Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

ESPN Blog- Top5 Non-BCS players that came out of nowhere....

Error Page

Five non-BCS players that came out of nowhere

May 20, 2009 12:30 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Graham Watson

How many times during the fall have you watched a game and thought, who the heck is that guy? I've done it on more than one occasion as some undiscovered talent goes racing down the field with an amazing catch or makes a ridiculous tackle.

That's why I've put together a list of five players who emerged this spring that no one knew much about.

• Omar Sawyer, WR, Utah State: After being challenged by new coach Gary Andersen to produce more offense, Sawyer gained 196 yards on three catches during the Aggies spring game. He also had touchdown catches of 72 and 80 yards.

• Alfred Morris, RB, Florida Atlantic: Morris was a backup fullback before injuries decimated the running back corps and Morris was moved for need. Turned out to be a great idea as Morris rushed for 277 yards and three touchdowns during his two spring scrimmages at running back.

• Marcus Rucker, WR, Memphis: Rucker was named the offensive MVP of the Memphis spring game after grabbing four passes for 126 yards and a touchdown. Coach Tommy West said Rucker could complement standout Carols Singleton.

• Tonny Glynn, RB, New Mexico State: The Aggies haven't been known for their running game during the past four years, but new head coach DeWayne Walker emphasized it during the spring and came away with Glynn and Marquell Colston. Glynn had 85 yards and a touchdown on 17 carries in the spring game.

• Demario Davis, LB, Arkansas State: Davis is still working on his fundamentals, but appears to be a great replacement for Ben Owens, who led the team in tackles last year. During the spring game, Davis had three tackles, two tackles for a loss, two sacks, a forced fumble and one pass break-up.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

Re: ESPN Blog- Top5 Non-BCS players that came out of nowhere....

ESPN Blog- Top5 Non-BCS players that came out of nowhere....

Mo is going to show up on the radar real quick......

"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower
Back to the top

my thoughts exactly…..'Mazing 'Mo needs to follow it up strong this season.
Back to the top

owlfamily said

• Alfred Morris, RB, Florida Atlantic: Morris was a backup fullback before injuries decimated the running back corps and Morris was moved for need. Turned out to be a great idea as Morris rushed for 277 yards and three touchdowns during his two spring scrimmages at running back.

"Decimated" is too strong of a word. Blanchard sustained a knee injury so we moved some people around.

Good pub though. Hopefully this guy can carry over his success into the Fall because we could use some real fireworks from the Morris/Rose/Stinson trio.
Back to the top

I'm surprised to hear anyone talking about our running backs nationally.  If we are able to have a balanced running and passing attack that could help us "hide" some of the youth that will be present on "D."
Back to the top
Control functions: