Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Rusty, FAU's Defensive Player of the Year?

As most of you football minds know, defense wins championships. That being said, I'll put this out there for thought; If Rusty only averages about 275 yards per game and the O rushes for another 125 plus per game, we will have a better record than if Rusty throws for 4000 yards this season. My point is, if we run a successful ball control offense, the defense will not be on the field as much, thus less of a liability. If we have a quick strike offense, then I think we will be in shootouts which if we haven't developed a pass rusher, we will find ourselves on the short end more often than not. Therefore, though it will cost him stats, Rusty has to become the defensive player of the year.
Back to the top

Re: Rusty, FAU's Defensive Player of the Year?

Also, the longer the offense stays on the field, the more rested the defense will be. The opposing team's defense hopefully we be on the field more and will get fatigued.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

If the o-line does its job, we have the backfield to move the ball…would definitely expect some wrinkles back there…

Jackson said earlier in the Spring that they hoped to make the play book more balanced than last year; which was very pass heavy at times…
Back to the top

Rusty, FAU's Defensive Player of the Year?

Morris struck me as a RB that can carry the load. He has great vision, better than average speed, the ability to make people miss and the ability to run over a defender. He also has a low center of gravity which I tend to think makes a better RB. Just look at the build of some of the great ones ie.. Emmit, Barry, Thurman just to name a few all were about 5'9 210lbs-220lbs. Morris fits the mold. If we have a better than average running game, you are correct, the defense will be well rested and it will open up the passing game even more for Rusty and the gang.
Back to the top

I think Willie Rose is good for a handful of carries per game as well.....

"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower
Back to the top

Rose will get his touches but the majority of them will probably come in the form of a swing pass. He's a tough runner as well, but he does play FB, thus his carries will be limited.
Back to the top

Agree, with you in the notion that this pattern of play calling will continue…he actually carried a fair number of times last year…

2008:

Rose 62 for 307 = 4.95 YPC

Edgecomb 93 for 469 = 5.04 YPC

Pierre 161 for 1,014 = 6.29 YPC

Rose 62 of 316 TC = 19.6% Total carries

Obviously he was not the feature back…but he is very effective off of the mix in play - especially the draw…
Back to the top

Man with those averages per carry, how did we end up 6-6? They appear to be perfect ball control type numbers, but the defense looked as though they were on the field a lot more than these numbers would indicate.
Back to the top

Hootyhoot said

Man with those averages per carry, how did we end up 6-6?

I know right?!

Too many DROPPED PASSES on the other side of the offense…….

(we were 7-6) ;D
Back to the top

7-6 with the bowl win. But I was looking at the regular season and was trying to see how we could average such a big number rushing the ball and still go 6-6. Just doesn't equate to a 6-6 season, almost 1800 yards rushing and 3000 passing. Hmmmm.
Back to the top
Control functions: