Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Stadium: When and How Big? Ted Has the Answer..

Add topic

30,000 seats opening in 2011.

FAU Owls Blog - Latest Owls News, Video & More - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Not a surprise and it is the right move.  Spend the extra season at Lockhart if it means building the stadium right the first time.  Biggest new news from the blog is that there is a $10 million over 10 year naming rights deal in the works.  Bottom line though is that the stadium is coming in 2011 with construction starting early next year.  ;D
Back to the top

Re: Stadium: When and How Big? Ted Has the Answer..

No, no surprise…and agree that it is the right move…

Most importantly, glad it puts some finality to the waiting game…

Now if everyone who doubted, ranted, moaned, and "whaaaaaaah'd" for the last two years would just pony up some Praise for the Admin getting the job done, we're good!

:D
Back to the top

What about the City of Boca Raton??? I thought that FAU had to wait for a 2nd I-95 interchange to be built at Spanish River before we could build the stadium etc??? Any news on this?
Back to the top

Boone said

What about the City of Boca Raton??? I thought that FAU had to wait for a 2nd I-95 interchange to be built at Spanish River before we could build the stadium etc??? Any news on this?

I talked with somebody who interned for the city and he said the earliest any construction can begin on an intersection is 2012.

FAU cannot and should not wait on the city. They're just going to need to deal with it.
Back to the top

and lets be serious, even if there are 30k fans in the stadium, its not like the traffic associated with a Penn St or Texas game, it'll be figured out.
Back to the top

…and when you consider there are what like 20k+ students plus faculty on the Boca campus every school day it really shouldn't be a huge issue until we expand the stadium. 
Back to the top

Most if not all of the games are played on Saturdays as well when the normal traffic is way off the peak times.  It's not an issue it is just something the city can b**ch about.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

The traffic on Glades concern is something people from the city complained about years ago when the plan was for a 60,000 seat multi-purpose dome.  That would have been in use for concerts, sporting events, trade shows, etc.  Now that the plan calls for a 30,000 seat open air football stadium, traffic is a non-issue.  The stadium will host 6 or 7 FAU home games, with the vast majority occuring on Saturday afternoons.  I'm sure the stadium will also host some high school football and some other events, but none of which will occur during the week or during peak traffic hours.  
Back to the top

Do we have anything official from the school yet?
OWLUMNI ?????
Back to the top

Stadium: When and How Big? Ted Has the Answer..

TeamBeer said

and lets be serious, even if there are 30k fans in the stadium, its not like the traffic associated with a Penn St or Texas game, it'll be figured out.

fauowls44 said

The traffic on Glades concern is something people from the city complained about years ago when the plan was for a 60,000 seat multi-purpose dome.  That would have been in use for concerts, sporting events, trade shows, etc.  Now that the plan calls for a 30,000 seat open air football stadium, traffic is a non-issue.  The stadium will host 6 or 7 FAU home games, with the vast majority occuring on Saturday afternoons.  I'm sure the stadium will also host some high school football and some other events, but none of which will occur during the week or during peak traffic hours.

After living in Norman, OK (OU's home town), where they have two dinky roads (literally) going into town and the stadium for ALL traffic to come from (both of which start out four lane roads, and quickly merge into two lane roads well before the heart of campus), can attest that this will be a breeze…especially given that they have a stadium which holds 3x what this one will…

We have four entry points to the campus…two on glades, one on 20th, and one on Spanish River - all four lanes…

I-95's Glades Road exit will be the source of major traffic to travel from outside of Boca, but you can just as easily get off at Palmetto, or Yamato and then travel four lane roads to the campus…or even take Federal or Dixie…

Not to mention Spanish River will eventually have an exit; albeit later, as Owlcountry commented on…

Not seeing any cause for concern…they are just going to have to deal with it…and they should be happy that outside dollars are coming into the City as well for necessary amenities:  food, gas, etc…
Back to the top
Control functions: