Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Nebraska QB Out for Season with ACL Tear

Well, you hate to see it happen, but our chances just improved a bit. He was still battling for the starting job with Lee but nonetheless:

Spano Tears Same ACL; Lost for Season | Husker Locker
Nebraska’s quarterback situation just got even dicier than it was in the spring.

Redshirt freshman Kody Spano is out again. Spano, who tore his ACL in the spring and spent all summer furiously rehabbing to recover in time for fall camp, did it again to same knee, and has been lost for the rest of the season, head coach Bo Pelini confirmed Wednesday.

“Football,” Pelini said. “That’s what happens. Just running. It was a non-contact injury. Happens.”

Spano should “probably be full speed come winter conditioning,” Pelini said.

In Spano’s absence, walk-on Ron Kellogg III has been pulled up onto the 105-man roster and began working out with the team Wednesday. He must wait five practices before he can wear pads, and thus worked out in only shorts today. Pelini didn’t have a chance to talk Kellogg, the Omaha Westside product was around for summer workouts.

While Zac Lee has all but sealed up the starting job, the backup role again looks murky. True freshman Cody Green and junior LaTravis Washington seemingly become the frontrunners for the No. 2 spot, with another true freshman, Taylor Martinez, more in the mix.

“We’ll be OK,” Pelini said. “Those guys are coming along. We wish Kody was still with us. But he’s not. That’s just part of the deal, we move on. I’m not worried about us, I’m worried about him. He worked his butt off to come back. I feel bad for the little kid.”

Washington said the other quarterbacks were informed during meetings Wednesday. The 6-3, 220-pounder moved from linebacker in the spring and played fairly well in the Red/White Spring Game, but he continues to work on his understanding of the offense.

“The thing I’ve got to get better at now is knowing when I can take my deeper looks,” Washington said. “Reading safeties – that’s my struggle right now.”

Green, meanwhile, looks the part at 6-foot-4, 220 pounds.

He’s also 18 years old, and there is some sense that NU coaches might like to redshirt him for a year of development – and also his playing clock doesn’t overlap too significantly with that of Lee, who is a junior. Martinez is playing catch-up with the playbook, having just arrived over the summer, while Kellogg figures to be a scout-teamer in 2009.
Permanent Link to this Blog Post

Tags: fall camp, kody spano, cody green, latravis washington, zae lee, taylor martinez, ron kellogg

Comments (5 of 5)
Join Now! or Log In to post comments.

Back to the top

Re: Nebraska QB Out for Season with ACL Tear

I hate to wish that onto anyone or any team!  Best of luck to his recovery!

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Ditto!

Nasty injury…
Back to the top

Spano is just their backup QB. That doesn't really give us an advantage, unless Zac Lee gets hurt or becomes suspended.

"FAU is on a collision course with the national championship. The only variable is time."
Back to the top

Well, up until now their two QB choices were a rs freshman and a guy who had two pass attempts last year…

And now they're down to the guy who had two pass attempts last year, so it's looking good.
Back to the top

TeamBeer said

Well, up until now their two QB choices were a rs freshman and a guy who had two pass attempts last year…

And now they're down to the guy who had two pass attempts last year, so it's looking good.

Exactly…Lee has not been a QB at this level…until he proves himself in game situation, it's up for grabs…they will likely pound the ball on the ground and play it safe - as they can…although they have said they want a true mix of plays in the call plan…we'll see…
Back to the top

TeamBeer said

Zac Lee has clearly been the starter for the entire off season, while Spano had been competing with everyone else for the top back up role. That's just based off the spring game, comments from coaches, and comments from players.
Back to the top

You just don't understand Cornhusker, FAU is now going to stomp Nebraska because they have a QB and a few TE's.  How they forget about their very young D and lack of depth.
Back to the top

Nebraska QB Out for Season with ACL Tear

It really doesn't matter who's calling the signals for the Cornhuskers. We have to stop the RUN!!! Is our young D up to that? I hear that the D is the most athletic it's ever been. But can they handle the pounding from the big O-line we know Nebraska will have?
Back to the top

Hootyhoot said

It really doesn't matter who's calling the signals for the Cornhuskers. We have to stop the RUN!!! Is our young D up to that? I hear that the D is the most athletic it's ever been. But can they handle the pounding from the big O-line we know Nebraska will have?

It is very athletic & talented - not many starters returning on the defensive side, but they are plenty of players with playing experience.  Some key positions do lack depth, the key for the defense will be to limit mistakes, we all know how quickly a game can turn and the defensive players have many reminders from last season to reflect on.

Staying focus on every play and having short term memory will make a huge difference for the defensive unit this season.  They have the potential to be as dominant of a defensive unit we've ever had, problem will be, when will they develop to becoming that type of cohersive unit.  May or may not happen this season, I get the feeling that the players do not want a repeat of last year and will be playing with a chip on their shoulders - will it be enough?

The Nebraska game will be a HUGE test for the young defense, but could be the type of game they need. 
Back to the top
Control functions: