Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Former Duke Point Greg Paulus Could Now Play QB

Add topic

The Blue Devils point guard visited Michigan to explore the possibility of transferring there to play football, Duke spokesman Art Chase said Wednesday.

Paulus' visit came Tuesday, the same day word leaked that he worked out for the Green Bay Packers in advance of the NFL Draft.

Paulus thought about resuming his football career at Duke, but coach David Cutcliffe's team is set at quarterback with Thaddeus Lewis preparing for his fourth year as starter. Paulus hasn't taken a snap in a game since 2004, when he was a high school quarterback in New York.

He would seem to fit better in Michigan coach Rich Rodriguez's read-option scheme than in the pro-style system favored by Cutcliffe, who considered trying Paulus at slot receiver.

"He's a quarterback at heart, but there was no way he was going to be able to compete and play quarterback for us," Cutcliffe said.

Paulus, who played four years of basketball at Duke but never played football there, would have one season of football eligibility.

Michigan spokesman David Abluaf declined comment and Rodriguez has repeatedly said he only talks about players on his roster.

The quarterback situation at Michigan has been a question mark ever since Rodriguez was hired in December 2007.

After freshman quarterback Tate Forcier enrolled early to practice this spring with the Wolverines, Steven Threet announced he was transferring and Nick Sheridan was sidelined with a broken leg after sharing snaps last season for the Wolverines.

Rodriguez insists Forcier will have to continue to compete with Sheridan and the speedy Denard Robinson when he gets to Ann Arbor this summer.

If Paulus ends up in the mix, it wouldn't be the first time Rodriguez found a quarterback playing another sport.

His third-stringer at West Virginia in 2005 was J.R. House, a minor-league catcher seven years removed from his record-setting passing days as a high school star in Nitro, W.Va.

House backed up then-freshman Pat White and threw four passes in two games, then quit the team to return to pro baseball.

Source:  The Associated Press
Back to the top

Re: Former Duke Point Greg Paulus Could Now Play QB

I heard on ESPN today, that he's visiting Nebraska today. Oh how I hope he becomes the QB of Nebraska lol

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Former Duke Point Greg Paulus Could Now Play QB

Absolutely crazy. This guy gets a workout with the Packers and guys with proven experience like Graham Harrell and Brian Hoyer don't even get drafted. Something is wrong. I know a workout is just a workout, but the guy has not thrown a ball since 2004. He has never played in college and the Packers give him a look. Insanity.

I hope he goes to Nebraska, starts, and FAU beats the snot out of him and sends him back to the hardwood to play at his local YMCA. I have nothing against the guy. I just feel like there is something wrong with the system when people think that this kid will automatically translate into a promising QB despite the fact that he has not thrown a ball in 5 years.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

owlfan1 said

Absolutely crazy. Insanity…there is something wrong with the system when people think that this kid will automatically translate into a promising QB despite the fact that he has not thrown a ball in 5 years.

GO OWLS!!!

Cmon' owlfan1!  Don't you know who he is??

He's GREG PAULUS!

Back to the top

owlfan1 said

I just feel like there is something wrong with the system when people think that this kid will automatically translate into a promising QB despite the fact that he has not thrown a ball in 5 years.

Look at guys like Drew Henson and Chad Hutchinson. Henson decided he'd rather play 3B in the majors then play football and when the Houston Texans drafted him in like the 6th round he said he's not playing football. All of a sudden 4 years later he realizes he sucks at baseball and wants to go back to football. Houston trades his rights to Dallas and he sucked at that too.

Hutchinson was the same situation. He was a pitcher for the St. Louis Cardinals, realized he sucked decided to play football instead and that didn't exactly work out for him either.

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

It won't be pretty
Back to the top

He's got the starting job at 'Cuse:

ERROR: A link was posted here (url) but it appears to be a broken link.

Story

They do need some help…so, maybe he will do just that?
Back to the top
Control functions: