Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

ESPN.com Way to Early Top 25

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=4166221

20. Nebraska Cornhuskers 

The Cornhuskers improved from 5-7 to 9-4 in coach Bo Pelini's first season in 2008, and the pieces are in place for even more improvement this season. Ndamukong Suh is one of the best defensive tackles in the country, but the Cornhuskers were still sorting out their linebacker corps at the end of spring practice. Pelini stressed forcing more turnovers during spring practice, after Nebraska finished 107th nationally in turnover margin in his first season. Steady quarterback Joe Ganz will have to be replaced, along with wide receivers Nate Swift and Todd Peterson. The Cornhuskers' offense might resemble the old Big Red Machine, relying heavily on tailbacks Roy Helu Jr. and Quentin Castille and mobile quarterback Zac Lee's running. The schedule is pretty manageable with non-Big 12 games against three Sun Belt Conference foes and a Sept. 19 road game at Virginia Tech. Nebraska plays Big 12 road games at Missouri and Kansas, but plays Texas Tech and Oklahoma at home.

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Re: ESPN.com Way to Early Top 25

Just what we need!

Puff em up!
Back to the top

Florida_Owl said

Just what we need!

Puff em up!

haha I hope you're right and we can beat them but I'm not going to hold my breath. We still have an inexperienced D. There's no question we can put points on the board but it seems like with their running game, so can they. I just see this as another blow out. Let them prove me wrong

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

ESPN.com Way to Early Top 25

I was talking to a team member last night and he said our team was so inflated going into last season that it was no surprise we lost the games we did…he also offered that MTSU was about the most disheartening thing the team had ever gone through since he has been a part of it…it was tough to get out of the tank afterwards.

But, heading into this season they don't see themselves as "the favorite", and are MUCH more humble.

The above ranking for NU:

Not sold, but that's why they play the game…hope it completely goes to their heads…
Back to the top

Florida_Owl said

I was talking to a team member last night and he said our team was so inflated going into last season that it was no surprise we lost the games we did…he also offered that MTSU was about the most disheartening thing the team had ever gone through since he has been a part of it…it was tough to get out of the tank afterwards.

But, heading into this season they don't see themselves as "the favorite", and are MUCH more humble.

The above ranking for NU:

Not sold, but that's why they play the game…hope it completely goes to their heads…

it's better then athlon who has us a 16…

i think my favorite line is Knute Rockne talking to…i want to say Steihm back in the 1920's about a loss they had.  basically the quote was "i know what you're team beat us, it was because of clippings CLIPPINGS!  my boys had 4 trunk loads of news paper clippings telling them how great they were and how they wouldn't be beat by anyone."
Back to the top

Florida_Owl said

Just what we need!

Puff em up!

I'm willing to bet that Nebraska fans and their team are not feeling "cocky" with a projected 20th rank just based on their rich tradition.  I don't think it matters regardless they shouldn't have too much trouble destroying us.  At least we only have to endure two "body bag" games this year.
Back to the top

Last season was definitely a good learning process for the boys.  Every successful team has to endure what we went through last season, learning how to handle success is a HUGE part of being able to build long term success.

Learning how to deal with HYPE is definitely part of it, it happen right before the Colgate game & before the start of last season.  The players let the HYPE get to their heads.

Even as the team struggled through the season, they managed to fight through the adversities and battle each and every game - it wasn't pretty, but when they where able to focus solely on the game itself (MCB) they took care of business and played a complete game, not a great game but a complete game to come out on top.

Hopefully, lesson learned.  Teams like Nebraska are more polished and have been through this type of stuff before so it's nothing new to them, yet it doesn't mean it won't effect them some how, but probably adjust to it better.
Back to the top

Hopefully we'll make Nebraska as uncomfortable as when Dante Culpepper and UCF played them. 
Back to the top
Control functions: