Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

ESPN Q&A with Jeff Brohm Part 2 of 2...

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/ncfnation/0-10-146/Part-II--Q-A-with-FAU-quarterbacks-coach-Jeff-Brohm.html

Part II: Q&A with FAU quarterbacks coach Jeff Brohm

August 12, 2009 11:00 AM

Posted by ESPN.com's Graham Watson

This is Part II of a two-part Q&A with Florida Atlantic quarterbacks coach Jeff Brohm.

How much fun has it been for you taking a quarterback who isn't on a major team, doesn't get all the Heisman hype and all that stuff, and really try and make him into a viable NFL prospect?

Jeff Brohm: It's been a lot of fun. I've gotten to come back here and get back to my roots of just coaching the quarterbacks and get to do it on an every day basis and really not be surrounded by the publicity and the media. I can really get to the roots of just coaching football, having fun with it and really trying to be the best you can be. Coaching under coach [Schnellenberger] has been great. I think he realizes that a lot of his best quarterbacks are guys that not only ran the offense, but they were individuals and they were creative, and he wants them to take the offense upon [their] shoulders and run it. He gives the quarterback as much freedom as anyone to run the show and that's why it is such a fun place to play. He does prepare his quarterbacks for the next level because he allows them to grow and to mature and to be the best player and to have it all on his shoulders.

You mentioned the publicity and the media and all that stuff, and it seemed like a lot of that stuff fell on you a little bit at Louisville. How much did that affect you and the way you started coaching?

JB: Well, I think you have to have total confidence in the head coach, you've got to click with everything he believes in and wants to do. I think that's important for every coordinator. If that's not happening then things might not click as well. So, I know here with coach [Schnellenberger] I played in this offense, I know how it works, coach knows how it works, coach knows how it prepares guys for the next level. Basically, it's a pro-style offense and I think a lot of kids want to come and play in that and not only win games and try to win championships, but it will help prepare them for the next level. They will be more ready and acclimated for that if they get the opportunity. It's been a lot of fun getting back in this environment and really believing in what we're doing and having fun with it.

How different for you is the Sun Belt compared to the Big East?

JB: It's a different conference, obviously. You're going to have different levels of players at every position, but I think it's an up-and-coming league. There are some good skill players, the linemen are getting better and I think they're ready to make a move. Every year there's getting to be more and more parity in the league, teams are getting stronger. Those teams are competing against some of the bigger conferences when they get a chance to play them during the year. So I think it's getting stronger every year. I see it hopefully taking off.

Have you offered up your brother or any other quarterbacks that you've worked with in the past as additional resources for Rusty?

JB: He's asked me numerous questions about football, but also the next level. And while he hasn't talked to anyone else I know, I just give him my opinion of how maybe I went through it, how my brother Brian went through it, and how to handle situations like that where it doesn't become a distraction and he's able to totally focus on getting better his senior year and winning games. All that other stuff, after the season, will take care of itself. We've talked about numerous things like that and hopefully I've been able to help him with that, which I think I have. He definitely comes to me quite a bit with questions.

As a senior quarterback, how do you keep those next level distractions, expectations and the pressure of trying to up your draft status or get noticed away from him, away from the team and keep him focused on what the team needs to do this season?

JB: I've obviously tried to work with him on every aspect of his game all the time. But we sat down after spring and we set some goals that we wanted to get achieved for this coming year. And while they weren't elaborate, we tried to keep them simple and to the point and I think if he concentrates and focuses on those things instead of worrying about anything else that goes on, just concentrates on those things, everything will take care of itself. He's just got to go out and play, have fun with it, relax and do what he's best at.

Since Rusty's in his final year, what are you looking at in terms of the future of this program at the quarterback position and some guys stepping in next year?

JB: This is an important year for us. Coach [Schnellenberger] and this program have been able to get two bowl wins in a row and obviously, they'd like to make it a third. We'd like to have an opportunity to maybe, not only compete and win our conference, but try to win some of those nonconference games that we've scheduled to help us take that next step. And at quarterback, you're always going to need one in this offense that's a guy who can drop back and throw it, make plays, be a leader and be a student of the game. Right now, we're trying to get the other guys ready just in case, and trying to recruit the best ones we can as well because we know how important that position is. That is something we're very conscious of.

No one ever really talks about the backup, who is the primary backup right now?

JB: We have a backup in Jeff VanCamp, who's just a redshirt junior. He's really set and he's been behind Rusty for years. He wasn't recruited very highly at all by anyone, but I think he's come here, I think he's worked hard to develop his game and I think he's a good backup. He can do a lot of things Rusty can, he just hasn't been out on the field to be able to learn and grow from it. It's unfortunate that he's a year behind, but I think when Rusty gets done playing, Jeff will be ready to finish out his fifth year and I think he'll do an excellent job for us as well.

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Re: ESPN Q&A with Jeff Brohm Part 2 of 2...

Graham is doing a really nice job lately…we might have thrown her under the bus prematurely with the "FIU luv thang"! ;D
Back to the top

ESPN Q&A with Jeff Brohm Part 2 of 2...

Rick said

Graham is doing a really nice job lately…we might have thrown her under the bus prematurely with the "FIU luv thang"! ;D

haha nah 3 stories on FAU doesn't get her off the hook….yet

Back to the top

I'm open…just as long as there is none of this:

Back to the top

Rick said

I'm open…just as long as there is none of this:

hahah damn swine flu!

Back to the top
Control functions: