Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Howard on Hotseat? Bleacher report thinks so

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/191261-hot-seat-that-other-old-coach

Hot Seat: That Other Old Coach

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

He has won a National Championship. He is unblemished in bowl games. He has revived three separate programs. He even dabbled in the professional game.

He started coaching in 1959, only nine years after Joe Paterno.

Howard Schnellenberger has done many things in the college football world.

But his current stint with the Florida Atlantic Owls might be coming to an end soon.

His 48-48 mark with the program is nothing to write home about…unless you consider the following: Schnellenberger has been coaching the Sun Belt Conference team since 2001, the programs first year of extinction.

FAU joined the SBC after being a Division 1-AA team its first four years, followed by a single year as a Division 1-A independent. Competing against programs that possess great fluidity and tradition is tough, especially when you are starting from scratch.

Starting in 1979, his twentieth year as a coach, Schnellenberger brought the University of Miami back into college football's limelight. His highlight was winning the 1983 National Championship. Coincidentally, that was his final year with the Hurricanes.

He jumped ship to coach a USFL team in Southern Florida. When those plans fell through, Schnellenberger took over at the University of Louisville.

His career coaching record of the Cardinals is below .500, due mainly to a rough first three years. During the next three seasons however, Schnellenberger brought UL to two bowl games, winning them both, as well as their highest ever ranking.

The guy has a complex named after him there…

Following the 1994 season, and in a rather arrogant manner, Schnellenberger took over the reigns to the Oklahoma Sooners.

Oklahoma suffered their second losing season since World War II.

In the midst of much speculation of whom to blame, cavalier coach or haughty "Sooner" players, Schnellenberger resigned.

From 1996-1998, Schnellenberger tried his luck in finance. Dismayed, he decided to recommit himself to the sport he loves.

FAU was putting together a football team, and who better to have at the helm than a coach who revived two programs? He lived in Florida, to boot.

Though old, he was experienced. Schnellenberger could recruit, and he recruited well.

As an Independent Division 1-AA team, in only its first four years of existence, Schnellenberger lead the Owls to a record of 26-21.

FAU jumped to Division 1-A as an Independent, and they faired rather poorly: 2-9.

The next three seasons were much more constructive. From 2006-2008, Schnellenberger placed the Owls at records of 5-7, 8-5 and 7-6, respectively. The latter two years featured FAU defeating Memphis 44-27 and Central Michigan 24-21 in bowl games.

With the 2007 New Orleans bowl invitation, FAU became the youngest program ever to be invited to a bowl get, let alone win one.

The Owls victory over CMU in the 2008 Motor City Bowl preserved Schnellenberger's perfect bowl record at 6-0. But his team, despite their marginal bowl win over the Chippewas, had an upsetting season.

Though Schnellenberger has done a rather stupendous job at Florida Atlantic, he may not have done enough. This could be his last year with the program, seeing as the Owl's best player (Rusty Smith, QB) is also leaving after this year.

The coach has an immediate knock against him in the fact that he is 75 years old.

If Schnellenberger cannot manage to lead the Owls to a more-than-impressive season, I have a hard time picturing a 76 year old man engineering a very young team with a new starting quarterback.

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Re: Howard on Hotseat? Bleacher report thinks so

http://bleacherreport.com/users/119223-Sean-Martin

You read this guys Bio?

Sean's Bio

I have recently completed my sophomore year at the University of Vermont.
I played baseball and football my entire life, and am fortunate enough to play for the club team at my institution, UVM.
I am an avid fan of the New England Patriots. I also follow college football religiously.

This kid is 20 years old, he lives in Vermont what the hell does he know about FAU?

I'm going to write an article with no facts that UVM's basketball coach is going to be fired this year if they don't win a national championship

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

I guess we should be flattered that we have reached a point where our program is on the radar of a college student in Vermont.  Sure his article is stupid, inaccurate, and pointless, but at least we have accomplished enough to even have something so dumb written about our program.
Back to the top

Jab979 said

I'm going to write an article with no facts that UVM's basketball coach is going to be fired this year if they don't win a national championship

:D x 10

Back to the top

That's the beauty of the internet, anyone can be a "source".  His article does bring up a question that I've had for a while now though.  Every season you constantly hear about Paterno and Bowden and how they are the oldest coaches and the big question is "who will give it up first?".  Howard is not too far behind those two, and I always find myself wondering when will his name start to pop up.  We don't get a whole lot of coverage normally, but atleast howard's age could get us some more recognition.

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top

Ughh….I'm ashamed this came from a fellow Patriots fan.  Cristobal went 1-11 two years ago and 5-7 last year.  I guess by this kids logic if FIU doesn't go to the National Championship this year Cristobal is on the hot seat as well…….. ::)
Back to the top

Howard on Hotseat? Bleacher report thinks so

I think the summer doldrums have OFFICIALLY begun.

I do like the fact that at least FAU is on the radar screen in a basement in Vermont by some pimple faced kid but it should get no more weight than what is written on toilet paper.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

What does Vermont know, except for Maple syrup and snow skiing.

"FAU is on a collision course with the national championship. The only variable is time."
Back to the top

I don't think age has anything to do with a Paterno, Bowden or Schnellenberger's of the world.  These three amigo's have a ton of college football experience and knowledge - sure they've had to make adjustment along the way, the game has evolved some, but the basics of the game remains unchanged for the most parts.  New techniques have been introduced with more emphasis on strength & conditioning, yet football is what defines these guys, they breath it and live it.

They are a rare breed.

Age has been used against Paterno & Bowden many times, when they struggled heck I remember at the start of this season, some fans thought that age might have finally caught up to Howard, yet all three found a way to bounce back.

They still command respect and that is half the battle and I'm sure they are still great motivators - results speak for themselves.

Howard might not have the greatest overall records, but look at what he's accomplished by building up programs - he had to endure many down years before looking at a winning record, as oppose to an Urban Myer who walks into a program that wins on regular basis, let alone have been bellow .500 in a while.
Back to the top

Owlando said

What does Vermont know, except for Maple syrup and snow skiing.

Maple Syrup  :o  hmm good stuff!
Back to the top
Control functions: