Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU To Land $800K Payout From GameCocks

Congrats to the Owls, who potentially land the largest pay out EVER from the Gamecocks for a visiting team at Williams-Brice Stadium …now if we can just get the W??

Ok, ok…Let's not go there.

But $800K from NU, and now another from SC makes $1.6M in total and = "not too shabby" at all.

There is no source quoted for the information in the article, but here is the link from The State newspaper:

$800K Payout

Back to the top

Re: FAU To Land $800K Payout From GameCocks

Rick said

Congrats to the Owls, who potentially land the largest pay out EVER from the Gamecocks for a visiting team at Williams-Brice Stadium …now if we can just get the W??

But $800K from NU, and now another from SC makes $1.6M in total and = "not too shabby" at all.

There is no source quoted for the information in the article, but here is the link from The State newspaper:

$800K Payout

Does this money go directly to the football program or FAU Athletics?

"FAU is on a collision course with the national championship. The only variable is time."
Back to the top

Owlando said

Rick said

$800K Payout

Does this money go directly to the football program or FAU Athletics?

I believe the money goes to the overall operating expense of football and the athletics department. Unless it's an earmarked donation, ya gotta think of the athletics budget was one big pot: If football gets $1.6 million from game guarantees, that's $1.6 million they can use to cover expenses of travel, which in turn would free up money for other teams, etc. etc. etc.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

FAU To Land $800K Payout From GameCocks

FAU was supposed to play Miami in the SC spot this year but Miami didnt want to pony up this high of cash.

If the BCS elite need us to fill in thier schedule, they should pay us A LOT of money to do it.

UNT is getting over 900K to play Georgia next year and I belive that stAte (Or ULM, I cant remember) is getting 1 million from another BCS prgroam.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

yeah, and I say take the money and beat them too. My in-laws live in columbia SC, what a stupid mascot, everywhere you look, "cocks this" and "cocks that", stupid cocks!
Back to the top

NCowl said

yeah, and I say take the money and beat them too. My in-laws live in columbia SC, what a stupid mascot, everywhere you lock, "cocks this" and "cocks that", stupid cocks!

:D

I was born there…but yeah, they are over the top…lol
Back to the top

It is amazing to me how much programs like FAU get to go play away games.  It creates a situation of diverging goals almost.  I mean on one hand you have Old Howard trying to make FAU into a good program, and has a pretty good thing going IMO, but on the other hand they schedule teams that they have less of a chance to beat.  This hurts bowl chances and exposure for recruiting.  Not to mention the Bowl Revenue.  I am not sure after the Conference splits the Bowl Revenue if a school would make more than the BCS team will pay, but losing the exposure has to hurt.  I mean NU vs. FAU won't be on anything better than local Pay-per-view, which is very frustrating for someone living out of the area like myself.  :-[  Anyway, what are your thoughts?
Back to the top

caveman99 said

It is amazing to me how much programs like FAU get to go play away games.  It creates a situation of diverging goals almost.  I mean on one hand you have Old Howard trying to make FAU into a good program, and has a pretty good thing going IMO, but on the other hand they schedule teams that they have less of a chance to beat.  This hurts bowl chances and exposure for recruiting.  Not to mention the Bowl Revenue.  I am not sure after the Conference splits the Bowl Revenue if a school would make more than the BCS team will pay, but losing the exposure has to hurt.  I mean NU vs. FAU won't be on anything better than local Pay-per-view, which is very frustrating for someone living out of the area like myself.  :-[  Anyway, what are your thoughts?

Bobby Bowden built FSU the same way Coach Schnellenberger built UM, Louisville and now Miami: We'll play anyone, at any time, any where. Plus now-a-days, pay-out games helps to balance the budgets of dozens of schools.

I love the idea of playing bigger teams. With an inconsistent South Florida fan base, playing 'big schools' with recognized name will get more fans in the stands. In 2002, we played some GOOD schools, but they were IAA and the average football fan may have never heard of them.

Playing teams like Nebraska, South Carolina, Florida, USF, Texas, Clemson, etc. gives the average student a reason to follow the team.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Back to the top

I get what your are saying smitty, but aren't almost all of these games at the BCS school's stadium?  If that is the case, I am not sure what local pub that gets you.  You aren't going to reap the rewards of the Yankee/Cub/Red Sox effect. 
Back to the top

caveman99 said

I get what your are saying smitty, but aren't almost all of these games at the BCS school's stadium?  If that is the case, I am not sure what local pub that gets you.  You aren't going to reap the rewards of the Yankee/Cub/Red Sox effect.

Yes, they are at visiting team's places, hense the payout. Some schools did agree to do some home-and-homes or some variation of that - i.e. Minny was two away and one home, MSU was one home and one away.

The local pub helps our general student, who really don't follow college football, give them a reason to care and to go to the game.

There's a big difference between walking down the hallways and seeing a banner that says FAU plays Colgate (a great Div IAA school) and FAU plays Nebraska, MSU, Clemson, etc.

Back to the top
Control functions: