Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Page worth the join?

Add topic

If you are on Facebook, might want to consider this one:

Booo the fowl owls on campus

"This group is dedicated to booing and putting down the students or anyone else who comes onto our campus wearing any other schools teams. These people are to be booed and made fun of. The real point of this group is to get more support for our sports teams and have them taken more seriously i am tired of seeing UF,FSU and UCF etc. on campus especially on game day if you agree with this help join the cause and boo our fowl owls."
Back to the top

Re: Page worth the join?

yea im in this gruop one of my fraternity brothers created its great ….even though you do see some its becoming less and less but it is  great to see students stand up against this
Back to the top

When I first visited the campus this really bugged me.  It was like nobody cared about their school or anything.  Sure there were people wearing FAU stuff.  But it seemed like the clothing coming from other schools was over powering it.
Back to the top

Page worth the join?

These kinds of social networking sites allows students to gain support for their ideas and initiatives.

We created a Fowl Owl program, and Facebook site, that never fully came to fruition in 2006.

I think booing may go a bit far on a activist-type campus like FAU. Students take things seriously, too seriously, and will make a bigger deal out of it than it needs to be - especially if they aren't a sports fan and don't understand or aren't subjected to the daily banter that sports fan have amongst each other.

There was a story written by the Palm Beach Post In February 2008 (I think it was February 2008) that insinuated that the "Fowl Owls," which were attributed wrongly in the article (from a quote they received) to being a real group on campus, vandalized a vehicle that had a Rice Owls sticker on its rear window. The Fowl Owls aren't a real group of people, so how could they vandalize a car?

But, just like the prOWLers, the Dirty Birds and other groups, this campaign may be wrongly accused for the actions of others and the booing may be a negative effect of such a positive campaign.

Just thoughts, guys. But I really do like that students are taking action to help raise the student spirit on campus.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

smittysahoot said

These kinds of social networking sites allows students to gain support for their ideas and initiatives.

We created a Fowl Owl program, and Facebook site, that never fully came to fruition in 2006.

I think booing may go a bit far on a activist-type campus like FAU. Students take things seriously, too seriously, and will make a bigger deal out of it than it needs to be - especially if they aren't a sports fan and don't understand or aren't subjected to the daily banter that sports fan have amongst each other.

There was a story written by the Palm Beach Post In February 2008 (I think it was February 2008) that insinuated that the "Fowl Owls," which were attributed wrongly in the article (from a quote they received) to being a real group on campus, vandalized a vehicle that had a Rice Owls sticker on its rear window. The Fowl Owls aren't a real group of people, so how could they vandalize a car?

But, just like the prOWLers, the Dirty Birds and other groups, this campaign may be wrongly accused for the actions of others and the booing may be a negative effect of such a positive campaign.

Just thoughts, guys. But I really do like that students are taking action to help raise the student spirit on campus.

Smitty we all know it was you who vandalized that car lol.

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Jab979 said

LOL shhhhhh it's a secret. I said "go go gadget arm" and stretched across the Gulf of Mexico and ripped the sticker off.

You think that's amazing? Wait until my "go go gadget leg" has planned for opening day.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

smittysahoot said

Jab979 said

LOL shhhhhh it's a secret. I said "go go gadget arm" and stretched across the Gulf of Mexico and ripped the sticker off.

You think that's amazing? Wait until my "go go gadget leg" has planned for opening day.

Well if you have a go go gadget head you can be at all the home games

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

smittysahoot said

Yeah, we never really decided how we were going to enforce it.

smittysahoot said

I thought that was a Dori Zinn article in the University Press? Maybe both of them covered it.
Back to the top

theblackmaria6 said

When I first visited the campus this really bugged me.

When was that? Other than UF stuff here or there, I rarely ever see anything from another school.
Back to the top

owlcountry said

When was that? Other than UF stuff here or there, I rarely ever see anything from another school.

I'm an incoming Freshman this year for starters. So the first time I visited the campus was maybe, January or February.  I saw at least 4-5 UCF shirts alone on campus, and maybe 2 USF shirts. I can understand Florida or Florida State because they are such big schools, and people have grown up knowing about them.  But UCF and USF?
Back to the top
Control functions: