Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

What is the most impressive win in the history of FAU football??

I thought this is where the poll about this year's most impressive win was going. So why not kick it around a bit.

Two big wins come to mind.

1) The second game in the history of FAU football at #22 Bethune-Cookman. A miracle win in a downpour after getting dominated a week earlier in the inaugural game for FAU football.

2) Winning at Hawaii. No easy task for any team. FAU did it against a Hawaii team led by Timmy Chang when FAU was still a 1-AA team.

Those are my two picks. Any other thoughts??

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Re: What is the most impressive win in the history of FAU football??

What is the most impressive win in the history of FAU football??

I agree with the Hawaii win. I had just moved to Illinois and was following as many games as I could on the internet. It was a REAL bad connection that night coming from Hawaii but I stayed up till something like 3:00am listening to the game and post game. Unbelievable.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

owlfan1 said

1) The second game in the history of FAU football at #22 Bethune-Cookman.

Coach Wyatt said that "was the worst day of his life" after the game…love it! :D
Back to the top

I think those were all big wins, but the largest win has to be against Troy 2 years ago, we took a piece of the conference and went to our 1st bowl game.  That made us the quickest start-up program to go to a bowl game in d-1 history
Back to the top

I have to say the Minnesota Game, big out of conference victory that I believe got the guys confidence cranked up. I remember after the game you would have thought they won the Super Bowl.  8)
Back to the top

Hawaii was the biggest. Here's why:

- Players were evacuated out of town and didn't know when they would return.
- Their families had NO ELECTRICTY and were getting POUNDED by a hurricane, which would later close schools for days.
- Their girlfriends and families stayed local and some weren't prepared for the hurricane. No food, no water. I had to drive a small relief vehicle to some of them with supplies before I evacuated.
- Fans in Boca were listening to the game on their handheld radios by candlelight. (I was in Key West in a hotel on a 56k model. I purchased the game for $29.99 and was Nextel Direct Connecting the game back to three cheerleaders, who in turn passed it on to others, who in turned passed it on to others, etc.
- We were in HAWAII and we kept our calm, stayed collected, and won in a come-from-behind victory, in overtime, after we had a chance to WIN IT in regulation, but Mark Myers missed the extra point, which would eventually send the game into overtime.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

smittysahoot said

Hawaii was the biggest. Here's why:

- Players were evacuated out of town and didn't know when they would return.
- Their families had NO ELECTRICTY and were getting POUNDED by a hurricane, which would later close schools for days.
- Their girlfriends and families stayed local and some weren't prepared for the hurricane. No food, no water. I had to drive a small relief vehicle to some of them with supplies before I evacuated.
- Fans in Boca were listening to the game on their handheld radios by candlelight. (I was in Key West in a hotel on a 56k model. I purchased the game for $29.99 and was Nextel Direct Connecting the game back to three cheerleaders, who in turn passed it on to others, who in turned passed it on to others, etc.
- We were in HAWAII and we kept our calm, stayed collected, and won in a come-from-behind victory, in overtime, after we had a chance to WIN IT in regulation, but Mark Myers missed the extra point, which would eventually send the game into overtime.

i remember having to call you guys during that storm, if any of you guys got calls from a surveyer i'm sorry our management wouldn't let us stop calling.
Back to the top

That was a memorable one Smitty…I got to listen to the first 3 plays of the game on radio as Jean? was bearing down on Boca Raton and they peeled away from play by play for more important hurricane news.

From a stance of most impressive wins, I think Hawaii gets it, but I don't know if it's the most "important" win in the history of our program.

If we could have only hit a field goal against USF…
Back to the top

Agreed.  Hawaii as most impressive but maybe not most important.  It is very difficult to beat Hawaii in Hawaii…and we did it as a I-AA team.

My Hawaii story is that I could not get any AM reception in my house during the game most likely due to the hurricane shutters.  I listened to the game at 3am sitting in my car (engine not running) in my secured garage as the storm was coming through because I could get somewhat garbled reception in my car.  Good times.

I think the magnitude of this win was somewhat lost at the time because everyone was cleaning up after the storm and probably many (except die hard fans) didn't even pay attention to the result of that game.

Back to the top

fauowl said

Agreed.  Hawaii as most impressive but maybe not most important.  It is very difficult to beat Hawaii in Hawaii…and we did it as a I-AA team.

My Hawaii story is that I could not get any AM reception in my house during the game most likely due to the hurricane shutters.  I listened to the game at 3am sitting in my car (engine not running) in my secured garage as the storm was coming through because I could get somewhat garbled reception in my car.  Good times.

I think the magnitude of this win was somewhat lost at the time because everyone was cleaning up after the storm and probably many (except die hard fans) didn't even pay attention to the result of that game.

Let's not forget that at the time, Hawaii's QB Timmy Chang was breaking records for the most yards and most TDs in a season.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top
Control functions: