Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

The FAU Marquee on Glades Road

Add topic

is now gone.

It's bittersweet. We paid way too much for it, bought it through a Canadian company that couldn't fix it, it was ain a bad position because of Boca's sign regulations and then when it did work, people in SG didn't understand that the bright colors overwhelmed the small text so you couldn't really read it anyway.

The whole thing was a debacle. I doubt they'll get another one considering the cost ($500k)

Maybe we could get some billboards on campus instead. Cheaper, easier to read, can't go dead…
Back to the top

Re: The FAU Marquee on Glades Road

The what now?........ ???
Back to the top

I never ended up going to an event just because it was on the marquee though.
Just sad that it was a waste of money.
Back to the top

When it was originally bought in the mid 90's it was a $75,000 cooperative agreement between SG and Athletics…Athletics paid $25,000 towards the initial purchse…and they received 33.3% run time…we had to send the announcements via fax to an individual in the UC who was a "neutral party" in charge of overseeing diplay time.

Have no idea where that figure $500k figure came from, but it sounds like the company was trying raking them for $$$…it had been upgraded since the original LED board went in to a higher resolution however.

Here's where Athletics needs to put the marketing dollars for events they want large crowds to show up at…worked time and time again for us; while being displayed at the West Glades entrance just after the info booth on the right hand side…never had an event with less than 1500+ people with men's basketball as the premier sport…and we even put secondary sports on the banner…since we now have football events (Spring Game & Fan Fest), they should set the mark even higher at 3000+…forget the tiny little signs they stick in the ground on game/event days…this thing only costs $650 to rent for a couple of days…have them come out, set it up, and you get instant crowd:

Rick said

owlcountry said

In case anyone was wondering, there has been flyers "all over campus" (let's just say AOC) for the first home game. No banner. I haven't gotten an email about it either. It's Thursday now and by tomorrow half the campus will have their "Weekend Bags" ready to go and be off-campus.

Bring back the balloon! It works - bigtime!!!

Back to the top

Rick said

When it was originally bought in the mid 90's it was a $75,000 cooperative agreement between SG and Athletics…Athletics paid $25,000 towards the initial purchse…and they received 33.3% run time…we had to send the announcements via fax to an individual in the UC who was a "neutral party" in charge of overseeing diplay time.

Have no idea where that figure $500k figure came from, but it sounds like the company was trying raking them for $$$…it had been upgraded since the original LED board went in to a higher resolution however.

I was told $500k. Don't remember where I heard that. Someone in SG, I think.

Rick said

Bring back the balloon! It works - bigtime!!!

I'd agree to that. The signs in the ground are nice but they're hard to read from the car. They should be saved and placed around campus (where they can read) instead of along the roads.
Back to the top

The marquee was puchased in 2003. Unfortuantly, there was a change in theory when the "old" SG (Pablo, Ancel, me, etc.) were not reelected and the new SG (then Kirk Murray, Alvira Khan, David Johnson, Mike Hallenstien) came in. They didn't have the same vision for the marquee as we did.

The marquee that Rick is speaking of is not the same marquee owlcountry is speaking of. It wasn't $500k, maybe $300k over a payment schedule of several years. If I remember correctly. The one Rick is speaking of was prior to the one purchased in 2003.

Now, again, it been almost six years, so please excuse the cob webs as I try to clear them and remember what happened. So take what I say with a grain of salt.

The payment schedule may or may have not been fufilled by the "new" SG in 04, which then sent the Canada-based company into a bad mood and said "we're not fixing it when it's broken." Hense where we are now.

The marquee has/had the ability to have live streaming video. And the eventual goal was to stream games LIVE on to the marquee. This, of course, would have caused a traffic probrlem when we had live football games on there.

It was VERY forward thinking, but in my opinion, too much money and it wasn't planned out enough. But I think the idea was there.

Anyway, that's what I remember. It may or may not be accurate.

As far as the balloon… I tried this in 2007 and Boca said no. Hopefully, that will change.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

We need a much simpler marquee like those at UF and many other schools:

Back to the top

The FAU Marquee on Glades Road

smittysahoot said

As far as the balloon… I tried this in 2007 and Boca said no. Hopefully, that will change.

How can they say "no" to something on state land??
Back to the top

Lm77 said

Agree…
Back to the top

Rick said

Lm77 said

Agree…

EXACTLY. But I doubt they'll get another marquee for awhile. I hope I'm wrong about that…
Back to the top
Control functions: