Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Still to this day OU fans are blind in what went down...

OU columnists are once again praising Barry Switzer and throwing Schnellenberger under the bus about the lone season he had while the head Coach of the Sooners. What puzzles me in this article is the fact that they do this this through a sympathetic quote from Switzer (the true culprit of their fall) regarding another coach that was undoubtedly the worst hire they ever made in John Blake.  Blake recorded the worst record they had posted in quite a number of years prior to Schnellenberger's arrival. But they won't cut Schnellenberger any slack for inheriting his mess.

As we have seen, it takes time to build a program.  And to be completely objective, don't know all of the "ins and outs" of exactly what went down in Norman.  But, having lived there for three years, have heard enough of the baseless comments made by a bunch of radical (mostly drunk) fans and writers that carry nothing other than sheer disregard for anything but a leader who puts "W's" on the board.

Schnellenberger was there one year.  Did not have his own players.  And was, in my opinion, nothing more than a transitioning coach they looked to as a "saviour" - but did not give any time to accomplish the goal of having to clean up the mess inherited.  And now, he's the continued "scape goat".

To still see these articles published still today is truly a testimony of disregard for the complete picture.

We, as Owl fans, join with those who reside in Louisville, KY; knowing how the desire to win immediately often overshadows reality.

At least he has had the proper time in both of the aforementioned locations to accomplish goals properly and enjoys the praise deserved.

Barry Switzer, however, looks like a spotless lamb - with no accountability in what he caused to take place.  Despite the responsibility he should face as the coach who took their program into a period of relationships with recruits/players of poor character that cost them the pedestal they resided upon at the time.

To hear that he "didn't feel that way for Schnellenberger, though [afterwards]" when commenting on the situation he caused is a joke.

The downslide was all his (Switzer's) fault - that's why he resigned.  And the fact that the OU writing community and fans can't see that is a joke as well.

The "after-hand" resumes speak for themselves:

"Switzer recently finished eight television commercials for Dunkin' Donuts in which he coaches various activities, including women's yoga, men's swimming, women's lacrosse and chess."

BTW, Schnellenberger is currently coaching the FAU Owls.  A football team with aspirations of making their third straight Bowl appearance.  He coaches his "chess" on the gridiron.

Rant over:

Article
Back to the top

Re: Still to this day OU fans are blind in what went down...

As a Husker Fan that grew up with OU as our main Rivals in the Old Big 8, I can tell you that what old Barry did down at OU is almost kill a program.  If the end result of what the NCAA death penalty did to SMU wasn't so harsh, I think it would have been applied.  I am not sure we will ever see a Death Penalty for athletic programs again. 
Back to the top

Funny isn't it…they can't see that…

But they can sure hoist the insults at HS…
Back to the top

Still to this day OU fans are blind in what went down...

You know at times I almost forget that HS coached there.  Heck he only got a very short opportunity, really I think most people place the debacle squarely on Blake's shoulders.  That man could flat out recruit, but boy is he a TERRIBLE COACH.  Butch Davis must have someone else helping "coach" Blakes unit so he can reap the recruiting rewards.  Blake was on our staff under Clownahan, can't say his name straight without envoking pain, and was HORRIBLE!!!  Did pull in some big recruits though….. :-\
Back to the top

Exactly! ;D

And i agree with you about Callahan…….

Have a friend who is also a Husker fan and he has the exact same sentiments…….
Back to the top

caveman99 said

You know at times I almost forget that HS coached there.  Heck he only got a very short opportunity, really I think most people place the debacle squarely on Blake's shoulders.  That man could flat out recruit, but boy is he a TERRIBLE COACH.  Butch Davis must have someone else helping "coach" Blakes unit so he can reap the recruiting rewards.  Blake was on our staff under Clownahan, can't say his name straight without envoking pain, and was HORRIBLE!!!  Did pull in some big recruits though….. :-\

i'd disagree i think he did a good job with moore and carricker.  and that's with us running a 3-4 but with 4 down linemen

plus i think he was the motivator out there for us.
Back to the top

vuren said

caveman99 said

i'd disagree i think he did a good job with moore and carricker.  and that's with us running a 3-4 but with 4 down linemen

I think he was successful because of the talent on the field not visa versa, I keep hearing and finding interesting tidbits on him not being good.  Granted I wasn't there personally so who knows you.  You are right that his resume at NU was a decent one, so I will give him that credit. 
Back to the top

caveman99 said

vuren said

caveman99 said

hasn't he been doing a good job with the north carolina line?
I think he was successful because of the talent on the field not visa versa, I keep hearing and finding interesting tidbits on him not being good.  Granted I wasn't there personally so who knows you.  You are right that his resume at NU was a decent one, so I will give him that credit.
Back to the top

vuren said

caveman99 said

vuren said

caveman99 said

hasn't he been doing a good job with the north carolina line?
I don't pay enough attention to them to know.  Maybe I will look at their stats to see….
Back to the top

Well, don't look know, but Dave Sittler of the Tulsa World took a big swing at Ted when he brought this subject up as well, and Ted fired back…good for him!

These fans and writers are delusional at times with regards to King Barry…besides, who has a homecoming for a disgraced failure??

Anyway, check out Ted's response to Dave Sittler of the Tulsa World who tried to slam him:

Did The Local Media Unfairly Pick On Schnellenberger?

Back to the top
Control functions: