Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Boca Raton makes bars, nightclubs off-limits to under-21 after 10 pm

Add topic

Topic Galleries - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

"BOCA RATON - For a law that in its early stages angered many business owners, the backlash against the city's new nightclub ordinance came down to one man tonight.

Michael Tice, owner of Murphy's Downtown, was the lone voice against new rules he says will drive customers from his bar. Tice, trying to persuade City Council to vote no, asked for restaurants and bars to be treated fairly.

"I've been involved in crafting this ordinance and I think this version is the worst version yet," Tice said. "You're simply going to move the crowd around. To take revenue out of my location and move it somewhere else is just not fair."

The city's ordinance, approved unanimously, excludes restaurants from the new requirements for bars and nightclubs. Effective immediately, anyone younger than 21 is banned from bars and nightclubs between 10 p.m. and 8 a.m., nightclubs must set up cameras inside and outside, and nightclubs must have security personnel after 10 p.m.

The ordinance targets businesses with 4COP or 14BC liquor licenses. A 4COP license allows the sale of beer, wine and liquor by the drink; a 14BC license allows patrons to drink the alcoholic beverages they bring.

Tice's bar has a 4COP liquor license.

Two shootings in early 2008 fueled concerns that nightclubs were becoming breeding grounds for violence among young patrons. While there has been no major violence this year, Police Chief Dan Alexander said problems of underage drinking and predatory activity against young women persist.

Fewer than a dozen bars and nightclubs are affected by the city's new rules.

"4COP businesses are in the business of selling alcohol and restaurants are in the business of serving food," Alexander said. "We're trying to narrowly impact a limited number of businesses that are in the business of serving alcohol."

Originally, the ordinance defined some restaurants as nightclubs, which prompted criticism that the regulations would be applied too broadly. City officials then rewrote the rules over several months and after meetings with business owners.

Tice appeared to be in disbelief after learning the ordinance had passed. He offered no other reaction.

Mayor Susan Whelchel said after the meeting: "His concern was loss of business, which we appreciate. We don't feel this ordinance does that. We have to start somewhere."

Back to the top

Re: Boca Raton makes bars, nightclubs off-limits to under-21 after 10 pm

Wow just wow i hate boca sometimes
Back to the top

Boca wins again.  I really wish that FAU was in Delray or Ft. Lauderdale sometimes.
Back to the top

Boca Raton makes bars, nightclubs off-limits to under-21 after 10 pm

The said

Boca wins again.  I really wish that FAU was in Delray or Ft. Lauderdale sometimes.

I wonder what this means for SCOOP, which also caters to underclassmen…
Back to the top

owlcountry said

The said

It's not good news at all, especially because from what i understand bar's in that location have not done well.  It's so obvious that Boca hates college kids and they'll do anything in their power to prevent it from becoming a college town.  All we can hope for is that FAU continues to grow in popularity and these rich old fools on the city council won't be able to stop the inevitable IMO.
Back to the top

The said

owlcountry said

The said

It's not good news at all, especially because from what i understand bar's in that location have not done well.  It's so obvious that Boca hates college kids and they'll do anything in their power to prevent it from becoming a college town.  All we can hope for is that FAU continues to grow in popularity and these rich old fools on the city council won't be able to stop the inevitable IMO.

They're two-faced about it. They act like they support the university; in reality, they want the prestige that comes with having a top university without any of the dirty work that goes into it.

In any case, your last sentence is exactly what's happening.
Back to the top

owlcountry said

The said

owlcountry said

The said

They're two-faced about it. They act like they support the university; in reality, they want the prestige that comes with having a top university without any of the dirty work that goes into it.

In any case, your last sentence is exactly what's happening.

True, we shouldn't be surprised though, after all this is the same local government that tried to get "sober houses" banned a few years ago for fear of their "image"…………. ::)
Back to the top

in the article it says Effective immediately, but all of the clubs and bars are still open to people ages 18 - 20. when is this supposed to happen?

RuhRauRega  - A.Smith
Back to the top

FLAtlantic2012 said

in the article it says Effective immediately, but all of the clubs and bars are still open to people ages 18 - 20. when is this supposed to happen?

Don't know. I imagine places like Murphy's are still going to get away with it until the police hassle them too often.

It's going to be a lot of work for the police to run around to every single place that serves alcohol every single night every couple of hours to ensure that there's nobody in there underage. I think the city hopes that all the bars will police themselves while only having an official presence every once in awhile in places with known problems (like Club Boca, where all this started)
Back to the top

I am sure that the intent was not to stop FAU students from patronizing the local  hangout.  They did this to eliminate the Broward and Dade County hoodies from turning Boca clubs into the nightmare that happens weekly at the club on Palmetto Park and Powerline.  The spillover from that club already causes problems in the city after it closes.  Unfortunately places like Murphy's will take it on the chin.
Back to the top
Control functions: