Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FIU Gets a big man for 2011?

Big Hoops Recruit To FIU

Quote from the post…

Chris Coleman, a 6-11, 250-pound center, committed on Wednesday night to play for FIU and new basketball coach Isiah Thomas.

Coleman, who is a sophomore at Mount Zion Academy in North Carolina, would join the Panthers in 2011 as a freshman.

Trying to get CC on the phone to hear his thoughts.

Nice pick up, but still a LONG ways off.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

Re: FIU Gets a big man for 2011?

owlfamily said

Nice pick up, but still a LONG ways off.

;D

I wonder if Thomas will still be there??
Back to the top

FIU Gets a big man for 2011?

Even more interesting is whether he will stick with this commitment…

Kid has gotten some offers from some solid programs…UConn…'Cuse…UWV…NC State…Va Tech…Texas…

Impressive…

Back to the top

Rick said

Even more interesting is whether he will stick with this commitment…

Kid has gotten some offers from some solid programs…UConn…'Cuse…UWV…NC State…Va Tech…Texas…

Impressive…

Wow, lets hope Thomas isn't there anymore if he will be recruiting kids like this.  UConn?  Texas?  No joke.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Isiah Thomas Seeks Redemption At FIU

Article
Back to the top

Being a Knick fan my entire life, I hate Isiah. But to give the guy a little bit of credit, I've never scene anyone, anywhere who can spot talent like he can. The guy has a uncanny ability to find it.

I also think he's going to do well at FIU. The guy has the background but lost his mind when he was coaching in the greatest arena in the world (MSG). Just like Doherty and Jarvis, they had their heads above the clouds and had to be brought back down to earth. I haven't seen Jarvis since he left St. Johns but from the quotes I've read and what people have said about him he seems to be a new man. When he left St. Johns there was a bounty on the guys head. For those of you who don't know, SJU is the 4th winningest program amongest college basketball teams. Its big time up here and he pretty much ruined it because of his cockiness. He didn't like to recruit and did not put in the time to mingle with the high school coaches, he felt they were going to come to him.

While Thomas was in the NBA and MJ was in college up here, I think they both realize that nobody is bigger then the game. That brought them both back down to earth (and to south florida), where there both going to do great things. While I still hate Isiah for ruining my Knicks, I bet he's going to have a great team in a year or two at FIU. Which will only help the Sunbelt if we have a couple of teams in the 25 year in and year out. WKU, South Alabama, fiu, and of course FAU.

I'm also very interested to read the papers up here after his game vs. Manhattan University. I'm guessing its not going to be pretty, he's still not liked up here by the Redmen faithful.
Back to the top

Exit:

You will be at the Manhattan contest, correct??
Back to the top

Yeah, it might be Manhattan College, its really kind of a small school, similar to Lynne. Its not even in Manhattan, its in the Bronx. I hope MJ still has some connections in the Bronx, some of the best high schools in the country for basketball are within five miles of the Manhattan College Campus, Mount Vernon, St. Raymond's, John F. Kennedy, Iona Prep. The crazy thing is if the team played at St. Johns, there's probably another 5 high schools with equal talent in Queens. It just goes to show you how much talent there is in this area, so much more then South Florida. Most coaches  in the country work Baltimore and NYC. Its weird how it works out. Then you have some prep schools in Connecticut that a lot of coaches hit up, South Kent, Christian Heritage.

The problem is its tough to compete with the elite talent because most kids like to stay home, Howard's philosophy for basketball or if they want Florida they go away to UF, Miami or South Florida. Even though South Florida is one of the most poorly coached and run teams in the country. Its pathetic they can't sell a kid to come to Florida and still play all of his away games in front of family and friends when it goes to UCONN, SJU, Pitt, Seton Hall, Villanova away games. Absurd in my opinion.

MJ needs to use that religion card and sell it to the kids parents. That MJ and God will be watching over their 18 yr old 1300 miles away. I think it could work. The thing with college B-Ball is you only need a point guard and a big man. Everything opens up for the sg + pf if you have a guy in the midle and somebody controlling and passing the ball. If Ray Taylor can handle the point from the get go and Justin Davis is as good as advertised, the team should be good from the beginning, especially with this cup cake schedule.
Back to the top

He is concentraitng recruiting efforts up that way…and has said they will also look at every DI kid in the state of Florida as well…

But, like you said there are alot more solid players up there, than down here…so, the odds are better…

On your last point, i can think of none finer to act as a father figure for young men while away from home…the Faith is for real…it's not a card ;)

(but know what you mean and agree)

i know some folks in that neck of the woods will continue to argue his past and that is fine…but his character is beyond reproach in my book…hands down best we have ever had at FAU in the Men's basketball program…

Besides, last time i checked, we all have a past…what's important is to see repentance and change…

Back to the top

i agree with what your saying about the "we all have a past" and I think I fairly stated he was too cocky when he was at st. johns, same as doherty at UNC and Isiah w/Knicks.

we'll see what happens this year. I haven't spoken/met to him in over 7 years probably. I hope the team is good, seems like the talent is there. More importantly, FAU has never had any problems with kids getting arrested, that's one thing that needs to stay firm.
Back to the top
Control functions: