Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Sun-Sentinel article on Hancock's tryout with the Dolphins

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-miami-dolphins-michael-hancock-s050509,0,6915414.story

Local star tries to catch on with Miami Dolphins

Nick Schmit | South Florida Sun-Sentinel
    1:10 PM EDT, May 5, 2009

Davie - For Michael Hancock, being invited to rookie minicamp with the Miami Dolphins is something even he couldn't have imagined.

"I grew up being a Dolphin fan my whole life getting the opportunity to play for them is definitely a dream," Hancock said.

Hancock played defensive end at FAU and went to high school at Coral Springs Christian. Hancock is listed at 6-6, and has been asked to not only tackle the opponent but also a new position; transitioning from being a defensive end to a linebacker.

"It's a learning experience, and I just got to read everything in my playbook. For me the mental aspect is the most difficult part of it and just learning everything and all of the plays and all of the coverages and if I get the opportunity to come back it's something I am going to have to spend a ton of time doing," Hancock said. Hancock would be a long shot to make the Dolphin's roster as a rookie camp invitee and is working to get asked back for training camp.

"I got to stand out that much more than everyone else out there, so we'll see. I'm hopeful for the best."

Despite these tough odds, Hancock is not concerned right now about his future if the NFL does not pan out.

"The plan would be grad school, but right now I'm trying not to think about that," Hancock said. "You just hope you get the opportunity to keep playing and that what I'm hoping be able to do."

Hancock did not receive offers from another NFL team other than the Miami Dolphins.

Other FAU players asked to tryout in NFL camps include LB Franz Joseph, who signed an undrafted free-agent deal with the Oakland Raiders, DB Corey Small with the Washington Redskins, DT Jervonte Jackson with the Philadelphia Eagles, and DE Robert St. Clair with the New York Giants.

Back to the top

Re: Sun-Sentinel article on Hancock's tryout with the Dolphins

Sun-Sentinel article on Hancock's tryout with the Dolphins

Doubt he makes it.
Back to the top
Control functions: