Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Now or Later?

Should FAU spend its money on half an on-campus stadium (15,000 seats) for 2010 or build the full size stadium (30,000 seats) for 2011?

Half-size (15,000 seats) now
full-size (30,000 seats) later
Lockhart for Life

You must select between 1 and 41 options

Now or Later?

Flip Flop Football | FAU stadium: Small now or bigger later???

The question is simple, but the choice is difficult.

If we build the half-size stadium of 15,000 seats now (will open 2010 season), FAU can most likely sellout the games and use portions of that money to fund the rest of the stadium at a later date. However, this means only a maximum of 15,000 people can attend the game, when more than 27,000 students are forced to pay athletic fees, so you will have many people protesting. Not to mention with some sort of stadium on campus that has the potential to sellout every game, what would drive FAU to complete the 30,000 seat stadium? There is no immediate rush.

"FAU is on a collision course with the national championship. The only variable is time."
Back to the top

Re: Now or Later?

Yeah I don't know.  I would prefer a 30K seat stadium ASAP but the thought of having to play another year at Lockhart is dreadful.
Back to the top

Agree…whatever gets the Team on the field the fastest…….

And if that is 15k, so be it.
Back to the top

build whatever you can now even if it's only half a stadium. Use the money from selling tickets and parking and concessions to help fund the rest of the stadium. A half stadium is better than no stadium. Plus aren't we paying to use Lockhart?

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Owlando said

However, this means only a maximum of 15,000 people can attend the game, when more than 27,000 students are forced to pay athletic fees, so you will have many people protesting.

It would probably be 17k if you include standing room only but that wouldn't happen. By the time people would be angry about being turned away, we will have added more seats.
Back to the top

Jab979 said

Use the money from selling tickets and parking and concessions to help fund the rest of the stadium.

OK, but then what's to stop FAU from saying "let's keep the stadium at 15,000 for the next five years or so, and use half this income from the tickets, parking, concession towards scholarships and other projects."

Plus, we can't find someone to buy the naming rights of a brand new 30,000 seat stadium, who's going to pay for a half built stadium???

Good things come to those who wait, so let's wait and do it the right way.

"FAU is on a collision course with the national championship. The only variable is time."
Back to the top

Owlando said

Jab979 said

Use the money from selling tickets and parking and concessions to help fund the rest of the stadium.

OK, but then what's to stop FAU from saying "let's keep the stadium at 15,000 for the next five years or so, and use half this income from the tickets, parking, concession towards scholarships and other projects."

Plus, we can't find someone to buy the naming rights of a brand new 30,000 seat stadium, who's going to pay for a half built stadium???

Good things come to those who wait, so let's wait and do it the right way.
If we can't sell out 15,000 seats, who's to say we'll ever expand?

How often have we had over 15,000 butts in the seats at Lockhart? …. USF. ONE time that I can remember.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

Lockhart HAS to go. Its beyond time.

Like Jarvis said about the Burrow, if its small, that means the tickets become a commodity and that snowballs into more interest and more dollars to expand.

Its a risk, cause we all know that FAU could easily turn around after 15k was done and stall for another 10 years, but I think the payoff would be better.

Count me in on small and now.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

smittysahoot said

How often have we had over 15,000 butts in the seats at Lockhart? …. USF. ONE time that I can remember.

I think the Colgate game, back in the day, sold out.

I think more people, especially students living on campus, would start going to the games if they were in boca.

Also everyone is complaining about lockhart being a dump, and it is, but the halfstadium would be smaller than lockhart. So do you all really want a smaller, newer version of lockhart? FAU should just wait it out another season.

Back to the top

Owlando said

I think the Colgate game, back in the day, sold out.

I think more people, especially students living on campus, would start going to the games if they were in boca.

Also everyone is complaining about lockhart being a dump, and it is, but the halfstadium would be smaller than lockhart. So do you all really want a smaller, newer version of lockhart? FAU should just wait it out another season.

A.) It would be a new facility
B.) It would be On Campus
C.) If only the seatins is comprimised then the Locker rooms/Facilities would be upgraded.
D.) All income would flow into FAU and any outside income would flow into the City of Boca's Coffers instead of Ft. Lauderdale.

No one complains about the size of Lockhart, (Especially since we dont fill it now) its the distance, and condition that are the major drawbacks.

A new "1/2" complete stadium eliminates the biggest drawbacks.

But I'm not 100% sold, I see the danger in going small, and then having someone decide to keep it small.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top
Control functions: