Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

A creative way to put more butts on the stands

This is what FAU should try as an experiment.
It might work!

Western Kentucky goes door-to-door – again
July 23, 2009 11:00 AM
Posted by ESPN.com's Graham Watson

For the third consecutive year, member of the Western Kentucky football team will go door-to-door selling football tickets.

This has got to be one of my favorite promotions.

The players will visit eight Bowling Green, Ky., neighborhoods on July 28 and 30. For just $30, fan will be able to see all six of the Hilltoppers home games.

Last season, Western Kentucky players sold 300 season tickets door-to-door., and the Hilltoppers enjoyed the second-highest average attendance figures in school history. Student attendance has increased more than 80 percent from 2006 to 2008.

"This initiative has had a positive impact for our program in many ways," coach David Elson said. "It is always good when our players and coaches can interact within the community, and we are fortunate to have a very supportive and loyal fan base. We have had a lot of success selling season tickets doing this, and it gives our players a better understanding of the business aspect of sales and marketing. And, any contest among teammates is sure to result in some good natured competition and will help our overall camaraderie."

I must say that this year's promotion is slightly more intriguing than last year simply because Western Kentucky is an FBS school attached to the Sun Belt Conference. I could see doing this to drum up support as a provisional, but as a full-fledged member of a conference that able to participate in a bowl game is pretty interesting.

This year, the group of players and coaches that sell the most tickets will be treated to a cookout at coach David Elson's house and will be excused from early morning breakfast checks for a week.

Western Kentucky Hilltoppers, David Elson
Back to the top

Re: A creative way to put more butts on the stands

AlexFAU06 said

This is what FAU should try as an experiment.
It might work!

Western Kentucky goes door-to-door – again
July 23, 2009 11:00 AM
Posted by ESPN.com's Graham Watson

For the third consecutive year, member of the Western Kentucky football team will go door-to-door selling football tickets.

This has got to be one of my favorite promotions.

The players will visit eight Bowling Green, Ky., neighborhoods on July 28 and 30. For just $30, fan will be able to see all six of the Hilltoppers home games.

Last season, Western Kentucky players sold 300 season tickets door-to-door., and the Hilltoppers enjoyed the second-highest average attendance figures in school history. Student attendance has increased more than 80 percent from 2006 to 2008.

$30 per season ticket would never work at FAU

FAU will have 50+million dollar bond. Even at low rate of 5%,  FAU will need 2,500,000 pe year just to pay the interest.  Add in principal pay down (at some point you have to) and you have 3,500,000 (Pmt needed to pay down 50M at 5% within 30 years) million needed per year.  Assume you have no body bag games and have 6 home games per year, so via stadium revenue you need 584K per game.

30K seats
5K seats set aside for opposing team which is mandated
8-10K seats given to student (which you receive no ticket revenue ; ath fees but can’t be used to fund bond)
Which leaves 15K season tickets to be sold.

At $ 30 per season ticket that is $ 5 per game.  5X15,000 = 75K is which way too little to fund your bond. Of course you will have concessions, club seats and other revenue but as a rule you need most of your rev to come from ticket sales.

Last I saw, UCF’s avg is $30 for games for general admission with expectation of UM which is like $ 45 per game.

$5 might work if you already have the stadium paid for; but not when you have to make payments.
Back to the top

A creative way to put more butts on the stands

That is a cool idea, but I'm not sure it would work around Boca.  Way too many gated communities ;D.  I have an idea of something similar though, how about all the new resident's get a free ticket to the first home game?  Maybe after that we could get some new fans who otherwise would not think to come to a game.

EDIT, my theory would probably only work this year at Lockhart, like Sideshow says, once our new "house" is up, we will need the money, but the stadium should be an attention getter on it's own anyway.

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top

Why not go nuts and:

1. Hire a sober coach

2. Recruit players that aren't a joke
Back to the top

You're speaking a foreign language, sideshow. LOL But what I did see was that you said 5,000 seats mandated for visiting team? I think that number is inaccurate. I believe it's four tickets per player, times 55 players.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

I don't think the door-to-door strategy will work in south Florida, considering most communities - especially in Boca Raton - are gated (i.e. No Soliciting!!!).

"FAU is on a collision course with the national championship. The only variable is time."
Back to the top

I was just thinking about a short term goal for lockhart.
The tickets don't have to cost $30.00
They can be sold for $15.00 + and add a hot-dog.
anyways, it was just an idea!

BingoBango: what a stupid comment man.

Back to the top

Maybe Bingo didn't enjoy enough time in the corner last go around…
Back to the top
Control functions: