Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Title IX help

I have a very general understanding of Title IX within college athletics, but need better understanding.

I thought that there needs to be a equal amount of athletic opportunities for men and women within college sports.

FAU has eight men's sports programs and eight women's sports programs.

But FIU has 5 men's and 8 women's.

So how is this justifiable?

Not trying to attack FIU, just need clarification on the issue.

"FAU is on a collision course with the national championship. The only variable is time."
Back to the top

Re: Title IX help

In a nut shell:

It's an expenditure "fairness doctrine" that is adminstrated based upon enrollment numbers.

IE, 60% Female - 40% Male would mean that then athletic funding must be handed out at a 60:40 percent female to male ratio.

Here's a good article to read if you have interest:  

ERROR: A link was posted here (url) but it appears to be a broken link.

The opportunities and challenges of Title IX
Back to the top

title 9 really just needs to get cut it's idiotic now.
Back to the top

vuren said

It will soon be the root cause in many men's sports getting the axe in these economically troubled times.  Sports like Wrestling could get the axe since the schools can't cut the womens' sports.  Not saying it is worse than cutting a womens' sport, simply that the collegiate scene won't be the same in 5 years. 
Back to the top

caveman99 said

vuren said

It will soon be the root cause in many men's sports getting the axe in these economically troubled times.  Sports like Wrestling could get the axe since the schools can't cut the womens' sports.  Not saying it is worse than cutting a womens' sport, simply that the collegiate scene won't be the same in 5 years.

last summer i think 2 or 3 schools had to cut womens sports because of title 9
Back to the top

Title IX help

Title IX has three sections - and the athletics departments must meet at least one every year.

One: Providing athletic opportunities in the same ratio as male/female student body ratio (ex. FAU in 2008 had 60 percent female - 40 percent male)
Two: Demonstrate continued expansion of athletic opportunities for the underrepresented sex
Three: Full accommodation of the interest and ability of underrepresented sex.

Source: My brain (from classes I've taken) and Wikipedia (for the third criteria above)

FAU does a survey each year, which meets prong three.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

When a school in sunny south Florida (UM) cut the diving team some years back, I just shook my head...

"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower
Back to the top
Control functions: