Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FIU Thomas Signs Four, Loses Two

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4112915

MIAMI – Florida International Golden Panthers coach Isiah Thomas has signed four junior college players, the first batch of scholarships given out by the Hall of Fame player since taking the job.

But Thomas, the former New York Knicks coach and president who was named FIU coach earlier this month, also likely will be losing two players.

Redlands Community College (Okla.) forward Marvin Roberts and guard Antoine Watson, along with Connors State (Okla.) guard Stephon Weaver, have signed letters of intent, the school said Tuesday.

“

We have nothing against Isiah Thomas or the FIU basketball program. But Freddy didn't come to FIU to play for a new coach. He came to FIU to play for [former FIU coach] Sergio Rouco under those conditions … Freddy has asked for a release and we're awaiting to get that release.
    ” – Art Alvarez, Freddy Asprilla's AAU coach

In addition, the Miami Herald reported that Phil Gary Jr., a point guard at Chicago Malcom X Community College, will join FIU.

Freddy Asprilla, a 6-10 center, and point guard Josue Soto have indicated they will leave FIU, according to the Herald.

Soto has decided to turn pro in Puerto Rico, and Thomas said: "We will do everything to assist Josue in his decision to play professional basketball in Puerto Rico," according to the newspaper.

Asprilla, the Sun Belt freshman of the year last season, appears to be a different issue. He has requested his release from the school, which has not been granted, and he returned to Colombia last Friday, the Herald reported.

"We have nothing against Isiah Thomas or the FIU basketball program,'' Art Alvarez, Asprilla's AAU coach, told the Herald. "But Freddy didn't come to FIU to play for a new coach. He came to FIU to play for [former FIU coach] Sergio Rouco under those conditions. His coach was just dismissed, and the combination of Josue leaving left him with uncertainty. Freddy has asked for a release and we're awaiting to get that release.''

Thomas, however, still wanted to speak with Asprilla.

''We want to do what's best for Freddy,'' Thomas said in the Herald. "We understand this is an emotional time for him with his coach being let go. We want to leave the door open at FIU for Freddy and I would like to talk with him when the time is right. I believe the players we have signed thus far will complement him real well.''

Roberts – touted by FIU as the leading junior college scorer in the nation this past season, averaging nearly 30 points per game – is from Brooklyn and averag

Watson, a 6-4 guard from Raleigh, N.C., played with Roberts at Redlands and averaged 24.8 points a game.

Weaver is a 6-3 guard from Forest City, Ark., who led Connor State to the NJCAA Final Four last season, averaging 17 points a game.

Gary, a 5-10 point guard, recorded three triple doubles last season at Chicago Malcom X and averaged 19 points and nine assists, according to the Herald.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Re: FIU Thomas Signs Four, Loses Two

"Freddy Asprilla, a 6-10 center, and point guard Josue Soto have indicated they will leave FIU, according to the Herald."

That's huge!

No pun intended:

We just became the SBC Team with the largest center in DeMonte Simpson ;D

The JC route is a quick fix for a roster, but you can't depend on it long term…that's why MJ, and even HS, stays away from it…you can mix ONE, two max, who is truly gifted in at times…but in the long run, it ain't gonna pay dividends…

We'll basically be facing a brand new team in FIU this upcoming season…
Back to the top

Thomas makes it sound like Freddy is not completely decided, or that they are trying to get him to stay…

Latest Story
Back to the top

It's been like that since Day 1….Thomas actually wanted both Soto and Asprilla to come back…obviously, Asprilla is way more important than Soto, especially given the fact Thomas has recruited some fairly well thought of guard JUCO's to fill the void, which in fact makes (made)Soto expendable. Isiah is trying hard to make Asprilla comfortable with him, and make him stay at FIU all along.

Asprilla is another story.  His AAU coach, adviser, and 'handler'…Art Alvarez (the same one that coached and advised Sammy Hernandez, and also coached and advises Soto) has categorically said Asprilla is not coming back, ands "shopping him around".  However, Thomas and staff believe (or believed at one point…not sure now), once they actually talk and hear from Asprilla, that Freddy could be convinced to stay.  Alvarez has done all the talking…not Asprilla  FIU wants to actully give themselves a chance on keeping Freddy, without the meddling of his AAU coach….I doubt it.  …..I think he is gone, since Alvarez has so much influence on all these kids…for some reason…even if Asprilla might actually like to stay at FIU and play for Thomas.
Back to the top

FIUFanatic said

Art Alvarez (the same one that coached and advised Sammy Hernandez…)

Cringe!

We're past Phi Slammy Sammy!  ;D

Yeah, i kind of got that impression too…but you never know!

If he doesnt stay, we are going to have the biggest big man in the league…
Back to the top

I know…. :)    Oh well….If Isiah makes Freddy to somehow stay at FIU, it would be his biggest "signing", in my opinion….
Back to the top

i don't understand how someone is not released from their scholarship. he still has to sit out a year regardless.
Back to the top

FIU Thomas Signs Four, Loses Two

…Yes…but if you don't release him, he has to pay his way out in that university for that year.  If you release him, the 'new' university can use one scholarship on say, Freddy, so that he doesn't have to pay anything while sitting out.
Back to the top

Rick said

Thomas makes it sound like Freddy is not completely decided, or that they are trying to get him to stay…

Latest Story

And yesterday this was posted by the Herald's Pete Pelegrin…sounds like he "may" have a change of heart…However, Pete mentions November as a time to confirm…regardless, it is a great thing that we DON'T need to be concerned with who will be here come that time…

On a side note:

Khambrel McGee is a solid land for them…
Back to the top
Control functions: