Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

It's Not Rusty, But The DEFENSE!

Guys in reading all the material that I can find on FAU for this upcoming season, it appears that they all have one common theme and that is; It's not Rusty who will be the reason the Owls go bowling for a third straight year, but our defense or in listening to the experts, the lack there of. Can we stop the run and can we get a sack with the new guys. In fact, who are these new guys that we will be looking to?
Back to the top

Re: It's Not Rusty, But The DEFENSE!

Cyrille, and Cox are two keys to the pass rush…Cyrille should, IMO, receive all conference considerations at some point in his career as an Owl…don't know about this year, but the guy is skilled!
Back to the top

It's Not Rusty, But The DEFENSE!

Don't know if Cyrille and Cox will be enough. We have to find a way to at least slow down the run. We didn't do it last year with Frantz, Javonte and the rest of the gang or in the spring game where Morris had his way with the front seven. So…… although I'm hoping against hope, I'm not seeing it this year either. The O will need to put up 40 points a game to even have a chance against the likes of USC, Troy, heck even Arkansas State. Don't know Owls Fans, I'm worried already…….
Back to the top

You have to consider that Spring practices and scrimages are controlled events…the Coaches are in full command of what the individual units run…they know what they are evaluating, and make it a point to run plays that will produce the information (strength & weakness) they are looking to get a judgement about…

I hear ya though…our D is the BIG "?" for the season…

We have alot of raw talent and "some" returning talent…time will tell :)
Back to the top

scrimmages are controlled but thats on both sides of the ball. Our O found our  D's weak spots and exploited them. So I'm sure the teams in their preparation to play us will see the same weaknesses. Hopefully by the time we get into our conference schedules, someone would have stepped up and established themself as someone to be reckoned with.
Back to the top

Is it correct that we only have 3 starters returning on defense from last year!!! This is definitely a weakness in defense which was a sore spot last year with some very embarrassing games... What about Special Teams!!! They really need to play consistently this season or they will easily lose a couple games for us... need I mention the football and helmet experience????
Back to the top

Rick said

Cyrille, and Cox are two keys to the pass rush…Cyrille should, IMO, receive all conference considerations at some point in his career as an Owl…don't know about this year, but the guy is skilled!

Not that he will produce sacks, but Savage draws double teams which will free up other guys to blitz.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

I bet Givens has a huge year too. The defense will be better in a year from now but I don't know what to expect this year. There's three guys playing professionally right now, franz, small and jackson. it just goes to show the cast around those guys were suspect or the coaching isn't there. the defense has been bad for a long time now. needs to change asap.

the line seems to have some quality players, the linebackers scare me though. the young guys coming up with probably be starters sooner then later, patee, morgan.
Back to the top
Control functions: