Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FIU Basketball player threatens to sue school

http://www.midmajormadness.com/2009/7/8/941925/florida-international-v-asprilla

Florida International v. Asprilla: Another Isiah Thomas Debacle?

fter only two months on the job, Isiah Thomas might be bringing Florida International University (FIU) exactly what everyone thought he would… and its not a championship. William Sanchez, attorney for estranged FIU star Freddy Asprilla, said that his client "would sue if necessary" if Isiah would not grant him a release to transfer to a major conference school. Isiah immediately pointed a finger at Athletic Director Pete Garcia, citing that it was Garcia's decision alone to grant the release.

Since the deadline for an appeal has passed, if Freddy were to leave the program for another at this point, per NCAA rules he would have no choice but to pay his tuition at what ever school he transferred too. Coincidentally enough, Thomas and Garcia neglected to inform Freddy of the impending deadline until it was to late. Asprilla, who was named Sun Belt Freshman of the Year in 09', wanted to leave the program after the firing of Head Coach Sergio Rouco and his immediate (and we're talking in 24 hours) replacement by Isiah Thomas.

Considering that FIU has granted releases for several other players (non near the caliber of Asprilla), it seems downright wrong to deny an athlete the ability to leave a program soley based on the value he brings to the team. If I were Asprilla, I'd get in touch with Stephon Marbury… he seems to know a thing or two about dealing with Mr. Thomas.

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Re: FIU Basketball player threatens to sue school

I love how Isiah hasn't even coached a game yet and he's already blaming things on the AD. Way to go Isiah Thompson!

Back to the top

How childish is this entire charade??

If the kid doesnt want to be there, why would you stand in his way??

Selfish, and completely unprofessional…
Back to the top

FIU Basketball player threatens to sue school

Rick said

How childish is this entire charade??

If the kid doesnt want to be there, why would you stand in his way??

Selfish, and completely unprofessional…

They tell him oh you have to pay your own way the deadline passed. How about letting him know there was a deadline. This isn't making them look any better

Back to the top

Going, going, gone.

Headed to Miami Dade CC for now…

Freddy ready to move on
Back to the top

Rick said

Going, going, gone.

Freddy read to move on

You think Jarvis is scratching his chin?  I would love for this kid to come play for FAU and take it to FIU for a few seasons.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

Rick said

Going, going, gone.

Freddy read to move on

You think Jarvis is scratching his chin?  I would love for this kid to come play for FAU and take it to FIU for a few seasons.

Nah…doesn't want the drama, and we have no scholly's anyway…….

Kore White got the nod at big man for the last spot this year…kid will be solid in MJ's system…
Back to the top
Control functions: