Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Sun Belt Football: "Win or stay home."

"The Sun Belt Conference learned a tough lesson last year – win or stay home.

Last July, the Sun Belt Conference inked a secondary bowl agreement with the Independence, Papajohns.com and St. Petersburg bowls. But there was some confusion in the language. Commissioner Wright Waters said his intent was that if the secondary bowls couldn't fill their guarantee slots, then they'd pick the next eligible Sun Belt team at 7-5, and if they were no 7-5 teams, they'd pick a 6-6 team."

Full Article
Back to the top

Re: Sun Belt Football: "Win or stay home."

Sun Belt Football: "Win or stay home."

Very True,

Win or stay home.

The belt is getting stronger every year and its perception as the bottom feeder is going away. Its not gonna be overnight but it can and will change.

I think were stronger then the MAC already.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

By the way the SunBelt has a pretty active message board as well and things are starting to heatup a bit with FB season around the corner.

CSNbbs - SunBeltbbs

We need some more FAU representation on there. Me, NCOWL and OwlCountry40 are regulars but we are outnumbered even by FIU fans, and that just isnt acceptable! ;D

Lots of good information on there about all the SunBelt sports.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

I think the SunBelt will go as FAU and FIU go.  If both programs can prove to recruit and coach these south florida players along with having facilities that rival those of other big programs it will go a long way to a) the reputation of both FAU and FIU b) make the rivalry a real rivalry which is good for both programs and c) make the Belt a much more feared and reputable conference.

I believe its a matter of time before FAU, FIU, Troy etc. are going to be seen as programs that are ahead of the best programs in the MAC and Conference USA (if they aren't already) just like the Mountain West with teams like Utah, Bosie State, BYU, and TCU.  Every year a team like Utah does what it did in 08 it makes programs like BYU and TCU look more legit and bring more relevance to their conference games and the players they have.  I think a SunBelt team will make a run at a BCS game in the near future especially with FAU and FIU upgrading their facilities and becoming serious programs.  Lets remember that these kids are going to stay home more and more as these programs gain reputation.

Personally, I love beating FIU and making them look inferior…but just like Ohio State and Michigan the game only means as much as those teams are good, especailly on a national level.  I would love to attend a FAU vs. FIU game where both teams are 8-2 and vying for a serious bowl spot where recruits could come to the game and see a passionate, electric experience.  Maybe I am wrong.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

I think the SunBelt will go as FAU and FIU go.

Agree!

(throw Troy in as well)

That was the plan when they granted us both membership…….
Back to the top

owlfamily said

Very True,

Win or stay home.

The belt is getting stronger every year and its perception as the bottom feeder is going away. Its not gonna be overnight but it can and will change.

I think were stronger then the MAC already.

I don't know if I agree with that. I know FAU beat CMU in a bowl game, but I think the MAC still has some pretty strong teams throughout, not just at the top. This changes year to year of course, but Central Michigan, Western Michigan, Buffalo, Ball State, Northern Illinois, and Toledo have all had success and made bowl games over the past 3 or 4 years. More bowl eligible teams and more bowl teams than the SBC. Of course one could argue about the bowl system and who gets invites,  but I do see the MAC as being on par or better than the SBC.

A look at the MAC vs. BCS last year and here are some notable wins.

Akron beat Syracuse
Ball State beat Indiana
Bowling Green beat Pitt
CMU beat Indiana
Toledo beat Michigan
WMU beat Illinois

That is just last year. Granted none of those teams were top teams last year (Pitt was ranked #25 when they lost), but remember how excited we all were when FAU beat Minnesota? My point is that the MAC deserves a bit more credit.

GO OWLS!!!

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top
Control functions: