Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

What is "Average" for Nebraska?

What is "Average" for Nebraska?

Some good statistical analysis on NU for the upcoming game…the writer "removed FAU and FIU from the mix as they didn't have five full seasons at the FBS level" but still fun to "crunch the numbers"…….

Defense Last Five Years:

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Image source: bigrednetwork.com

Offense Last Five Years:

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Image source: bigrednetwork.com

Click Here for the full article

Back to the top

Re: What is "Average" for Nebraska?

I will say while this kind of information is interesting and good to start conversation but our offensive stats are generally a little up and defensive way down.. The coaching change makes a huge difference because there is a completely different attitude and mentality on the way that defense is played..
Back to the top

I agree...totally would expect that with a new coach, etc as well...
Back to the top

The original discussion in a previous article they posted was about how teams regress back to the mean statisically.  Teams can do really well or really poor for awhile, but in the long run the team will regress or improve back to what the program traditionally has done.  I bantered back and forth with the auther of the previous article about how the mean for NU wasn't the median of 60, I was interested in what the mean for NU really should be and what it is.  Many factors play into this obviously, an improvement or downgrade in coaches may alter what the mean becomes or is as has happened to NU in recent history.  It is also true that conference strength plays a large part in how well a team does statistically and wins wise.  The top teams all play in similar conferences so getting an average from them should give an idea of what it takes to be a top team again for NU.  Looking at NU's average since 2000, all post Tom Osborne years, NU has had a slippage in Defensive performance, yet seems pretty steady Offensively as compared to the top programs.  NU has been in that top program group quite a bit since 2000, but the last 6-7 years were not elite years by anyone's measure.  Winning seasons in all but 3 years, 2002, 2004, and 2007, so good years in there, yes, but not great after 2001.  That being said the mean for NU based on the last 8-9 years is still far above the median of 60, but NU has work to do defensively to get into the mean range for the great teams.  Bo and Co. took a big step at that last year and many NU fans are optimistic about 2009 and especially 2010. 
Back to the top
Control functions: