Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Fau the non commuting school?

Add topic

I did orientation for Greek life I met a ton of out of state mostly from the north east FAU is a very popular school up there. I also met just a few kids that said they were commuting. Now that the dorms are like 90 percent freshmen more are living on campus and the kids i met that didn't get into the dorms are going to places like addsion park bicycle club.
Back to the top

Re: Fau the non commuting school?

There's an article on Ted's Blog about how there's been a record # applications for this year.

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/college/fau/blog/2009/08/fau_gets_record_number_of_appl.html

FAU gets record number of applications; Rusty does not cuss!
> Posted by Ted Hutton on August 18, 2009 09:41 AM

FAU just reported that a record number of students had applied, and record requested on-campus housing. That bodes well for FAU and Innovation Village, where 2,400 new beds will be built.

More students on campus will mean more at football games (when stadium is on campus) and basketball games and a much better atmosphere on campus.

Here’s some interesting numbers from the story: FAU received 3,483 applications from Broward County this year, a 17% increase, and 2,019 applications from Palm Beach County, a 9% increase.

I have always heard there are more students from Broward than Palm that are enrolled and alums. In some ways, Lockhart is not a bad location given that.

And while the economy surely has something to do with the increase in numbers, I would say the success of the football team and the upcoming Innovation Village/Stadium complex are also factors.

Do any of you hear people complaining about having a football team anymore? Those critics seem to have evaporated.

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

I did orientation for Greek life I met a ton of out of state mostly from the north east FAU is a very popular school up there. I also met just a few kids that said they were commuting. Now that the dorms are like 90 percent freshmen more are living on campus and the kids i met that didn't get into the dorms are going to places like addsion park bicycle club.

Did Addison ever end up lowering the rent?  I wonder if Casa Del Rio got a surge too, people are always moving in or out it seems.
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

bicycle club.

is that place still a dump?? it used to be Catalina Apartments…then they changed the name to make it sound more prestigious…

still Catalina to me!  lol
Back to the top

Here's the release form FAU:

FAU Welcomes Students for Fall 2009 Semester
Record Numbers Reached in Housing Requests, Applications

BOCA RATON, FL (August 17, 2009) – Florida Atlantic University students will make their way back to the residence halls this week to mark the start of the university’s fall 2009 semester.  For the first time in FAU’s history, there were more than 2,700 students who applied to live in the residence halls at FAU’s Boca Raton campus. This increase clearly marks FAU’s continued progression from a commuter university to a traditional university.

Move-In Day is the official day for FAU’s residential students to return to campus. It offers a unique opportunity for students and their families to connect with FAU President Frank T. Brogan and others in the FAU community, including faculty, staff and student groups who are on hand to help them move into the residence halls.  Move-In Day will take place on Wednesday, August 19 beginning at 8 a.m. at FAU’s John D. MacArthur Campus, 5353 Parkside Drive in Jupiter, as well as on Thursday, August 20 beginning at 8 a.m. at FAU’s Boca Raton campus, 777 Glades Road.

FAU received more than 12,800 freshman applications for admission for the fall 2009 semester, as well as nearly 7,500 transfer applications – both a record for the university. The FAU Graduate College also had an 8 percent increase in applications for the fall 2009 semester.

FAU applications reached record numbers. FAU received 3,483 applications from Broward County this year, a 17% increase.  Duval County applications went from 120 to 200, a 67% increase. Brevard County applications increased from 192 to 274, a 43% increase.  And, the university received 2,019 applications from Palm Beach County, a 9% increase.  Overall, FAU had an increase in applications from 40 Florida counties.

Back to the top

I hope we can change FAU to more of a traditional school ASAP!! I graduated in '79 and while there were some dorms, almost everyone I knew, myself included, commuted from Broward. FAU will be so much better when 5, 10, even 20K can live on or real near to campus (5 miles tops)! ALL sports will then be sellouts on a regular basis!!
Back to the top

Rick said

owlcountry40 said

bicycle club.

is that place still a dump?? it used to be Catalina Apartments…then they changed the name to make it sound more prestigious…

still Catalina to me!  lol

They've renovated the units recently.  My agent's office is located in the Bike club's office.  I drop off my check at the lock box.  Seems like an ok place.  However, every time I go there I don't see too many students.  A lot of Immigrants seem to live there.  Casa Del Rio is a better choice IMO, with the buzz/key entry it makes you feel a lot safer.  I can't speak for Bike club but Casa Del Rio is pretty quiet at night except on the weekends of course.  I've heard good things about Cynthia Gardens even though it looks like an outdated dump from the outside.
Back to the top

Fau the non commuting school?

The said

Seems like an ok place.  However, every time I go there I don't see too many students.  A lot of Immigrants seem to live there. 

I've heard Bicycle Club was >90% full of students as recently as last year but since they're so affordable they've been attracting a lot of lower income adult tenants. This is apparently driving away some of the students who used to like it there. It's a shame.

It's not recorded anywhere by Housing but FAU has a decent number of "resident commuters" who live within 5-10 minutes of campus. Other schools record their off-campus student populations because they form university companies which are officially affiliated with that housing. Since we don't do that, it's all speculation. We could very easily have 2400 on campus and another 1600+ off campus right now.

The key is to keep building dorms every year. But FAU seems comfortable with building a new dorm every three years… although that may be because the demand just wasn't there. After all, it wasn't until last year that we had to enact a waitlist for students. In any case, adding dorms at that rate of one 600 bed dorm every three years will take us forever to get our numbers up to where they need to be.

That's what's so great about the Crocker deal. Since they're looking for a high ROI, they're going to want to build dorms fast. And I hope when they finish building all 2400 they negotiate with FAU to build 2400 more in the same kind of phasing pattern, although FAU may have cut Crocker off at 2400 right now so they could jump back in and retain all that revenue later down the line.

I wonder if a private company like Crocker would be interested in building and managing our Greek Row?
Back to the top

owlcountry said

I wonder if a private company like Crocker would be interested in building and managing our Greek Row?

Greek housing seems like eons away.  I'll believe it when I see it (which will probably be by my mid 30's.. ::)…lol)
Back to the top

I know some guys in their mid 30s that thought they'd get Greek Housing back when they were on campus! Once the stadium is done, and they've got IV rocking, it'll be worth discussing. I'd also go as far to say that a lot of it hinges on the new pres they bring in to take over for Brogan.
Back to the top
Control functions: