Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Great Read! The History of Florida Atlantic University

Add topic

"In the beginning, there was an airbase – the Boca Raton Army Air Field, to be exact. This facility, one of the few radar training schools operated by the U.S. Army Air Corps during World War Two, opened in October 1942 in the sleepy coastal resort town of Boca Raton. The base, which eventually covered more than 5,800 acres, did its part to help win the war, teaching the relatively new art of radar operation to thousands of airmen, including those who were aboard the Enola Gay on its fateful run to Hiroshima in 1945. By the 1950s, however, the base had outlived its usefulness; the radar training school it once housed had moved to Biloxi, Mississippi, and weeds grew tall around the landing strips that once saw a steady stream of arriving and departing B-17 and B-29 bombers. The war was over, and America was facing new challenges, including the imminent coming of age of the first wave of Baby Boomers. Members of the most economically privileged generation in U.S. history, they were going to seek higher education in record numbers, and Florida’s colleges and universities were in no way prepared for the onslaught."

Source: fau.edu

Full Entry
Back to the top

Re: Great Read! The History of Florida Atlantic University

It appears to be a copy + paste from: FAU's Offical History on fau.edu
I knew I had read that before!

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

smittysahoot said

It appears to be a copy + paste from: FAU's Offical History on fau.edu
I knew I had read that before!

And here I always go to lengths to ensure proper credit is given, and she did not!

We'll fix that!
Back to the top

Great Read! The History of Florida Atlantic University

IMHO, the history in the Wikipedia FAU article is better: FAU - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Back to the top
Control functions: