Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Away Game Watch Parties - New Location Idea

Since things get slow this time of year, I thought we could discuss an idea I had about away game watch parties this season.

As an active alum that goes to a lot of events, I realize that one of the ideas once the stadium is in place that the Alumni Center will be used for pre & post game receptions.  With that idea, I think it would be a good idea if maybe we could set something up with the Alumni Association to sponsor watching the games at the Alumni Center.

Last season it was a real pain to watch the games.  Duffy's, Ale House and whether it was the east or west location became a bit confusing and a pain when you had to wait and see if the establishment was actually going to show the game.

The Alumni Center would provide a sense of camraderie and a set place to meet regularly and a guarantee you will see your Owls on TV.  I imagine they could even pop in a second TV for those that want to follow another game at the same time.

So, who would be in favor of something like this?  I think we could make it happen.

What would you be willing to pay for something like this if there were drinks and food with admission??

Discuss.
Back to the top

Re: Away Game Watch Parties - New Location Idea

Well, Coyote Jacks is a terrible excuse for a campus bar.  Weren't they putting a Hooters up in Boca?
Back to the top

I wouldn't consider Coyote Jacks, this would be more of a place for alums and adults in the community to gather, away from the students.

As for Hooters, all I know is there was once one on Glades, but was closed several years ago.

The Alumni Center gathering, IMO, would be a nice tradition to start.
Back to the top

Having never been to the alumni center I dont know much about it.  ???

How would the food/drink situation be resolved?

Obviously its not a restaruant so Im assuming the food would be catered?

Would booze (both Beer/Wine and Hard Liquor) be avaialbe for purchase?

I guess wed need a lot more information on the alumni center to see if its feasable.

Sitting in  rows of stackable chairs with a paper plate of food wouldnt exactly be my favorite way to watch a game.

As to the the Hooters, it IS returing to Boca. Its back by Moe's in what used to be the OLD, OLD Marios of boca location.

I think the Hooters therem of Owls would be a natural for a watch spot, but I could see how some fans COULD be turned off by the atmosphere/servers. ( I however am NOT in that category)

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

Food and drinks would have to be supplied by Chartwells.

I imagine, with the right conversations, we could probably get something done like $25 all-you-can-eat/drink.

They can put high top tables and regular tables in there, so no plates on laps.
Back to the top

I love the idea. A few thoughts come to mind:

1. Why separate students/fac/staff/alumni from each other? We aren't big enough to have more than one watch party yet, IMO.
  2. Hosting it at the alumni center is a fantastic idea. But do they have cable? And if they do, do they have satellite? If they don't, it's $1000s to purchase ONE game from DirectTV if you aren't a household because they assume more than a few people would be in attendance. In the case of bars/restaurants, they already have this package, and pay a lot for it.
  3. Yes, Chartwells would have to do the catering. I would image a deal could be worked for food and drink.
  4. If we take the watch part out of the community, we also take any future funding to the athletics department out. i.e. If athletics puts a "bid" out to see who is the highest bidder to host the watch parties.

BUT I LOVE THE IDEA OF THE ALUMNI CENTER. Don't get me wrong. I love the tradition. I just don't think we are ready for that yet, at least logistically.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

smittysahoot said

1) Why separate students/fac/staff/alumni from each other? We aren't big enough to have more than one watch party yet, IMO.
  1. Hosting it at the alumni center is a fantastic idea. But do they have cable? And if they do, do they have satellite? If they don't, it's $1000s to purchase ONE game from DirectTV if you aren't a household because they assume more than a few people would be in attendance. In the case of bars/restaurants, they already have this package, and pay a lot for it.
  2. Yes, Chartwells would have to do the catering. I would image a deal could be worked for food and drink.
  3. If we take the watch part out of the community, we also take any future funding to the athletics department out. i.e. If athletics puts a "bid" out to see who is the highest bidder to host the watch parties.

BUT I LOVE THE IDEA OF THE ALUMNI CENTER. Don't get me wrong. I love the tradition. I just don't think we are ready for that yet, at least logistically.

A valid point, Im not alumni, just a fan, so would the official watch party be off limits if it was at the alumni center? If thats the case doing it this way would REALLY cut down on the amount and growth of incidental fans that FAU REALLY needs right now.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

owlfamily said

A valid point, Im not alumni, just a fan, so would the official watch party be off limits if it was at the alumni center? If thats the case doing it this way would REALLY cut down on the amount and growth of incidental fans that FAU REALLY needs right now.

If they were to have some kind of watch party at the alumni center, I'm going to go out on a limb and say NO, the watch party would not be closed off to the community. However, there may be a stipulation that you have to be a member of the FAUNAA to attend. The FAUNAA is open to alumni and non-alumni.

It would certaintly be a good way to increase FAUNAA membership amongst non-alumni though.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

Away Game Watch Parties - New Location Idea

smittysahoot said

1. Why separate students/fac/staff/alumni from each other? We aren't big enough to have more than one watch party yet, IMO.
  2. Hosting it at the alumni center is a fantastic idea. But do they have cable? And if they do, do they have satellite? If they don't, it's $1000s to purchase ONE game from DirectTV if you aren't a household because they assume more than a few people would be in attendance. In the case of bars/restaurants, they already have this package, and pay a lot for it.
  3. Yes, Chartwells would have to do the catering. I would image a deal could be worked for food and drink.
  4. If we take the watch part out of the community, we also take any future funding to the athletics department out. i.e. If athletics puts a "bid" out to see who is the highest bidder to host the watch parties.

1.  I would separate the students from everyone else because that is what will be expected when the stadium is completed for the pre & post game celebrations.  Also, some people just don't want to mingle with the kids.  They would like the more professional, for lack of a better word, environment.

2.  There is a satellite feed available, they show games at Coyote Jacks, so this shouldn't be much of a problem or too expensive.

3.  Deal most likely would be cut.

4.  We could still reach out to the community.  I actually think you could sell more tickets, season & individual, this way as well as drum up some donations for The Owl Club and the FAUNAA.  People like to be recognized when they cut sizable checks and this would be a much better venue for that than in Duffy's or the Ale House.

I don't see what other logistics would need to be worked out to make this happen.

Imagine the turnout for the Nebraska game when you don't have to fight every other teams fans to watch your game, you're not cramped in a tiny section of a bar and you don't have to wait forever to get a beer.
Back to the top

smittysahoot said

owlfamily said

If they were to have some kind of watch party at the alumni center, I'm going to go out on a limb and say NO, the watch party would not be closed off to the community. However, there may be a stipulation that you have to be a member of the FAUNAA to attend. The FAUNAA is open to alumni and non-alumni.

It would certaintly be a good way to increase FAUNAA membership amongst non-alumni though.

If I were in charge of arranging this, which I'm not, I would not keep it off limits to anyone.  Maybe give a discount to FAUNAA members.  But in no way would I alienate anyone from coming to the event.
Back to the top
Control functions: