Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Sun Belt looks to renew, alter bowl deal

"We're going to have to have some flexibility to make sure we're providing the best team for not only this bowl, but other bowls".

- Wright Waters, Sun Belt commissioner

Story
Back to the top

Re: Sun Belt looks to renew, alter bowl deal

Rick said

"We're going to have to have some flexibility to make sure we're providing the best team for not only this bowl, but other bowls".

Story

I am afraid the SBC commissioner tipped his hand a little too much with this move. As of now NO bowl is only direct tie for SBC teams and bc of that they should get the first pick, which is the best team in SBC.  Nothing is keeping the NO bowl from shopping that spot to another conference.  IF SBC is not careful their lone bowl tie in will be Hawaii,  talk about killing your conference.  It cost most teams over a million to send a team to HI and yet the bowl pays less, it has all the makings of a SBC nightmare.
Back to the top

Sideshow2313 said

Rick said

Story

I am afraid the SBC commissioner tipped his hand a little too much with this move. As of now NO bowl is only direct tie for SBC teams and bc of that they should get the first pick, which is the best team in SBC.  Nothing is keeping the NO bowl from shopping that spot to another conference.  IF SBC is not careful their lone bowl tie in will be Hawaii,  talk about killing your conference.  It cost most teams over a million to send a team to HI and yet the bowl pays less, it has all the makings of a SBC nightmare.

Good point!

IMO, it's a calculated attempt at early leveraging…he obviously feels that the league is making strides, and is trying to cash in/be proactive, rather than get into a situation where we should be playing in a higher bowl and have to settle…
Back to the top

Sun Belt looks to renew, alter bowl deal

Rick: Check your PMs and e-mail bud!

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

I like SBC Prez move IF SBC has another bowl in line who they think they can move their champion to but as of now, SBC only has NO Bowl and they have the power.  He might be positioning himself so that Orlando (when approved) can get the SBC champion and Orlando would be direct tie in.  I think he thinks bc SBC is based in NO, SBC has enough swing to keep their spot but its risky.

If you like Bowl shakeups this next offseason will be really fun.
There are tons of bowls which will have conference openings after this year.

Hawaii  (CUSA has one year contract and wants out)
Orlando (when approved will be be CUSA vs Sunbelt )
GMAC (one year contract)
New Orleans (last year )
I am sure there will be a few more..

The problem with bowls shakeup/invites are about eyes and wallets and the best team is secondary. 
Back to the top
Control functions: