Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Howard predicting a win over Nebraska, didn't he learn from last season?

Sorry if this was posted, I just found this amusing.  I know that FAU is a good team and you want to be confident, but is putting win predictions in the press the way to go?

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/fau-owls/sfl-081209fauday4,0,971645.story
This year Schnellenberger is choosing his words carefully in regards to this year's first opponent, No. 22 Nebraska.

Schnellenberger praised Nebraska and the Huskers storied past, but said FAU still could come away with a win if they play a flawless game and force some turnovers.

"We are not going to go in there and blow them out. I am talking about coming behind in the fourth quarter and nipping them at the finish line," Schnellenberger said.
Back to the top

Re: Howard predicting a win over Nebraska, didn't he learn from last season?

Howard predicting a win over Nebraska, didn't he learn from last season?

I wouldn't call that statement predicting a win.  I know he put his foot in his mouth last year but saying if you team preforms flawlessly and forces some turnovers we might have a shot and win in the last minutes is not exactly over the line.  He does have to show some confidence in his players and that statement sounds about right in my opinion.  Not exactly fodder for their locker room wall.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Pretty Mild.

Texas last year was NOT. That was true fodder.

If my coach WASNT telling the press/players/fans that we had a shot at a win then I really wouldnt him as coach anymore.

Especially with the words "COULD come away with a win".

We certainly could. 9 times out of 10 Nebraska wins this game. Were hoping that this is that one in 10 chance for us.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

caveman99 said

I know that FAU is a good team and you want to be confident, but is putting win predictions in the press the way to go?

Would you prefer Coach to tell the press, FAU is going to get slaughtered. We have no chance of winning, in fact we might just forfeit. No, Coach is going to back his team, think positively, and plans to win.

"FAU is on a collision course with the national championship. The only variable is time."
Back to the top

Owlando said

Would you prefer Coach to tell the press, FAU is going to get slaughtered. We have no chance of winning, in fact we might just forfeit.

That's my vote!

(kidding!)
Back to the top

We legitimately have a chance against Nebraska, it's a small one but with their inexperienced QB, if we stack the box and figure out how to stop their pretty dominating running game (which will be very difficult) and force one of their two green QBs to throw against our secondary then we've got a shot.

Then our offense has to gel and put up 40 points as well.  :)

And then, after a pick 6 and some other bounces, we might win

But what Schnelly said was hardly a prediction…
Back to the top

I love it!!!  I don't want to be overly optimistic, however I have a good feeling about this game!!  I have been putting my money were my mouth is also!!  Why not?  I have been taking 20 points all day long–some bets are for a six pack and some are for some coin!

I will give you 3 reasons why I feel good about going into Nebraska:

1. Rusty Smith
2. 3 Great TE's–I can't tell you how happy I am to have Harmon back :)
3. Focus and getting back to 2007 football!!

You're the MAN Howard!!

GO OWLS!!
Back to the top

caveman99 said

Sorry if this was posted, I just found this amusing.  I know that FAU is a good team and you want to be confident, but is putting win predictions in the press the way to go?

He's not predicting a win as if it's definite. He's saying if it happens, this is how it will happen.
Back to the top

Give him time.  He will eventually say something very stupid.  Anyone remember this one; When he was hired at OK, he said that they will never lose another game that that books will be written about his tenure there.  We all know how that ended. :D :D 
Back to the top

TeamBeer said

We legitimately have a chance against Nebraska, it's a small one but with their inexperienced QB, if we stack the box and figure out how to stop their pretty dominating running game (which will be very difficult) and force one of their two green QBs to throw against our secondary then we've got a shot.

Then our offense has to gel and put up 40 points as well.  :)

And then, after a pick 6 and some other bounces, we might win

But what Schnelly said was hardly a prediction…

I don't know if you guys should stack the box against us, considering we have been using a west coast type of spread offense. We will try to spread you guys out and use short controlled passes to compliment the run game, and we use a lot of play action.
Back to the top
Control functions: