAU thing.

Back to the top
Control functions: